Thread: showering

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default showering

Besides for surfactents found in cosmetic projects being so bad for your skin and the water supply, I've previously said that I wouldn't shower if I didn't live in a smogy city like LA and this is the reason why. Take care of your health and the health of our environment. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=104662183
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I wish I was self-cleaning but I'm not. I have to take steps before showering every day so I don't trigger my water allergy but I can't imagine not wanting to shower. There isn't a lot of smog or dirt here especially compared to when I lived in NYC but the article makes me want to shower more. Even animals bathe themselves.

By not showering do you mean never? Or only do it a couple times a week? I imagine this would not be pleasant for those around you especially when you get intimate. I use a shower filter for the water.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I shower every day, but I know it is terrible for my skin, which is dry as it is (living in a humid climate was better).

This was on my facebook feed just now, @Maritsa. You might find it interesting.

My No-Soap, No-Shampoo, Bacteria-Rich Hygiene Experiment
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ehh, I can't reply to that thread, banned by the leader of North Korea for not eating people, but I have watched it all, and Spock a.k.a. "Capitalist" Pig is one nervous/anxious Gamma(?lel?) wank I have witnessed so far.

Thanks for a 'hand out', @Aylen.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll go surfactents on my skin

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I shower every day, but I know it is terrible for my skin, which is dry as it is (living in a humid climate was better).

This was on my facebook feed just now, @Maritsa. You might find it interesting.

My No-Soap, No-Shampoo, Bacteria-Rich Hygiene Experiment
    My skin and hair are on the dry side but my skin is not dry or rough looking. I use moisturizing body wash and lotion after showering, plus I live in FL and it does help. I try to stay out of the tanning beds and sun now. I use natural products as much as possible but not always. I mostly co-wash without surfactants but I do use shampoo every other wash and I make sure it is free of the worst drying chemicals. I put a little olive oil in my hair sometimes to make it shine.

Edit: If you have any allergic reactions to water it helps sometimes to put a light coating of olive oil on the skin before getting in the shower. Shower filters are important too. I have experimented with everything to stop the sensory madness that water can induce.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gimme vitamin D.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Becca this is a goodexample of how HA Si and Te polr differ. Though superficially SEI and EII may seem alike when a factual info like this comes out an EII is much more likely to believe it's workings while someone like my SEI friend upon me telling her about this says "ewww!!!! Not shower? No. I won't have my son do that even if they say that it can cure his eczema. " why? Because she is opperating from the standpoint of sensation ...to smell bad may excite disgusting sensations that are or have been unpleasant to her memory. If my child had eczema I would tey this because it is a possibility (idea) of good health. SEI need to trust the source personally. Since she doesn't know them she can't do that. But Ican because I Iignore peraonal experience and go with facts.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Gimme vitamin D.
    Heh, I do try to sit in the sun 10 minutes a day because I had a vitamin D deficiency once. I also had a protein deficiency and my doctor told me it was on the level one would find in a third world country. I changed my diet and I'm fine now. I once weighed 79 lbs and thought I looked good and was scared to gain weight. I have gained about 30 lbs since then and think I look way better than I looked in the pics of me then.

YWIMW

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fuck. Just use some fucking soap and don't be a tinker! Jeez

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Heh, I do try to sit in the sun 10 minutes a day because I had a vitamin D deficiency once. I also had a protein deficiency and my doctor told me it was on the level one would find in a third world country. I changed my diet and I'm fine now. I once weighed 79 lbs and thought I looked good and was scared to gain weight. I have gained about 30 lbs since then and think I look way better than I looked in the pics of me then.
    Well, 79 pounds isn't healthy. Even when one is tad over weight, in terms of survival, it is way better than being skinny. Skinny folk die quicker.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    What the fuck. Just use some fucking soap and don't be a tinker! Jeez
    The forum just ate my post. I wonder if it will show up in the wrong thread or something.

As I was saying... in response to the post above mine. Isn't it a fact that people will smell bad if they don't wash... Not just sensory types would think "eww". I like to be considerate of those around me as well but I shower for my own sense of comfort. hahah

YWIMW

TIM
    EII sx/so
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    @Becca this is a goodexample of how HA Si and Te polr differ. Though superficially SEI and EII may seem alike when a factual info like this comes out an EII is much more likely to believe it's workings while someone like my SEI friend upon me telling her about this says "ewww!!!! Not shower? No. I won't have my son do that even if they say that it can cure his eczema. " why? Because she is opperating from the standpoint of sensation ...to smell bad may excite disgusting sensations that are or have been unpleasant to her memory. If my child had eczema I would tey this because it is a possibility (idea) of good health. SEI need to trust the source personally. Since she doesn't know them she can't do that. But Ican because I Iignore peraonal experience and go with facts.
    Yeah EII's trust Te facts. It can make us easy to manipulate if the person claims that something is true; and this is why I tend to get confused during arguments with people; because they bring up facts that are true. It is hard to argue about one's feelings, no matter how true they are.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

[...] I've previously said that I wouldn't shower if I didn't live in a smogy city like LA and this is the reason why.
    uh, gross.

but then I suppose if you live in the middle of nowhere, there's nobody around to smell your stank in the first place.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to take steps before showering every day so I don't trigger my water allergy
    do you also brace yourself before drinking a glass?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I always say it's so frustrating to see something beautiful and then touch or smell something disgusting.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Besides for surfactents found in cosmetic projects being so bad for your skin and the water supply, I've previously said that I wouldn't shower if I didn't live in a smogy city like LA and this is the reason why. Take care of your health and the health of our environment. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=104662183

why don't you move then.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forumactionsquicklinks View Post
    i once read that article where a chemistry professor or sth was talking about how we inhale chemicals contained into the water during showers and that he advices his friends to take short, cold ones because that way they take in less gas and i typed him delta st but he still has not responded to my e-mail in order to confirm it
    Anyhow we all will die sooner or later, showered or stinking
    So let's wash it all, I am worried about others suffocating in bad vapors!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just eat the soap and sweat bubbles. It seems to do the trick.
    Easy Day

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Well given that washing and hygiene have decreased possibility of germ and viral contamination thereby not only possibly aiding in creating resistant germs and bacteria and also keeping people from dropping like flies I suppose then it has contributed to a healthy society so it may not be entirely bad to keep washing however I'm not convinced that you have to treat your whole body with such persistence.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    -

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Yeah EII's trust Te facts. It can make us easy to manipulate if the person claims that something is true; and this is why I tend to get confused during arguments with people; because they bring up facts that are true. It is hard to argue about one's feelings, no matter how true they are.
    Being Te-PoLR myself, I can say that whenever I hear the last public health scare or diet guidance, I take no notice. My reasoning is, they'll be giving completely different advice next week. My EII sister has the opposite reaction.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    do you also brace yourself before drinking a glass?
    Hard tap water makes my mouth and throat sore within minutes of drinking it. I use purified bottled water since home filters aren't as good but if I have to I will drink from the home filters. If it has been heated to boiling it does not seem to cause the same discomfort so coffee is ok. I stick to organic juices, energy drinks and coffee mostly. My own tears sting and burn but not all the time.High humidity also causes an allergic reaction in me so I keep the AC on but if it gets too cold it can produce similar symptoms. It is both a psychological and physiological condition and therapy has uncovered the issue or so we believe but not the cure. I am hopeful that with further integration I will be done with this "allergy" once and for all. I am just hoping that it isn't primarily physical because that would suck after all the hard work to put it to rest. I have had this condition for as long as I remember but only started telling people about it a few years ago. I was embarrassed to tell people I am allergic to water.

What is aquagenic pruritus?
    Aquagenic pruritus is a condition in which contact with water of any temperature causes intense itching without any visible skin changes.[1] The episodes can begin anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes (or more) after contact with water and typically lasts 10 to 120 minutes (average: 40 minutes).[2] The cause of aquagenic pruritus is unknown; however, familial cases have been described.[1][2] Although the condition occurs more commonly in middle-aged and elderly males, aquagenic pruritus has also been observed in women and children. The symptoms of the condition are similar to those seen in patients with other conditions; therefore, a thorough evaluation should be performed to rule out other more serious conditions. Overall, treatment for aquagenic pruritus has been disappointing.[1]
    Last updated: 11/10/2008
    What symptoms are observed in patients who have aquagenic pruritus?
    Aquagenic pruritus causes intense itching in the parts of the body that come in contact with water. However, the head, palms, soles, and mucosa are not usually affected. No other systemic findings have been noted.[1]
    Last updated: 11/12/2008
    How is aquagenic pruritus diagnosed?
    Criteria for diagnosis include [1]:

• Severe itching, prickling, stinging, or burning that consistently develops after skin contact with water, regardless of water temperature or salinity;
    • Lack of visible skin manifestations;
    • Reaction within minutes of exposure and lasting anywhere between 10 minutes to 2 hours;
    • Lack of a other skin disease, internal condition, or medication to account for the reaction; and
    • Exclusion of all other physical urticarias, symptomatic dermographism, and polycythemia rubra vera.

What causes aquagenic pruritus?
    The exact cause of aquagenic pruritus is unknown, but increased mast cell degranulation (release of granules rich in histamine and other compounds into the body by mast cells, a special type of cell that plays a role in theimmune system), increased circulating histamine, release of acetylcholine (a chemical in the body which sends signals from nerves to muscles and between nerves in the brain), and increased skin fibrinolytic activity (activity that controls clot size by promoting the breakdown of clots) have all been named as possible causes of the condition.[1]
    What underlying conditions and medications might cause the same symptoms as aquagenic pruritus?
    The following list includes the names of some of the conditions and medications that cause symptoms similar to aquagenic pruritus:[3]

Last updated: 6/20/2011
    What treatment has been attempted in patients who have aquagenic pruritus?
    Treatment for aquagenic pruritus has been disappointing. Using water that is less acidic and applying petrolatum have had limited success. Antihistamines are rarely effective, despite the association with increased levels of histamine in the blood and skin. Several of forms of treatment (i.e., anticholinergics, aspirin, iron, serotonin antagonists, propanolol, recombinant interferon-alpha, and triamcinolone) are under investigation and have produced inconclusive results. Topical capsaicin has been reported beneficial. [1] Although UVB phototherapy is effective in some patients, PUVA is the preferred treatment. At least 50 percent of patients experience sustained improvement, although the treatment may have to be repeated every 6 or 12 months. In the cases of aquagenic pruritus associated with polycythemia vera, blood-drawing often relieves the pruritus in these cases.[1][4]

References

• Auerbach PS. Auerbach: Wilderness Medicine, 5th ed.. Philadelphia: Mosby, An Imprint of Elsevier; 2007;
    • Habif TP. Physical Urticarias. Habif: Clinical Dermatology, 4th ed. Ebinburgh: Mosby, Inc.; 2004;
    • Reich A, et al.. Drug-induced Pruritus: A Review. Acta Derm Venereol. 2009; 89:236-244.http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/c...55-0650&html=1. Accessed 6/20/2011.
    • Greaves MW. Chapter 41 - Pathophysiology and Clinical Aspects of Pruritus. In: Freedberg IM, Eisen AZ, Wolff K, Austen KF, . Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. PA: PA; 2003;

Last edited by Aylen; 05-25-2014 at 04:47 PM.

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Martrix View Post
    Being Te-PoLR myself, I can say that whenever I hear the last public health scare or diet guidance, I take no notice. My reasoning is, they'll be giving completely different advice next week. My EII sister has the opposite reaction.
    I am like your sister. I take things like that seriously because anything that can jeopardize issues with regards to health scare me
    -

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

hahah yeah the same thing with my EII sister and me. She sent me info on the honey bee situation most recently and now I see activists walking around the local walmart passing out info on the bees. They scared the hell out of me yesterday when I was at a stoplight, in my own world, and they knocked on my window making me jump. The lady was like, "I don't want money. I want to give you information." I told her I was still half asleep and she said. "Read it when you wake up." I took the pamphlets but haven't read yet. I would hate to see the bees go extinct though.

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about bacteria inside the shower head, chlorine?

Former may lead to lung infections and latter kills living organisms...

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I use a filter in my showerhead and organic olive oil on my skin, if I have time. before I shower. My sister had me try Bragg organic raw apple cider vinegar for months to help my immune system but I didn't notice a difference.

Perhaps my body is undergoing some kind of evolutionary process. We will be like self cleaning ovens in 500 years... do the reptilians bathe...

Hmm, I wonder if you live in a plastic bubble and it is germ free how often you would need to bathe.

YWIMW

TIM
    EII sx/so
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol now that I think about it, I have a friend who is very into organic things and she used to buy all these weird health products. She must be EII. I always got nervous from it, but maybe it's because I don't care as much about these things as she did

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am like your sister. I take things like that seriously because anything that can jeopardize issues with regards to health scare me
    I guess that's the difference between Si-HA an Ti-HA.
    Ti-HA wants a clear system of what's good and bad for health -- one that's not likely to change. Si-HA wants to know any new information as to potential health hazards, regardless.
    I'm wondering if this is still the case when one has Ti-Base and Si-HA.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use a filter in my showerhead and organic olive oil on my skin, if I have time. before I shower. My sister had me try Bragg organic raw apple cider vinegar for months to help my immune system but I didn't notice a difference.

Perhaps my body is undergoing some kind of evolutionary process. We will be like self cleaning ovens in 500 years... do the reptilians bathe...
    Well, chlorine isn't that far from chloroform and both kill protein, that is, cells in your body, so long term exposure may be very well problematic.

Hmm, same goes for alcohol...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can soak the shower head in bleach or vinegar. Both are very good disinfectants.

Well, chlorine isn't that far from chloroform and both kill protein, that is, cells in your body, so long term exposure may be very well problematic.

Hmm, same goes for alcohol...
    Are you referring to trihalomethanes (THMs)? Long-term exposure to chlorine has been shown to increase risk of rectal, colon and bladder cancer.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Lol now that I think about it, I have a friend who is very into organic things and she used to buy all these weird health products. She must be EII. I always got nervous from it, but maybe it's because I don't care as much about these things as she did
    If I don't use organic my sister goes nuts. Sometimes I tell her I am using organic just so she leaves me alone.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I don't use organic my sister goes nuts. Sometimes I tell her I am using organic just so she leaves me alone.
    Haha. Same with my sister. "I must be natural! Free of harsh chemicals..." etc. They're overpriced products, anyway.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can soak the shower head in bleach or vinegar. Both are very good disinfectants.
    There's a river nearby.

Are you referring to trihalomethanes (THMs)? Long-term exposure to chlorine has been shown to increase risk of cancer.
    Yes, although we used R12 (until it was deemed harmful) when it comes to refrigerants (I am/was an electro-mechanic). Nevertheless, technically this is what you're referring to.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Haha. Same with my sister. "I must be natural! Free of harsh chemicals..." etc. They're overpriced products, anyway.
    "Thank you for caring but It's my body and I don't care if I am consuming chemicals."

That didn't go over well with my sister. Then she went on to explain how it would effect our family if I die young of cancer. Better to just say "yes, it is all natural, chemical free and certified organic."

I don't understand the "worry" thing. I rarely worry about anything, I just deal with things when I need to and it seems to be a natural thing for her to worry, same with my mom (always worried about different issues). I don't know if it is type related but I would hate to live like that.

This is funny more than sadistic but I do wonder what my sister was thinking when she did this:

My sister went total vegan for awhile and she was trying to make the whole family go vegan too.

So she asks a two year old, "how would you like it if a cow ate you?'

He replies, "I like eating cows!"

It was hysterical the way he looked at her like she was crazy and the tone of his voice. She even laughed.
    Last edited by Aylen; 05-25-2014 at 05:36 PM.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a river nearby.
    You don't get much flooding, do you?

Yes, although we used R12 (until it was deemed harmful) when it comes to refrigerants (I am/was an electro-mechanic). Nevertheless, technically this is what you're referring to.
    Is R12 a mixture of chlorine, flourine and carbon? Not a particularly pleasant combination.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thank you for caring but It's my body and I don't care if I am consuming chemicals."

That didn't go over well with my sister. Then she went on to explain how it would effect our family if I die young of cancer. Better to just say "yes, it is all natural, chemical free and certified organic."

I don't understand the "worry" thing. I rarely worry about anything, I just deal with things when I need to and it seems to be a natural thing for her to worry, same with my mom (always worried about different issues). I don't know if it is type related but I would hate to live like that.
    But everything's made of chemicals! (except for base elements and energy...and other things)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You don't get much flooding, do you?
    It is past now and it wasn't really gargantuan. Not compared to that from 1997.

Is R12 a mixture of chlorine, flourine and carbon? Not a particularly pleasant combination.
    More or less.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is past now and it wasn't really gargantuan. Not compared to that from 1997.
    Oh. The Red River Flood?

More or less.
    I'm satisfied with that. I mean, I'm no physical chemist.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

But everything's made of chemicals! (except for base elements and energy...and other things)
    I am just waiting for the moment she tries Jainism... History shows it is a strong probability.

Practicing Jains eat consciously. This is a small percentage of people now. All living beings have a soul, this is the basis of a Jain diet.
    Keeping this in mind, Jains are fruitatarians - eating whatever stuff that comes off of a tree and requires minimal violence. For example, Jains avoid root vegetables of all types because when you uproot an onion that entire being’s life is gone - you’ve essentially killed it without the possibility of rebirth.

YWIMW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast