Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILI-Ni; IEI-Ni or ESI as alternatives

You know I was curious - I was interested in all kinds of mystery or deeper meanings in the paintings because I myself have not analyzed why they have turned out like this or like that.

Some people would say my paintings show a future world and maybe they do, but I paint from reality. I put several things and ideas together, and perhaps, when I have finished, it could show the future. If people want to interpret my work as warnings about too much overpopulation, disease and mechanization in the future, then that is up to them. I like to combine human beings, creatures and biomechanics. And I love to work with bones - they are elemental and function and, after all, are part of human beings. I have many bones in my home in Zurich, and I study them and use them as models. Some people say my work is often depressing and pessimistic, with the emphasis on death, blood, overcrowding, strange beings and so on, but I don't really think it is. There is hope and a kind of beauty in there somewhere, if you look for it.

H. R. Giger

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

His stuff 'looks' Beta. Which is meaningless.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...58.Gh0dij_noW4

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    His stuff 'looks' Beta. Which is meaningless.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...58.Gh0dij_noW4
    come on, suede, giger is not exactly meaningless. I could write you at least 2 pages about the symbolism in these images.

Attachment 3636

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...2F%3B340%3B536

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pretty wonderful character and some great art. I'd be wrong if I tried to type him with my level of knowledge of him.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    come on, suede, giger is not exactly meaningless. I could write you at least 2 pages about the symbolism in these images.

Attachment 3636
    I meant that my perception of it as 'looking' like Beta art is meaningless. Lol.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI-Ni; IEI-Ni or ESI as alternatives
    esi is at odds with his interviews. several of his paintings were stolen. his response was helplessness before the fact. the entrance to his castle is open to anyone and do whatever they wish in it, he doesn't keep tabs. this resounds of weak sensing and the diametric opposite of esi reaction.

What happened to your paintings?
    Some of them were sold and I don’t know to where, and some of them got stolen. It’s horrible.

Were they stolen from your house?
    Some, yes. And during the transport to shows. That’s shit. The two paintings for Emerson Lake and Palmer, for their Brain Salad Surgery album, were stolen.

What can you do in that situation?
    Nothing. I tried. I said I’ll pay 10,000 francs if someone knows anything about them. I don’t know where they are. It upsets me so much. I like those things and I did them in 1973 and Emerson Lake and Palmer even came to Switzerland to see them.

If you were rich, what would you like to do with the castle?
    I’d like to buy back some paintings. There was an idea for a train set running through the castle, but it’s too crazy. It’s fantastical. It costs too much to make such a train and you could never pay if off. It would be very funny to have, but I still have to pay for the castle. I have two million I have to pay back to the bank for the castle, and that’s heavy.

The castle gets a lot of visits from young rockers and goths. They seem to look on it as a bit of temple of darkness. Do you get any bizarre requests from them?
    Oh yes. I get a lot of strange people who come to see my work in Gruyeres. It’s very nice. You know people from the village they know my fans when they see them. They’re all in black. They want to marry there, do photo shoots, all kinds of stuff.

Do you think they ever have sex in the castle?
    Ha, it’s possible. I don’t know. We don’t have everything so tightly controlled.

Apart from art, is there anything else you collect?
    I have weapons. I never want to be without weapons. As protection. I like weapons. From a child I always had weapons.

What’s your favorite weapon?
    I have a small 5mm, 22 caliber, it’s a small revolver. That was what Li (Giger’s first wife) shot herself with. It’s very small. I have three revolvers with gunpowder in the barrel. You can fill them up. That’s fun.
    Last edited by Nevero; 05-21-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

giger on the writers that influenced him.

You’ve said before that much of the inspiration for your art comes from dreams, and more specifically nightmares?
    Everyone always wants to know about my dreams. The inspiration is mostly from literature actually. I have read so many things that have inspired me. Beckett was very much an inspiration for me. His theater, especially. I made paintings as a homage to Samuel Beckett [Homage to S. Beckett I,II,III]. They were some of the very few colored paintings I’ve done.

What other writers were an inspiration for you?
    Crime writers especially. I started with Edgar Wallace and then all sorts of Western writers.

Your work comes from a much darker place than Beckett or Wallace?
    Darker, yes. It came partly from Chur where I grew up; partly from the war. I was born in 1940 so I could feel the atmosphere when my parents were afraid. The lamps were always a bluish dark, so the planes would not bomb us. Switzerland and Germany are close. The targets weren’t always very well marked. I felt the fear of that very much. Later on at a certain time I saw a lot of witchcraft books and stuff like that. H. P. Lovecraft and these kind of people. I’d say my inspiration comes from books mostly, but dreams also.

Is there any way that you can control the dreams and manipulate your surroundings from within the dream?
    Yeah, sometimes it happens and I can remember when I’m in a dream. Or I get the feeling like I’m out of my body. A long time ago, about 10 or even 20 years ago, I had that. But it didn’t happen to me often. Probably four or five times. But yeah, that was strong.

Was it frightening?
    No. It wasn’t frightening. It was just, well, I was so surprised. A dream where I can’t get enough air, that’s frightening. Or the kind of dream where I was stuck in a grave or something like that, that was frightening. But later I developed these passages paintings [Passage I-XXX] and they were very good for that. I got some sort of relief. I got no more bad dreams when I painted these passages. It was helpful.

Does that happen often?
    No, not often, but I did the right thing because at the time these passage dreams were ruining my work. It was the right thing to make me feel better.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Attachment 3636

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...2F%3B340%3B536
    This is one of my favorite tarot decks and the symbolism is usually very relevant to the issue. I use this deck for "darker" human issues. Love it!

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    esi is at odds with his interviews. several of his paintings were stolen. his response was helplessness before the fact. the entrance to his castle is open to anyone and do whatever they wish in it, he doesn't keep tabs. this resounds of weak sensing and the diametric opposite of esi reaction.

What happened to your paintings?
    Some of them were sold and I don’t know to where, and some of them got stolen. It’s horrible.

Were they stolen from your house?
    Some, yes. And during the transport to shows. That’s shit. The two paintings for Emerson Lake and Palmer, for their Brain Salad Surgery album, were stolen.

What can you do in that situation?
    Nothing. I tried. I said I’ll pay 10,000 francs if someone knows anything about them. I don’t know where they are. It upsets me so much. I like those things and I did them in 1973 and Emerson Lake and Palmer even came to Switzerland to see them.

If you were rich, what would you like to do with the castle?
    I’d like to buy back some paintings. There was an idea for a train set running through the castle, but it’s too crazy. It’s fantastical. It costs too much to make such a train and you could never pay if off. It would be very funny to have, but I still have to pay for the castle. I have two million I have to pay back to the bank for the castle, and that’s heavy.

The castle gets a lot of visits from young rockers and goths. They seem to look on it as a bit of temple of darkness. Do you get any bizarre requests from them?
    Oh yes. I get a lot of strange people who come to see my work in Gruyeres. It’s very nice. You know people from the village they know my fans when they see them. They’re all in black. They want to marry there, do photo shoots, all kinds of stuff.

Do you think they ever have sex in the castle?
    Ha, it’s possible. I don’t know. We don’t have everything so tightly controlled.

Apart from art, is there anything else you collect?
    I have weapons. I never want to be without weapons. As protection. I like weapons. From a child I always had weapons.

What’s your favorite weapon?
    I have a small 5mm, 22 caliber, it’s a small revolver. That was what Li (Giger’s first wife) shot herself with. It’s very small. I have three revolvers with gunpowder in the barrel. You can fill them up. That’s fun.
    IEI.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some sort of very Ni ILI is also possible. I can´t see too much Te PoLR in him.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the people saying IEI, will someone please tell me what about Giger or his art says "Merry Quadra" to you? And IEIs are in top four merriest types in the socion, due to their Fe.

Also, dude studied Industrial Design. That totally sounds like someone with Te-PolR.

Jesus.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoobie77 View Post
    For all the people saying IEI, will someone please tell me what about Giger or his art says "Merry Quadra" to you? And IEIs are in top four merriest types in the socion, due to their Fe.

Also, dude studied Industrial Design. That totally sounds like someone with Te-PolR.

Jesus.
    And if you see some traces of Fe in his quotes (I don't expect it to be very visible in his works) .... show them to me. When he wants to overcome the darkness and combo of distortedly biological&mechanical, he starts speaking about the beauty that can be found even in what appears to be ugliness, death, and decay. That strikes me rather as Fi tertiary than Fe creative.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When he wants to overcome the darkness and combo of distortedly biological&mechanical, he starts speaking about the beauty that can be found even in what appears to be ugliness, death, and decay. That strikes me rather as Fi tertiary than Fe creative.
    why? my first thought is contra-flow instinct stackings.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This is one of my favorite tarot decks and the symbolism is usually very relevant to the issue. I use this deck for "darker" human issues. Love it!
    His art makes me feel estrangement and respect at the same time. I wouldn't buy his paintings or surround myself with works of his for the sake of close affinity, but I can see how good he is.

Tarot ..oh well, I must admit that the Thoth is the only deck I cannot take my eyes off. It's like fauvist art (raw, intense, reduced to minimal and essential meaning, chromatically luxuriant and expressive), Crowley's vision strikes me to the core. I don't know what type Alister was, I tend to see him as a Ne rather than Ni..but I haven't actually read much of his esoteric works.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    why? my first thought is contra-flow instinct stackings.
    That as well. I take him for sp/sx. But I meant a purely personal preference and vision of beauty distilled as an artistic ideal. I don't see any emotional expression or interest in such a thing in what he says and does....

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LII so/sp

What I've noticed from his interviews was Se polr and some kind of inertness to his sensing. I'd agree with FDG that he doesn't have a Te polr and otherwise doesn't make an impression of an ethical type.

Another thing that caught my eye was his SX-lastness. Despite all the sexual imagery embedded in his work, it is of little meaning and value to Giger and apparently doesn't draw any of his attention:

"But what about the erotic element in his work? Many images feature subtle (and often decidedly unsubtle) depictions of various human body parts, entwined in peculiar ways. He appears to ignore the question entirely: “The strongest thing in my work, I think, is the claustrophobic stuff. I still sometimes have shitty dreams with that in... being inside rooms that are like graves, a stone grave, a tomb. And I always think in the dream, ‘Oh my god, why am I here?’” He laughs. "Claustrophobic things are terrible. I used to think all that was finished but it’s still here. That’s more important to me than the erotic stuff." He adds that it was “never in my mind” to try to shock people with that sort of imagery.
    Last edited by silke; 08-13-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought SLI.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EIE-Ni, ESI or ILI. Something in that axis. Also ew.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Pretty sure when Jung speaks of the introverted intuitive crank and productive artist he has someone like Giger in mind. I can see why some might type him LII or even IEI but he is probably ILI. This is a manifestation of archaic Sensing not feeling. A lot of his artwork came from his nightmares.

The extraverted intuitive is concerned with what is commonly known as the world of reality; the introverted intuitive is concerned with the collective unconscious, the dark background of' experience -- all that is subjective, strange, and unusual to the extravert.

The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority ... produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other. The latter might be regarded as the normal case, since there is a general tendency of this type to confine himself to the perceptive character of intuition. As a rule, the intuitive stops at perception; perception is his principal problem, and -- in the case of a productive artist -- the shaping of perception. But the crank contents himself with the intuition by which he himself is shaped and determined.15

This is the type that sees visions, has revelations of a religious or cosmic nature, prophetic dreams, or weird fantasies, all of which are as real to him as God and the Devil were to medieval man. Such people seem very peculiar today, almost mad, as in fact they are, unless they can find a way to relate their experiences with life. This means finding an adequate form of expression, something collectively sanctioned, not just a living out of fantasies. They can sometimes do this by finding, or even forming a group where their vision is of some value. In primitive communities these people have value and command respect -- they are of the stuff from which the prophets of Israel were fashioned -- but except as mystics in religious communities there is little place for them in the world of to-day. Usually they keep quiet about their experiences, or form esoteric sects or little groups concerned with 'other world experience'. Ordinarily they seem rather odd, and quite harmless, but if gripped by their inner vision they may become possessed by a force which is powerful for good or evil, and is highly contagious: both religious conversion and mob violence start in this way.

As a rule, the intuitive contents himself with perception, and if he happens to be a creative artist, with the shaping of perception; he will paint 'in iridescent confusion, embracing both the significant and banal, the lovely and the grotesque'. William Blake is a good example of an introverted intuitive who was both artist and poet.

Since human nature is by no means simple, one rarely finds the absolutely pure type; often the main function is sufficiently clear to club the person a thinker, an intuitive and so on, but it is seconded by another function which modifies and blurs the picture. Jung in fact refers to his description of types as 'somewhat Galtonesque family portraits', for human nature refuses to be classified in a precise and simple way. All the same, the concept of types has great practical value as an aid to understanding in personal relationships and in education. It is of help to husbands and wives to realize that their partner 'works' in a different way and is not simply being obtuse, to teachers to realize that an introverted child, for instance, is not unhappy or unadapted if it does not join in activities with the same zest as extraverted pupils, and to the psychotherapist in treating his patient. It is very common among neurotic people to have developed one function to such perfection that the others are perforce neglected; intuitives, for instance, usually neglect sensation, and consequently their own bodies, so that they may become physically ill; thinking types neglect feeling and so get into serious trouble where personal relationships are important. Mental (and sometimes therefore physical) health depends on the development of the neglected function, so that the personality may become more nearly whole.

Most people use one function (or its modification), more and a very highly complicated people use two functions, differentiated personality would make use of three functions. The inclusion of the fourth function belongs to what Jung has called the individuation process, and the reconciliation of the opposing trends of one's nature; but to understand what is meant by this we must first consider Jung's concepts of the personal and collective unconscious in more detail.

more
    Last edited by Aylen; 10-27-2019 at 11:14 AM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hans Ruedi Giger - ISTJ - Gorky

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI-Ni I think

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    IEI-Ni I think
    No

Last edited by khcs; 10-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    No

Well, he certainly isn't LSI, so you're wrong too. He could be LII-Ne if he isn't IEI-Ni, but I don't see any other possibility.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    Well, he certainly isn't LSI, so you're wrong too. He could be LII-Ne if he isn't IEI-Ni, but I don't see any other possibility.
    Yes, frequently wrong with typing, but not this time.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    Yes, frequently wrong with typing, but not this time.
    Why don't you use subtypes?

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI 5w4

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)