Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New! Atheist Hymn

Steve Martin notes, "Atheists don't have no songs". The audience loves this, and me too. I think that's because he is pointing out something we have all seen but never put words to it. He puts it to song, here:

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They love it because it is funny I would assume. I doubt he is trying to convey a deeper message about those poor lacking atheists.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The song says atheists have rock 'n' roll

Religion brought us centuries of Gregorian chant

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    They love it because it is funny I would assume. I doubt he is trying to convey a deeper message about those poor lacking atheists.
    I have no idea if he was trying to"convey" anything, but he is a talented comedian and good comedians point out realities in a way that make us laugh. I think things are funny when they hit a reality in us.

It seems like comedians go about their whole lives pointing out odd realities, and they learn over time what things really tickle people's sense of reality/funny bone. I wonder if comedians have a lot of Se? Or what?

I remember a very, very serious time of my life. My ex and I were still married and living together while in a hostile, bitter divorce/custody battle which we were hiding from our son. On this evening we were all three together in the living room watching Harry Potter on TV, and the Hogwarts students were in Horticulture class, re-potting Mandrake plants, which were letting out blood-curling screams as they were being pulled up by their roots. For some reason this struck my funny bone really hard, and I could not stop laughing (and I was the only one laughing).

Later I realized that this sudden side-splitting laugh -the first laugh in some months- had an understandable origin. I was currently facing being uprooted in every way at the time, and I wanted to screech and howl like those plants, but I needed to suppress that desire for my son's sake. So it was a great relief to see the Mandrakes acting out how I felt.

Since then I have noticed the things I laugh at and the things other people laugh at have a lot to do with something deeply true to them. My ex, for instance, really believed he had "bad luck" or that he was a perpetual victim of Murphy's Law. This was even though, in reality, his adult life was not at all like this -- I remember a friend of his telling me admiringly that my husband was like a "Golden Boy", since everything worked well for him. I was so struck at the time by how opposite these views were, and I realized atthat moment that in reality, his friend was more right than my husband on this evaluation. But beliefs are powerful. So, this was his deeply held belief about himself since childhood, and it was a constant theme of the humor he made and the humor he laughed at.

So, I really laughed at Steve Martin's song here. I am respectful of sincere atheists, because I respect sincerely held beliefs and feel a kinship in that as I have sincerely held beliefs. But other times I feel sorry for them, because despite pride and confidence in their viewpoint, it does seem to me a very sorry state. Existentialism especially seems a very very sad state. That is my sincere down deep reaction, that's not polite to share. Anyway, atheists don't care; they feel their view is superior, and mine ignorant. But deep down, to me, it seems a very sad and essentially joyless state - especially in contrast to the soaring joy expressed in hymns and rich Christian art like the work of Michelangelo which no generation will ever tire of, and which speaks to me so clearly of the joy I feel in my faith. Its like the joy is so great and so deep, no words can express so we need songs and art. And it never occurred to me, til this song, that no atheist music or art ever inspired my heart to soar. So that reality made me enjoy this, most especially because his point is not cruelly or arrogantly expressed - it would not offend an atheist. And the others enjoyed it. Comedians that touch on truth without being offensive get the good laughs.

Its the kind of humor about atheists that IMO atheists could laugh along with. An atheist is not going to laugh along with humor that puts them down, judges them, etc. Also I can enjoy humor about Catholics or Christians that points out realities, like how strange we might seem to others; humor that can do this without being cruel and ugly. But what is far more common is the untrue stuff with the arrogant, judgmental narrow-minded viewpoint. That is the kind of humor used based on untruths that people share for the point of making themselves appear superior to those of faith. That is a bore, and only good for a self-righteous laugh for the teller and like-minded cronies in order to underline their arrogant sense of self...

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    The song says atheists have rock 'n' roll
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Religion brought us centuries of Gregorian chant
    Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHM5-UzqGU

These beautiful men (assuming they are monks, they are singing the monk's chants) like thousands everywhere and also thousands of women religious throughout the world and throughout time, sing these chants day and night. They meet together to sing several times throughout the day, every day, and they get up 3x in the night, every single night, without fail, to sing these psalms and prayers together, usually in Latin, the beautiful prayer language, but sometimes also in native language, and they do this while also working to earn their own keep and to make money to give money to the poor, having taken vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, in order to dedicate their entire lives to prayers for those who have no one to pray for them.

What a place the world would be without their constant prayer! Heaven knows!

I have taken retreat at a local abbey and the Monks Gregorian chants (in English) speak to my soul and have been so healing in times of great distress. Anyone can go to their local abbey and hear these prayers chanted throughout the day and night. You will be blessed!

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I agree with the sentiment that actions speak louder than words

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for reminidng me of Gregorian chant. These are lovely.

What faces!

Nuns Of Avignon

Monks

Cistercians

Wow, looking through those I found this on the nun at the peaceful beautiful Abbey we go to for Mass, and will continue to go to when we move to my husbands house, since its near "our" home. Also I just listened to this fascinating interveiw -I now realize which nun she is. Its so cool, we have exchanged smiles when she processes in for Mass, with the other nuns. She always wears this hat with the pin on it over her habit (I figured because she was cold? I don't know), and she caught my eye because here peaceful happy personality, her smile and her walk, delighted me. I did not know this was Delores til I saw this interview of her, just now, in this hat. I feel I know her better now from this interview, than from the others...
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 05-16-2014 at 03:37 AM.