TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differences between Ni and Ne approach to interests/hobbies

There are two people:

Person 1 is interested in psychology, metaphysics and politics. She tends to jump from one interest to the next almost simultaneously. She is interested in all of them at the same time and can go back and forth exploring them together or taking turns between them.

Person 2 is interested in psychology, metaphysics and politics. He obsessively focuses on one interest at a time, completely neglecting the others until he feels he has exhausted it for the time-being and moves on to another interest, like a cycle. This lasts at least several days. His obsession is so consuming that he can't even imagine what he ever found interesting about the other subjects while his current obsession lasts. The cycle continues.

What does that tell you about the two people's preference for Ne vs Ni?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One's propensity to multitask vs focus on theoretical content is just that: one's propensity to multitask vs focus. At most there is a correlation to extroversion and introversion in general, but to Ne and Ni which deal specifically with the nature of intuition and not anything else, one has to leave such simplistic stereotypes at the door and search more deeply the content of this branch of psychology. A propensity to intensely concentrate and focus on one subject matter seems like a silly way to distinguish Ni from Ne, when Ne users do this all the time. One should especially familiarize themselves with LIIs. I can quote the following Ne description which sounds a lot like person #2."
    -a reliable source

"As long as a possibility exists, the intuitive is bound to it with thongs of fate. It is as though his whole life went out into the new situation. One gets the impression, which he himself shares, that he has just reached the definitive turning point in his life, and that from now on nothing else can seriously engage his thought and feeling. How- [p. 465] ever reasonable and opportune it may be, and although every conceivable argument speaks in favour of stability, a day will come when nothing will deter him from regarding as a prison, the self-same situation that seemed to promise him freedom and deliverance, and from acting accordingly"
    -Jung on Ne
    Last edited by Director Abbie; 05-08-2014 at 08:34 AM.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    "One's propensity to multitask vs focus when it comes to theoretical investment is just that: one's propensity to multitask vs focus. At most there is a correlation to extroverts and introverts in general, but to Ne and Ni types, one has to leave such simplistic stereotypes at the door and search more deeply the content of this branch of psychology.
    then after 'What does that tell you about the two people's preference for Ne vs Ni?' I say 'Not a thing.'"
    -a reliable source
    Ok, so enlighten me as to what, according to you, is deep enough to consider regarding Ni vs Ne. I'm not one for generalizations or simplifications but to some extent it must be done so we can have a conversation on the subject.

I'm not referring to multitasking vs focusing here. To me that would be doing your homework while you cook and talk on the phone vs just focusing on doing your homework, which has more to do with ability to concentrate and attention span. What I'm getting at here is intensity. I'd think that Ne with its need for new experiences would have a hard time sustaining that level of intensity on one subject vs Ni which has a more concentrated focus.

I can see how it could also relate to temperament, although Rational vs Irrational if anything.

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It depends. If I've managed to get really hooked on something, then I'm like the second one--'new things' or hobbies barely ever come into my radar, and when they do (naturally), it's a small dose. If nothing 'clicks' for me, then I'll usually test around a bit, although it isn't quite as proactive as the first description. For the most part, I'm doing nothing. I don't think I had any real interests around the time I was 16-18 for example.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-08-2014 at 01:22 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    It depends. If I've managed to get really hooked on something, then I'm like the second one--'new things' or hobbies barely ever come into my radar, and when they do (naturally), it's a small dose. If nothing 'clicks' for me, then I'll usually test around a bit, although it isn't quite as proactive as the first description. For the most part, I'm doing nothing. I don't think I had any real interests around the time I was 16-18 for example.
    Are you still considering IEE for yourself?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    I'm talking about consistently. Of course we all go through both periods briefly, but I chose extreme examples to illustrate the point. I'm P2, but of course even as obsessive as I become, I can have brief periods of not being obsessed with anything. It's not the norm, though. Maybe this is ntr, but I do surprise myself at how single-focused I am with my interests, to the point of complete apathy for the other stuff that logically I know I am interested in and have been and will be just as obsessed with in the future. At the time, though, I couldn't care less about it any of it.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Wow, explaining this with words is much harder than it was to see the difference, in intuition, in the examples.

Ni relies on inner intuition which is really a form of reading energy patterns so the connections are automatic, fluent and not dependent on external factors. Like holding several simultaneous thoughts in your head all at once but they are not "thoughts. It's like a steady stream of "knowing" what to do next even though you are not thinking about it, so I am like subconsciously moving backwards, forwards and sideways through,time not separating ideas in my mind. They are all just kinda there... Even though, I may be, objectively focused on one thing it does not prevent the impulse to do something else right in the middle of what I am doing and almost effortlessly move back and forth without losing my place in any direction I am exploring. Yeah this is not so easy to explain. The best I can do is call it a timeless state where you energetically are connecting to everything you are interested in, all at once, but because of the limitations of the human body you have to somehow manage the time spent on each subject but there is no interruption of service, sts.

Ne seems like it needs to maintain an interest or immerse oneself in one thing at a time to make their connections in order to get the full benefit of their externally influenced intuition. Then they can see the big picture and imagine how things may evolve. This allows them to explore all the possibilities of one thing at a time which may be viewed as obsessive by those unfamiliar with their process. It's like the external input energizes and moves them along. I am not sure if this is right but that was my impression from observing my sister.
    Last edited by Aylen; 05-08-2014 at 10:01 PM.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    There are two people:

Person 1 is interested in psychology, metaphysics and politics. She tends to jump from one interest to the next almost simultaneously. She is interested in all of them at the same time and can go back and forth exploring them together or taking turns between them.

Person 2 is interested in psychology, metaphysics and politics. He obsessively focuses on one interest at a time, completely neglecting the others until he feels he has exhausted it for the time-being and moves on to another interest, like a cycle. This lasts at least several days. His obsession is so consuming that he can't even imagine what he ever found interesting about the other subjects while his current obsession lasts. The cycle continues.

I will do both of those behaviors. I tend to hyper focus - if I am having either success or failure in my research, sometimes I focus exclusively on one subject to the exclusion of others. If things are going smoothly in my learning, I will dabble among my areas of interest on a daily basis.

I have noticed a tendency to bookmark webpages, thinking that I will come back to them. But I rarely do, so I accumulate all of these bookmarks. Periodically going through them and discarding them is a huge chore that I hate and avoid. It is like having to revisit all of my unpursued ideas. Ouch.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think both can cross over into Ni and Ne, possibly because if you're good with one you're also good with the other. Having one of the Nx's fall in the ignoring slot might increase the polarity of this though.

I like to think of the Xi's as connecting the dots, and the Xe's as the dots.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that, based on this, I can be both persons. If anything I deal with multiple fields at a time by combining my insights from one field and applying them to a different one. I also tend to exhaust fields I'm extremely interested in until I can move on to the next thing. Person 1 sounds like me on a casual level when I'm talking to my friends and person 2 sounds like me when I'm legitimately immersed in a field, not that that has happened in years. I don't know if that helps you at all.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    not much but i'm still doing the lurking and reading up on the information elements. this forum has too many different takes on irrational functions. for many of the examples given i can remember myself or others doing something similar. then the question arises whether it's type related at all.

the second person could be rational type of rational subtype given their narrow specialization. i relate to the second example more than the first one.