Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I relate to Ne as a base function.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default How I relate to Ne as a base function.

Even though I've decided on being IEE, I've never actually thought about why I think Ne is my base function, so I'll list a few things out for you and you can give me your thoughts. None of it really seems special to me, and in fact, I view a lot of it is inconvenient, or a hindrance.

-I'm not good at being attractive. I know what looks good on me and I'm highly opinionated about it, and I'm aware of the nuances of body language, good posture, etc. but I sometimes end up failing terribly at it. Whether it be because of anxiety, a lack of funds, etc. I alternate between looking semi-respectable, and looking weak/pathetic depending on my confidence level. It isn't an automatic thing for me.

-When watching movies I'll often notice stupid shit instead of taking it all it face value . Lots of inside jokes and stupid "I see what he's doing there" moments. When I watch Mad Men and notice a major event is happening, I'll usually think things like "I wonder if this will be a central theme/conflict throughout the season".

-I've had a typology obsession for two years and can barely think of much else.

-I get really anxious/self-conscious whenever I'm in a public setting, instead of being completely present in the moment.

-I know lots of useless things.

-I can be flaky and forget about deadlines/appointments that I've considered important.

-My body movements are rehearsed and can sometimes look stiff.

-I have issues with motivation and persistence.

-I get easily distraught/irritable when I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, uncomfortable, etc and can't just push through it.

-Sometimes I'll be enjoying a movie, and start thinking about other movies on Hulu/Netflix that I'd enjoy watching and add a bunch of them on me queue, instead of focusing on finishing the movie.

-I overthink things and get distracted.

-I sometimes binge read Wikipedia articles and old forum posts.

-I've gone to the library looking for a specific book, only to get there and realize that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway.

-I'll sometimes make generalizations or archetypal statements that I don't take seriously.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-06-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    -I'm not good at being attractive. I know what looks good on me and I'm highly opinionated about it, and I'm aware of the nuances of body language, good posture, etc. but I often end up failing terribly at it. Whether it be because of anxiety, a lack of funds, etc. I alternate between looking semi-respectable, and looking weak/pathetic depending on my confidence level. It isn't an automatic thing for me.
    sometimes i think i look good and i'm not HIGHLY opinionated about what looks good on me but, otherwise, same.

lol, not anymore, thank god, but i relate.

-I get really anxious/self-conscious whenever I'm in a public setting, instead of being completely present in the moment.
    it depends but there are definitely moments where this this true for me and i don't think struggling with anxiety is type related?

come on now.

-I can be flaky and forget about deadlines/appointments that I've considered important.
    how do you handle it? how much does it bother you? how much does it actually happen compared to other people?

literally rehearsed? stiff can be Ij temperament.

-I get easily distraught/irritable when I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, uncomfortable, etc.
    i think this is normal biological functioning.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ugh, I guess I can see how some of these things aren't type/intuition-related, but still. The main confusion I'm having is that Se sounds superhuman compared to how I've experienced my life.

edit: I'll try and give you a proper response to you later, since I'm about to take a class right now. @lungs

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

a lot of descriptions of Se are stupid. what about when you look at examples of ESIs, celebrities and whathaveyou?

if you're an introvert you're still gonna spend a lot of time in your head, reflecting and stuff.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@lungs

how do you handle it? how much does it bother you? how much does it actually happen compared to other people?
    It depends on how significant it is... Something minor? I'll usually feel embarrassed for either wasting the person's time, or seeming flighty/irresponsible in general. It's not the type of impression that I want people to have of me. If it's something major/drastic, I'll try and deal with it as soon as I can, but at the same time, I'll feel shitty for being that absentminded and start thinking of a bunch of worst case scenarios.

I wouldn't know.

literally rehearsed? stiff can be Ij temperament.
    I'm highly aware of how I come off in terms of body language and try to avoid seeming clumsy, hurried, anxious, etc. which can ironically have the opposite effect sometimes.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@lungs

It depends on how significant it is... Something minor? I'll usually feel embarrassed for either wasting the person's time, or seeming flighty/irresponsible in general. It's not the type of impression that I want people to have of me. If it's something major/drastic, I'll try and deal with it as soon as I can, but at the same time, I'll feel shitty for being that absentminded and start thinking of a bunch of worst case scenarios.

I wouldn't know.

I'm highly aware of how I come off in terms of body language and try to avoid seeming clumsy, hurried, anxious, etc. which can ironically have the opposite effect sometimes.
    As Ne dom I'd say that being late and flaking doesn't make me feel guilty... It's the norm. Could be ntr, could be related to t/f differences, just throwing this out there.

also, isn't being late weak or devalued Ni rather than strong Ne?

i could be on time, it wouldn't be hard, it's just that I don't like to wait and always have interesting things to do to fill my time with, rather do that than make sure I'm on time.... Thát IMHO is due to Ne

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    As Ne dom I'd say that being late and flaking doesn't make me feel guilty... It's the norm. Could be ntr, could be related to t/f differences, just throwing this out there.

also, isn't being late weak or devalued Ni rather than strong Ne?

i could be on time, it wouldn't be hard, it's just that I don't like to wait and always have interesting things to do to fill my time with, rather do that than make sure I'm on time.... Thát IMHO is due to Ne
    Well, I never have 'more interesting things to do' , lol. Sometimes I'll arrive late to a class while I'm looking something up on my computer, but it's not something I'm proud of or would consider time well-spent.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some perpetually late IEIs. I don't think strong Ni makes people arrive places on time. Though my EIE and LIE parents are ALWAYS EARLY EVERYWHERE and flip out if you're even a couple of minutes late. To me a couple of minutes late is still on time, unless you're catching a plane or something.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I never have 'more interesting things to do' , lol. Sometimes I'll arrive late to a class while I'm looking something up on my computer, but it's not something I'm proud of or would consider time well-spent.
    Oh, i'm not exactly proud of it either, it's usually things like you describe, a small talk with the neighbour, checking some interesting sites (like this one) listening to a song etc etc, it's extremely interesting at that moment though, certainly more interesting than being on time and looking awkwardly at the clock untill something starts.

and yes, I also asume that a couple of minutes late actually is on time. I'm not hours late, just fashionable late.

It drives some people nuts though, they'll stick to the schedule like...I don't know, punctual bastards i'd say.

It's the Interesting > duty/social mores that for me indicates Ne dom. It's like, come on, this was more interesting, how can you blame me for not following that made up rule exactly?

And yeah, Ni doms can be late, very true. But I'd say in their cases it's usually by choice, a bit like with me. Weak Ni would probably just be losing lack of time or extreme planning falacies, not sure, maybe i'm confusing Ni behaviour and Se behaviour (planning and following through). It's allllllllll complicated

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Reficulris

It's the Interesting > duty/social mores that for me indicates Ne dom. It's like, come on, this was more interesting, how can you blame me for not following that made up rule exactly?
    Well, no offense, but I don't assume that I'm 'above' anything in those sort of situations. If I tell you that I'm going to be somewhere at a certain time, then I should either show up like I said I would, or tell you beforehand that I can't make it. Idk, I'd just feel arrogant and inconsiderate if I just went ahead and pulled something like that for the hell of it. It's not funny or quirky to me or whatever to just show up some place last minute all disheveled and right out of the shower.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I know some perpetually late IEIs. I don't think strong Ni makes people arrive places on time. Though my EIE and LIE parents are ALWAYS EARLY EVERYWHERE and flip out if you're even a couple of minutes late. To me a couple of minutes late is still on time, unless you're catching a plane or something.
    Ni makes me feel like I can bend time.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The rules are there for a reason also. Imagine how annoyingly inefficient everything would be if people were just laissez-faire about everything. Some people don't have time to waste, and I realize how annoying that sort of flaky behavior is because I've been at the receiving end of it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol. suedehead come home!

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

The rules are there for a reason also. Imagine how annoyingly inefficient everything would be if people were just laissez-faire about everything. Some people don't have time to waste, and I realize how annoying that sort of flaky behavior is because I've been at the receiving end of it.
    I get all freaked out about time. If I feel I am going to be late and can't call, I will focus on trying to slow time down. In a sense it is kind of like praying but not to a god. It can be stressful but sometimes I put myself in this timeless frame of mind which allows me to move through traffic in a very efficient way and time the lights so I get through them all. I am almost never real late no matter how much time I give myself I seem to find a way to arrive within 5 minutes, before or after my appointment time. Not disheveled or wet hair.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

i arrive on time or 10-15 minutes late but look like shayt (normally because of having rushed??) ,pls type.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ref and i had pretty much exactly the same conversation in the chatbox once.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    lol. suedehead come home!
    Lol, fuck. I've always been reluctant to do it. I don't know if it's forer effect/introjection of traits that I associate with IEE's, or me worrying that it'll be glaringly obvious that we don't share the same values (I mean, if I'm IEE then I'd be your supervisor, imagine that) and it'll blow up in my face like I've seen happen to a few members on here.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lol, fuck. I've always been reluctant to do it. I don't know if it's forer effect, or me worrying that it'll be glaringly obvious that we don't share the same values (I mean, if I'm IEE then I'd be your supervisor) and it'll blow up in my face like I've seen happen to a few members on here.
    blow up in your face how? forum haters?

if it turned out i'm wrong and it became "glaringly obvious" later i dont see how thats even something to worry about. except that you'd have to reevaluate some stuff in your brain. if you wanted to.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I get all freaked out about time. If I feel I am going to be late and can't call, I will focus on trying to slow time down. In a sense it is kind of like praying but not to a god. It can be stressful but sometimes I put myself in this timeless frame of mind which allows me to move through traffic in a very efficient way and time the lights so I get through them all. I am almost never real late no matter how much time I give myself I seem to find a way to arrive within 5 minutes, before or after my appointment time. Not disheveled or wet hair.
    Lol, interesting. Can't imagine what that must be like, unless I'm over-thinking it. Is that like tunnel vision?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Lol, interesting. Can't imagine what that must be like, unless I'm over-thinking it. Is that like tunnel vision?
    actually it's a very expansive state.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Reficulris

Well, no offense, but I don't assume that I'm 'above' anything in those sort of situations. If I tell you that I'm going to be somewhere at a certain time, then I should either show up like I said I would, or tell you beforehand that I can't make it. Idk, I'd just feel arrogant and inconsiderate if I just went ahead and pulled something like that for the hell of it. It's not funny or quirky to me or whatever to just show up some place last minute all disheveled and right out of the shower.
    well, no offense taken I injected myself into the conversation to show the difference, if you were to agree with my pov than that'd be wierd ;-)

You see, the weight that is attributed to that reliability is actually not something that people value equally. I don't mind if people show up late or communicate badly. There are others on the forum that feel the same. Than again there are a lot who feel like you do.

Efficient? Ehhh.. and what would you be working towards with that efficiency?? Is it Interesting? ;-) That's the crux, the Ne dom DOESN:T VALUE efficiency. Or at least not as a very very important value.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    ref and i had pretty much exactly the same conversation in the chatbox once.
    Hihi De-Ja-Vu, Decided to butt in to give some contrast to the conversation.

I'm probably less bad as you guys think, i mean, if I know someone is very punctual i'll try to accomodate, it's just...that is about as annoying to me as me being late is to you.

That, imho, gives a little glimpse of quadra values.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I think this is NI dom in it's essence, foresight in a way that is completely unconcious. You see, it's not that you magically move faster, it's that you take the factors in account on such a high level that it is completely automatic.

I can do that, in a sense, but it costs more energy than i'm willing to spend.

I'm master of my luck though, it works kinda the same way as your time management; i can go something ill prepared and disheveled and people will still think it charming, think my bluff is knowledge, think i deserve a second third fourth fifth etc chance go out of their way to give me what I want.

It creates a kind of presumptiousness in me that things will work out in my favour and they always do (random things, my life isn't just sunshine mind you).

It also makes it so that I have an extremely external locus of controle as in, I believe that things happen as they happen. If i'm late...i'm late. If i get fired I get fired. If I need to get something done, well, there will be a point where it's inevitable to do something. If i'm not pressured to do something I'll just do something else that's more engaging.

It also creates this expectation of my health; I've never been seriously injured so I assume I'll be healthy and take very poor care of myself.

So, let's asume i'm Ne dom i'd say it works like this;

Ne dom takes care of a lot of my problems.
    Which means that Ni doesn't have to kick in except for long term things (which I WILL consciously plan for and usually get depressed about)
    Se gets overruled by Ne and doesn't come into the picture except when the environment forces it upon me
    Si only comes into play when i'm ill or suffering from my bodies limits, i usually have a mind over body approach to my body since being forced to focus attention from something interesting to body maintenance is such a hassle

I've left the rational functions out since i'm completely unsure how they function in my life.

But it's a nice example of how the priorities of an Ne dom lie.

Also, concerning OP; none of the things you mention are actually Ne related imho ;-)

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Refuculris

Also, concerning OP; none of the things you mention are actually Ne related imho ;-)
    So what about daydreaming then? Sometimes I'll daydream about what it'd be like to have a certain job, certain skills, certain friends, etc. which I guess could be like Ne focusing on potential as opposed to what is. You see, it's things like that which throw me off, because the way people describe Se on here is like someone who's on sensory autopilot 24/7.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm late a lot.

esp for class and clinicals.

and for stuff.

I hate feeling rushed unless I absolutely have to and it's important.

I call or text if I'm going to be more than 10-15 minutes late.

and...I don't really care if people are late either as long as they give me a call/text if it's more than 10-15 minutes.

i feel super smothered if everything's always planned out and has to be a certain way....... ugh god. can't take too much of that.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I've decided on being IEE, I've never actually thought about why I think Ne is my base function, so I'll list a few things out for you and you can give me your thoughts. None of it really seems special to me, and in fact, I view a lot of it is inconvenient, or a hindrance.

-I'm not good at being attractive. I know what looks good on me and I'm highly opinionated about it, and I'm aware of the nuances of body language, good posture, etc. but I sometimes end up failing terribly at it. Whether it be because of anxiety, a lack of funds, etc. I alternate between looking semi-respectable, and looking weak/pathetic depending on my confidence level. It isn't an automatic thing for me.

-When watching movies I'll often notice stupid shit instead of taking it all it face value . Lots of inside jokes and stupid "I see what he's doing there" moments. When I watch Mad Men and notice a major event is happening, I'll usually think things like "I wonder if this will be a central theme/conflict throughout the season".

-I have issues with motivation and persistence.

-I get easily distraught/irritable when I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, uncomfortable, etc and can't just push through it.

-Sometimes I'll be enjoying a movie, and start thinking about other movies on Hulu/Netflix that I'd enjoy watching and add a bunch of them on me queue, instead of focusing on finishing the movie.

-I overthink things and get distracted.

-I sometimes binge read Wikipedia articles and old forum posts.

-I've gone to the library looking for a specific book, only to get there and realize that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway.

-I'll sometimes make generalizations or archetypal statements that I don't take seriously.
    The bolded fit me, the bolded italicised sometimes fits.

The last two statements, i vary a little... when i go to a library for a specific book i often hget distracted by other book i haven't read or want to read and can spend a long time there.

The statements i make are often as part of info sourcing and generally not meant in any personal capacity.

The other things don't fit me at all. I am also supposed to be Ne base (Ne sub if you believe the subtype theory)

I think some of the statements can be considered Ne base type things to do but generally lots of other factors play a role in these.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geminatronix View Post
    The bolded fit me, the bolded italicised sometimes fits.

The last two statements, i vary a little... when i go to a library for a specific book i often hget distracted by other book i haven't read or want to read and can spend a long time there.

The statements i make are often as part of info sourcing and generally not meant in any personal capacity.

The other things don't fit me at all. I am also supposed to be Ne base (Ne sub if you believe the subtype theory)

I think some of the statements can be considered Ne base type things to do but generally lots of other factors play a role in these.
    The library example is interesting. I usually go in with a few authors already in mind, and nothing else really catches my attention. There's no "what else can I find here?" feeling--everything else in the library is just tuned out. Once I find the book I wanted I'm pretty much just looking forward to reading it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at most a few minutes late, but only because I dump the breakfast in my mouth, speed through traffic, run through the parking lot, etc. I've gotten really good at being on time this way.

and the fact that I'm never late gives me the impression that I can procrastinate even harder before getting up, creating a positive feedback loop leading to me needing to eat breakfast faster, speed more through traffic, run faster through the parking lot...

More generally, virtually everything I do is absolutely last minute. Online tax software is a godsend.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The library example is interesting. I usually go in with a few authors already in mind, and nothing else really catches my attention. There's no "what else can I find here?" feeling--everything else in the library is just tuned out. Once I find the book I wanted I'm pretty much just looking forward to reading it.
    Ah well, it's not that i can't be decisive but I am a bit of an explorer and a magpie to all things new and shiny, including info.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Refuculris

So what about daydreaming then? Sometimes I'll daydream about what it'd be like to have a certain job, certain skills, certain friends, etc. which I guess could be like Ne focusing on potential as opposed to what is. You see, it's things like that which throw me off, because the way people describe Se on here is like someone who's on sensory autopilot 24/7.
    Yeah, daydreaming is considered intuition.

For me it's usually Ni going off on something Ne thought up. It gives a sequential progression of how things might play out.

However, it's not like people with Se dom won't deadream at all. Just like Ne types will have Some Ne (otherwise they'd die probably).

I'd say both the nature and ammount of daydreaming might be indicative of type; Those types that daydream a lot usually do so under certain circumstances. I don't think ILI and LIE daydream that much for instance, maybe because of Te influence.

IEI is notorious for daydreaming, they're always talking to their imaginary SLE friends ;-)

ILE will daydream under stress. IEE when bored i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I'm at most a few minutes late, but only because I dump the breakfast in my mouth, speed through traffic, run through the parking lot, etc. I've gotten really good at being on time this way.

and the fact that I'm never late gives me the impression that I can procrastinate even harder before getting up, creating a positive feedback loop leading to me needing to eat breakfast faster, speed more through traffic, run faster through the parking lot...

More generally, virtually everything I do is absolutely last minute. Online tax software is a godsend.
    Yeah, breakfast doesn't even enter into the equation with me anymore. But than, I usually only eat when my body gives me real warning signs like dissyness (or when @woofwoofl starts spamming pizza in chatbox).

Lol at the feedback loop I have the same phenomena.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

IEI is notorious for daydreaming, they're always talking to their imaginary SLE friends ;-)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@lungs @Reficulris @blackburry

Do you guys think I could be SLI? I went to the pier earlier with my camera and I felt pretty calm and locked into/immersed in what I was doing - my mind was dead quiet and my body was moving in a sort of flowy, autopilot-ish way. Nothing else mattered. I was taking in all the sounds, sights and smells somewhat passively in an ethereal, self-soothing way and enjoying the shit out of it. All this struck me as Si, although that level of passive 'flowiness' when it comes to the senses isn't necessarily a default state for me (although to be fair, it was just unusually nice there today), and I find it kind of empty after a while. Heh.

I live in the present moment usually, but it's a different feeling from that. I'm far from sold on SLI being my type, but it's curious and I just felt like throwing it out there.
    Last edited by suedehead; 05-19-2014 at 01:51 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-When watching movies I'll often notice stupid shit instead of taking it all it face value . Lots of inside jokes and stupid "I see what he's doing there" moments.
    I don't know what your base function is, but this is something you said that really stuck out to me as a possible Ne thing. My friend who is EII does something somewhat similar to this all of the time. When we go see a movie if something vaguely weird or stupid happens he will laugh. Like he sees some sort of underlying stupidity to something that was supposed to be taken seriously. When I first got to know him it was something that he would do, and I would know what he is laughing at, but its not something I would ever think to laugh at because "that's just not what people do". As time went on his sense of humor rubbed off on me and now we look like idiots in a movie theatre laughing at serious scenes. One clear example is in the trailer for "Deliver Us From Evil", when the owl hoots at 2:21 me and my friend bursted out laughing when we were in Godzilla. Maybe you have no clue what I'm talking about and I would not be surprised because it's something that is so idiosyncratic. Then again my IEE friend shares that sense of humor with him so it may very well be an Ne thing. I know my ESI friend just finds it weird so.. there's that.
    Last edited by Contra; 05-19-2014 at 04:07 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say both the nature and ammount of daydreaming might be indicative of type; Those types that daydream a lot usually do so under certain circumstances. I don't think ILI and LIE daydream that much for instance, maybe because of Te influence.
    hahah, you definitely haven't met me then. I seriously turn more boring tasks into mindless routine just so that I can daydream while I'm doing them. I maximize time for daydreaming. It's like 70% of what I do. It also depends on what you consider to be daydreaming though because compared to the IEIs I know my daydreaming generally has a Te influence. Like I might imagine me performing in certain future careers so that I can establish what field I want to go into and establish goals along the way. However, in that example I make the daydreaming sound tentative. It's far from it. It's more compulsive and repetitive.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you are probably right. In that case, I'm not sure my comment pertains much to what Suedehead was talking about. Hard to tell.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Suedehead i hate saying this but ive heard about that kind of experience from lots of different people. maybe somebody better at this than i am could see something about the way you wrote it out that points to any certain types.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuralia View Post
    Like he sees some sort of underlying stupidity to something that was supposed to be taken seriously.
    this kind of thing i don't provide so much myself but i often really, really like it in other people. whatever it is could be in my superid.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm… interesting. I guess I don't really know. Like I said earlier, it's something that I do now but I only pull it out when my EII friend is around. I never used to laugh at stuff like that but he just sort of brought it out of me. I can tell it is very unnatural of me like I have to stretch myself to see what he sees. I almost feel like I'm using Ni to achieve the same result my EII friend achieves with Ne. When I'm around my ESI friend I kind of have to shut up because she will just give us looks like we are idiots or like she has no clue what we are laughing at. Maybe we are talking about slightly different behaviors…?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuralia View Post
    Hmm… interesting. I guess I don't really know. Like I said earlier, it's something that I do now but I only pull it out when my EII friend is around. I never used to laugh at stuff like that but he just sort of brought it out of me. I can tell it is very unnatural of me like I have to stretch myself to see what he sees. I almost feel like I'm using Ni to achieve the same result my EII friend achieves with Ne. When I'm around my ESI friend I kind of have to shut up because she will just give us looks like we are idiots or like she has no clue what we are laughing at. Maybe we are talking about slightly different behaviors…?
    i spent a lot of time around an eii and and iei this weekend and its something i notice in both of them. not that its exclusive to those two types, or even necessarily type related at all.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah maybe I will figure this out eventually because I'm definitely clueless at this point.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm trying to remember what I was getting at when I wrote it. I think I was watching an older Ingmar Bergman film (40s/50s) the night before and there were these jolly little Swedish kids speaking in really campy voices and I just...chuckled to myself throughout the whole scene. I probably have better examples than that, but I forget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast