Thread: INTj: Weak functions under pressure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTj: Weak functions under pressure

I seem to have gotten myself in over my head here. At least that's how it feels right now.

I'm on a first aid squad and I just got my EMT certification. I know my stuff, but everytime I get on a call, I freeze up and my supervisor takes over. It's humiliating and I'm starting to question whether I can do this job. Maybe it's just lack of experience.
    The book and test part was easy for me, and so now everyone (including me) not unreasonably expects me to be able to jump in and handle things, but it's just not happening.
    There's alot of and involved, as well as assaults on my (vomit and death, anyone?)
    Fear and nervousness I'm okay with, it's the feeling of incompetence that's bothering me.

EDIT: This thread probably won't resurrect, but I wanted to clarify: When speaking of my "supervisor" above, I meant in the squad, not my Socionics supervisor. (Actually, there IS an ESTp on the squad, but he's not who I was talking about.) Below, Blaze mentions my supervisor as ESTp, not sure if she misunderstood me or not.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, first off, Congratulations getting certified!

I'm not an EMT myself, but experience has taught me not to give up on things, especially once you put so much time into it. Just stick with it, take it one day at a time and try your best. We all have to get used to things, and we do this our own way.

There are times where I am expected to just jump into things, but I cant and then I feel like an idiot. But that's just the way it is.

We all "freeze up" in different ways, perhaps where you are freezing up has something to do with your type, but don't for one second doubt your ability to do this job because of your type. You know your stuff!

You just need more hands on experience. Don't rag on yourself, just stick to it, you'll be fine! & :wink:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTj: Weak functions under pressure

Quote Originally Posted by XcaliburGirl
    I seem to have gotten myself in over my head here. At least that's how it feels right now.

I'm on a first aid squad and I just got my EMT certification. I know my stuff, but everytime I get on a call, I freeze up and my supervisor takes over. It's humiliating and I'm starting to question whether I can do this job. Maybe it's just lack of experience.
    The book and test part was easy for me, and so now everyone (including me) not unreasonably expects me to be able to jump in and handle things, but it's just not happening.
    There's alot of and involved, as well as assaults on my (vomit and death, anyone?)
    Fear and nervousness I'm okay with, it's the feeling of incompetence that's bothering me.

Hi, I know I might have little credibility on such an issue having critiqued INTJs on many occasions on this site, but I am a doctor and have considerable experience on where INTJs are succesful and where not. The best EMT people I know are ESTJs. With the illusionary relation going on, they don't really trust and don't understand INTJs and ESTJs can be pretty hard on anyone.

In EMT there's little leeway for Ti-Ne creativity, the procedures are mostly routine and speed is important. Basically it's Te-work. Many positions in the medical field are better occupied by statics but the emergency room is not one of them. I know you're probably a very responsible person and know your theory well. If you persist, you could most probably find a way to survive in the field if you work twice as hard as the Te-guys but I really can't recommend it. I doubt you will find happiness that way and there's always the small chance that you'll use Ti-Ne authority-creativity at the wrong place and wrong time. It could get serious.

If you're already considering doing something to change your situation, I recommend it. You'll be better off in a position where the work does not dictate your routine and timing in such a serious way as in the emergency room.

I know I'm being a bit of a bastard and a jerk when I write in such a harsh manner. Sorry for that. The question is important though and I'm really only trying to help in my clumsy way.

Good luck on your endeavours,

-Smilex

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I knew when I got into first aid that I'd be forced to use my weaker functions...I probably should have seen this coming...I probably did and hoped that I'd be able to strengthen them . We'll see if that happens: I don't think I'm ready to give up just yet. However, I'm definately going to keep both sides of the argument in mind and perhaps talk to some of my fellow squad members about this.
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How great is it that you know about socionics theory and are evaluating your strengths and weaknesses already in the position you are in??

I actually agree with SE in theory. I say in theory only because I don't know you that well, only your type and what I know about intj's. EMT work I would think is highly crisis, johnny-on-the-spot type of work that either or is great for. Personally, I think perceptives are better at working with chaotic or crisis situations than judgers are.

Intj's might be better off in work that requires careful strategy, rather than tactics. But if you are going to go into the medical field, it's a great time to experiment and discover your weaknesses. I think there are distinct advantages to knowing your own weaknesses well - this way you don't get yourself into situations where you are prone to fail. The key is not to personalize it.

Don't worry excaliburgirl, you have a lot of time ahead of you to experiment with different working situations, and like I said, it's great that socionics is here to help you early on. What a great time-saver!

In the meantime, however, try to take it on the chin at work. Your supervisor wants to see how tough you are - if he is estp he'll respect you for being able to accept critical feedback.
    Entp
    ILE

Creepy-

dfgf

Creepy-

Funny, I knew for some time that I tend to freeze in emergencies, but never before seen it described so accurately.

I was never in ER or medicine profession, but my father has severe diabetic and at about 16 years of age I had ENFJ girlfriend, who tended to loose consciousness suddenly and without warning several times a week. I had to deal with such situations.

After some time I realize 2 things:

I freeze up because (as Zelazny put it)" the peacock tail of possibilities grows from every single moment.” Being able to see all or most of them due to Ne I need some time to process information and invent the solution for each (I). But then (several seconds/minutes later) due to painful Se I can not see which is most important to deal with first. Always envied ISTJ, they either know the procedure protocol and follow it without doubt and delay, or not (not often). Even if I was given instructions, several different one come to mind, which to choose?

If the situation is clear cut and you know exactly what to do, the mere fact that I have to react immediately takes so much energy, it is debilitating. I found with my girlfriend that I CAN react fast enough to catch her before she would fall on the floor, get her to lie/sit, revive her, get her to drink some water ….And then several hours later after emergency had past, the reaction would settle in: I suddenly would feel absolutely drained of energy with headache and shaking hands. Usually all I could do at that point was lie down and stare at the sealing for the rest of the day.

It probably did make me a better and stronger person but I do not know for how long I would be able to last under such duress.