Thread: Xenoblade

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Xenoblade

I wonder what people's thoughts are on this game.

Spoiler alert: Fiora is an LSE.

scribbles in the dark

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Holon View Post
    I wonder what people's thoughts are on this game.

Spoiler alert: Fiora is an LSE.
    I'm thinking Shulk is either an LII or EII or perhaps ILE...

I beat the game earlier this year. It was alright I suppose. Decent voice acting, well designed worlds, the battle system was pretty tip top. The story was a bit melodramatic at times, but its a JRPG so that's what I'd expect. It got pretty long at the end and the quests became extremely repetitive. Overall I enjoyed my time with it and am anticipating the sequel next year.

What did you think of it?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually still only doing Satorl Marsh...

I really got into Shulk's character around the time of Bionis' Leg, where the major theme for his character was the feelings of helplessness caused by his visions. I also love the game's sense of scale. Colony 9 at the start was a really great way of drawing your attention to it; I still remember feeling sick to my stomach running and running and running to get back.

So far at least, the game feels like a real adventure. Bionis' Leg for example had a lot of really great unscripted moments, like grabbing quest items out from under monsters that kill you in a few hits, or finding secret areas with great views, or that one unique monster that suddenly climbs up a cliff and gives you an exhilarating escape out of some ruins hidden away in a valley.

scribbles in the dark

Creepy-male

You've got a long way to go with lots of adventure left. Yeah I remember that monster well, and Satorl Marsh is incredible at night with the iridescent fog settling over the landscape. Needless to say I think that the music is by far one the best aspects of that game, especially in Colony 9 but perhaps with the exception of Bionis' Leg -- that ABBA-like track became extremely repetitive after 20 hours or so of exploring and questing. The sense of scale will amaze you even further as you progress -- some of the scenery in that game is just totally captivating, topping itself again and again.

I get a little OCD with quest lists and leveling up, so I spent a helluva lot of time doing everything -- it's worth it. The game took me around 160 hours or so to finish.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I try to only play when I can get into the projector rooms at uni.

Did you play The Last Story?

scribbles in the dark

Creepy-male

Nice, that's the way to soak it all in. No, I haven't played the Last Story, though I've heard of it and so it's on my list of Wii RPGs to check out.

Last summer I started gaming again after like a 5 or 6 year hiatus. The last few RPGs I've played: right now, Chrono Trigger DS; Mother, NES; Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, GCN; XenoBlade; and I believe Final Fantasy III (VI), SNES.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy for PS2 is my next game.

You get around much on the gaming scene?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always a bit late to the party when it comes to games culture. I have a lot of works across a lot of types of media to catch up on.

At some point I'll save up for a PS3 and Ni No Kuni and the ICO&SotC Collection. I managed to auto-shill by setting this as my wallpaper:

The Last Story is a bit of a mixed bag. The start is really strong, and the first time you meet Calista she's a great character... and then she kind of gets kicked out of the story in the name of the background plot. It's such a shame the game got rushed out. It could've been a real 10/10, but as it stands it's a mere mix of what it is and suggestions of what it might have been.

You mentioned Chrono Trigger. I think that's a great example of how a game's need to be a game can still interact well with an RPG's need to tell a story and have interesting characters. How many times have you played? Did the Zeal story affect you at all? I always feel a bit sick and bittersweet on replays, especially with Corridors of Time playing in the background. It's such beautiful and adventurous music, but with such a devastatingly subtle melancholic undercurrent.

Also, what are your thoughts on Chrono's type?

scribbles in the dark

Creepy-male

I concur, Chrono Trigger is definitely of an era where RPG gameplay and storytelling were at a peak. Since its release, I've played through Chrono Trigger probably close to maybe 10 or so times. So I know the game fairly well. When I was younger and more prone to immersing myself deeply into video games I would say that the story had a profound impact on me. What is the story essentially about? Finding and creating meaning for oneself in the face of change, decay, death and time -- Lavos. It's not like a philosophical treatise or anything but it's heavy stuff for a little 7 or 8 year old.

YEAH!! I'm just playing through the Antiquity or Dark Ages part of the game again -- Corridors of Time is easily one of my favorites. In addition to what you're saying about it's bittersweetness -- I agree -- the feeling of the nostalgia of one's childhood, when one perhaps first played this game, coupled further with the meditation on the themes of death and change burns even deeper. When I was younger I'd say that Magus was the most interesting character. He's an existentialist loner seeking authenticity forever betwixt and between identities. I wish they would have fleshed his character out more or extended his arc into Chrono Cross.

As for Crono, since he's the perpetually silent protagonist I'm going to say LSI or IEI. Lucca is ILE. Frog is maybe SEI. Marle, EIE. Robo, LII. Oh, and Ayla? SLE. Magus, perhaps EIE-Ni, Ni-IEI, or Ni-ILI, not sure.
    Last edited by male; 06-21-2014 at 06:27 AM.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always liked Frog the most as a emotional spin on the fairytale Sir Knight, much like Zael from The Last Story. I was sad he didn't get much more story. Every time I go back and play Chrono Trigger it's after listening to his theme.

It was always disappointing seeing Lucca give Chrono up to Marle. I kept her in my party with him on principle. There's a certain scene that happens when she's around after he gets resurrected that's extra touching.

Unfortunately I didn't get into Chrono Trigger until I was a teenager. Games don't anchor me so much in time, but it's interesting to see how they change with you as a person, reflecting new things that you never would have noticed before, yielding new stories as your own develops.

For me, Zeal is always a complicated scenario. It's pitifully decadent, but I still cringe with anticipatory grief. Nothing deserves to be lost like that, even a civilisation that has completely lost its way. Nobody wants change, and nobody wants to lose the things that keep their heart beating, no matter how complicated and flawed those things may be, right?

scribbles in the dark