Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting articles thread

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...k/settlements/

The practice of using race and gender to determine personal injury damages, which dates back at least a century, has produced some striking results.

The case of the male fetus and 6-year-old girl came in 1996, after a collision between a postal truck and a car left the car’s passengers – the girl and her godmother, a pregnant 33-year-old *– dead.

In the case, which took place in a federal court in the Southern District of Georgia, both sides agreed the male fetus’s award to be higher than the girl’s, largely because of the difference in how much they were expected to earn over their lifetime, commonly known as “future lost income.” That’s despite testimony that the girl “exhibited a level of intellectual ability and behavior that surpassed that of most other students” and had a college fund in the works. The fetus’s mother had not completed college and the father was unknown, according to court records.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Very simplified version of a similar article I read last year.

At What Age Is The Brain Fully Developed?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 02-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what I think overall about this article but it sideswiped me with an interesting take on fears that I experience.

https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/ma...is-killing-us/

I don’t want to be loved. I want to be cared for and prioritized, and I want to build a world where romantic love is not a prerequisite for these investments—especially not under a current regime with such a limited potential for which bodies are lovable. Which bodies can be loved, cared for, and invested in.

It does not have to be this way. We can commit to keeping each other alive despite our sexual capital. We need to care for each other to keep each other alive. The myth of self-assurance is neoliberal victim-blaming in an attempt to obscure, neutralize and depoliticize our actions in the name of independent thoughts and actions and to skirt accountability.

Can we care for each other outside of love? Can we commit to keeping the unloved and unlovable alive? Is this a world that we have the potential to build?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    What history's love letters reveal

Charlotte Brontë’s infatuated notes, Henry VIII’s lovesick doodles and the anguished scribbles of Nelson’s mistress: Fiona Macdonald picks eight love letters that offer a different slant on history.

“Love letters are an expression of intimacy; their words allow us insight into the private relationships of people down the ages,” writes Andrea Clarke in a book that brings together a collection of manuscripts looking at 2,000 years of romance. Published by the British Library, Love Letters traces a history of Britain through “handwritten, intimate exchanges between couples,” that “span centuries, cultures and continents”.
    I kinda wanna start writing love letters to countries, like my love is too much for just one person

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This 75-Year Harvard Study Found the 1 Secret to Leading a Fulfilling Life

"
    What that means is this: It doesn't matter whether you have a huge group of friends and go out every weekend or if you're in a "perfect" romantic relationship (as if those exist). It's the quality of the relationships--how much vulnerability and depth exists within them; how safe you feel sharing with one another; the extent to which you can relax and be seen for who you truly are, and truly see another."

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tea-Rex alert

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast