Member Questionnaire 1 (patmjohnson)
What is beauty? What is love?
beauty is an inner quality that draws people to you, it is a quality that enhances your outward appearance and where others choose to be around you

love is an emotion that draws to you anything outside of yourself
What are your most important values?
honesty, truthfulness, loyalty
Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
I believe in the laws of the universe, that we are all connected. I believe that what we do to another we will do to ourselves. I believe that behind every trial and tribulation we undergo, there is a life lesson to be learned, or a belief that needs to be modified and/or expanded.
Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
Power is earned, not achieved. You will never gain loyalty through force. You can never "make" someone believe what you believe. The greatest leaders are those who work alongside their employees to achieve a common goal. War solves no problems - it creates other problems.
What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
Archaeology, natural remedies, the value of shamans - these are things I am interested in. Actually, I am interested in a lot of things - except sports.
Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
Yes. I am focused on my body insofar as what I put into it. I am interested in natural medicines.
What do you think of daily chores?
They can be tedious however I like the results. In other words, where I would just as soon procrastinate and do them tomorrow, by doing them right away they are done and I can go onto other things that I enjoy more.
Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
My favorite is the Jean Auel series - involved archaeology, showed things in a different way. For example, we tend to view ourselves as so much more intelligent and our ancestors as ignorant. I loved the way life was more in tune with nature. I like biographies or stories where the hero/heroine demonstrated coming through a difficult situation.
What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
Cry - cruelty.

Smile - a baby cooing and gurgling. A dog exploring his environment. A beautiful garden. Flowers. A beautiful sunny day. Fog - so ethereal. There is so much to smile about.
Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
in my home; with friends and family; walking a nature trail; sitting on the shore of a lake, river or ocean, watching squirrels and birds
What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
No one has ever pointed out my weaknesses (at least not to me). There are things I would like to improve upon in myself but I think I have worked through all the things I used to dislike about myself. You know, you change the things you can change and accept the things you cannot change.
What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
No one has ever pointed out my strengths (at least not to me). What do I like about myself. I don't engage in idle gossip, if there is a rumor going around I am usually the last one to know. I am a loyal friend. I have learned to refrain from changing who I am to suit others around me.
In what areas of your life would you like help?
I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I would like an idea of where I should concentrate my time and effort. I have a feeling things are changing in my life and am both apprehensive and excited. I grew up in a family where women had no value and education was a waste of money. Any dream I had was put down as being "high falooting" "above my station" "get real". I have reached every goal I ever set out (always small goals) so, where do I go from here.
Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I get along with most people. The people I tend to avoid are those who are narcissistic or play mind games. There is no place for me in their lives.

Control freaks. It is their issue yet they expect everyone to cater to them, and understand.
How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
I love romance and sex. The qualities I look for in a partner include being down-to-earth, loyal, honest, truthful
If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
I raised two children and my main concerns were that they had unconditional love, fed healthy food, they could come to me with any concern and I would listen, they listen to their "gut", they learn the basic skills to take care of themselves.
A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
That has happened. My inward reaction was to cringe. I then asked questions - why do you believe that - what has happened in your life to go in that direction - how is your beliefs being reinforced - have you looked at other possibilities..... I try to get a dialogue going. I have taken a different approach and the reasons are.... Sometimes people want to believe what they want to believe and do not want to hear anything different. That is their choice. I make the choices I make for my own reasons and cannot deny the friend to make their own choices. I do not have to live with their choices and we are friends because I accept that. If I didn't we would not be friends.
Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
I like people. I see people who tend to be concerned with their own family/friend circle however when there is trouble they all come together and work together to help each other through.

Social problem - those people who get ahead on the backs of others. High demands, poor wages. Slum landlords
How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
My friends are those who accept me just the way I am. I can be myself and so can they. We don't have to talk to be comfortable - we just have to be.
How do you behave around strangers?
I tend to hang back to assess "the lay of the land". If I see someone standing by themselves, I will approach that person and strike up a conversation. If I see a large group, I may or may not approach. Sometimes that large group appears to be friends and I don't want to intrude. Sometimes I see that the large group is just a large group of people so I will approach them.