Thread: What perception function(s) am I using?

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default What perception function(s) am I using?

I already got an opinion on this in a previous thread after posting a few anecdotes about how I think my perception process works, but I thought it'd be more accurate if I gave a more spontaneous example of how my thinking process works, what generally stands out to me, etc. by describing a few pictures, briefly. I'm not very eloquent, but yeah, here it is.

I like how rich the tones are. Kind of looks like Andy Warhol from behind.

Really liked this. It projects an image of strength, unity, and resilience. Although it's of course a tragedy, assuming there were supposed to be people living in those wrecked buildings depicted.

Love the detail. Kind of erotic.

I love how tense it is. I can almost feel the rush of being almost a split-second away from slicing someone who probably deserves it, as morbid as that sounds.

Slow shutter speed, tripod. I like it.

Looks confident. Nice legs.

Looks huge. I wonder where that is. I'm probably a speck in comparison to all that.

This painting has always had a calming effect on me for whatever reason. It almost feels as if I'm engulfed in it, as dramatic as that sounds.
    Last edited by suedehead; 04-21-2014 at 09:27 PM.

TIM
    9w1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1: powerful minimalism imo kinda like upper-class sterile torment.may have been done anywhere in the 60s or today
    2: i see the appeal i this one. kinda like the good guys arrive only to find ruins but it looks like sth taken out of my primary school history books so meh
    3: indeed. i like the kind of femininity in ancient greek/roman statues. i think that the preraphaelites did sth similar in painting
    4: dunno why but this looks like a sneaky man's hand
    5: romanticized urban hustle i guess
    6: Se creative??!!!
    7: reminds me of the cliff Papillon would jump from in that film. also, wonder if this is green soil or trees
    8: this one has the same effect on me as well =o

interesting choice of pictures but dunno about the functions
    unholy water sanguine addiction

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the last painting the men are about to let loose their dogs on an unsuspecting group of iceskaters. Survivors will be null or mere limbs.

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    1) Looks like Andy Warhol in the process of dying from a stroke or heart attack, in a retro-upholstered room. Perceptually drawn to the green color of the couch, it seems the most vivid and saliently interesting aspect of the picture.

2) Warfare themes are always appealing, but I don't know about the grainy matte looking finish on this. As it makes the illustration insufficiently contrasting and not stark enough for my usual tastes, thus mutedly blurring the scene together.

3) Comes across as a fairly standard sculpture, as if resembling pieces I've commonly seen before. Hard for brain to extract anything evocative from it despite the obvious curvatures.

4) Feeling a bit disappointed and blue-balled by the picture. Wanting to know what the sword looks like, whether it's ever been drawn in anger, how it might look afterwards.

5) Reminds me of some rainy day morning commute in a large city. And a vague disgust at people looking busy & productive, shuffling through like mechanical rats.

6) I like her poise and she gives off an attractive vibe. But wish she didn't look like she's in the ~1940-50s, that era turns me off for some reason. She reminds me of someone, and I realize it's probably Lauren Bacall.

7) Looks like White Cliffs of Dover or something. I keep noticing the image seems pixelated and this is making it hard to focus on anything besides that. There's vague allusions to science + geologic timescales shifting in the back of my mind too.

8) This is kinda neat and doesn't inspire any immediate criticism. It makes me wonder who painted it; I reflexively imagine them being from the 1300-1500s and that they're painting a scene of events around them, and I'm wanting to know how the artist experienced life as it was.
    oh fucking el oh el... realllllyyyyy....? you take yourself way too seriously, bro.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

random: i used to think you were SEI, but you are a lot more receptive to Te than Ti and likewise, Te types than Ti types. which is interesting.

TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Your art and music choices makes me think that you make symbolic connections easily and you seem intuitive. I admit I created a perception of you early on, and even though I tried to change it, in my mind I have stereotyped you... which you may remember.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    random: i used to think you were SEI, but you are a lot more receptive to Te than Ti and likewise, Te types than Ti types. which is interesting.
    How so?

Well, the thread went in a different direction than I intended it to (although I realize how self-indulgent this all is), and I'm still interested in hearing thoughts on what I've written, although I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to gauge anything from that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. He was crying so hard he slipped off the couch. He's probably overreacting to some delusions of his life slipping down the drain. In a sec his boss is gonna call him and it turns out he did NOT lose his job and he'll perk up and act like nothing happened and make some posh tea and drink a posh magazine on his posh couch.

2. These guys look like they have NO idea what they're doing. like shit why did I sign up for this stupid military... I miss my dog. they're drenched in adrenaline. in the zone, so close to danger they feel like they're floating.

3. Whoever made this was probably enslaved to a king. It likely has religious meaning that the artist doesn't actually relate to, but maybe he tries to to forget the pain of being a slave.

4. Sweaty territorial man. He wants to slay his enemies but he has none (whao).

5. On the surface they look sheepish, wet and Chinese, but many of them are in their own worlds and aren't paying attention. They're just going somewhere, it could be anywhere.

6. Too posed. Everything about this picture is too polished and ironed. money money money. Composition sucks too. Who is she?

7. I want to be there. What kind of grass is that? It looks like enormously thick moss.

8. I remember seeing this in the art history course I took. It's quaint. Every creature looks humble, except the birds.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    How so?
    often Ti-valuing types have the proclivity of asking for reasoning for types in a way that i can't really respond to, demanding the structural basis for the typing and how it relates to model A etc. whereas Te types often ask for external cues, and seem to be more interested in similarities and dissimilarities between types (phenomenal basis for the info > structural).

while i haven't seen you talk as much, you seem to not do the former, at least in response to the typings i suggest.

i also noticed, you used the type i suggested somewhere else as a reference for someone's type, and while it could be completely incidental, it strikes me as a more Te-tendency of correlating external traits and cues between people to = same type.

just random things i noticed. i'm not entirely confident about this and i don't really type people anymore. so grain of salt, etc.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. what is this I don't even
    2. Saving Private Ryan
    3. that statue is missing a finger
    4. that "samurai" is Caucasian
    5. motion sickness
    6. I'd stick it in her pooper
    7. that's a tall cliff
    8. I want to live there