Thread: Dressing up and dressing well

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dressing up and dressing well

reading this article that women dress to impress other women instead of men got me thinking of whether this is true or if the author was going for a catchy story. these questions however are open to everyone, not only the ladies:

what motivates you to "dress well"? social norms? impressing someone special? makeing yourself feel good about yourself? what would be some occasions where you would feel motivated(or coerced) to "dress up"?

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You mean in general, or just formal events? Assuming you mean the former, it's something that I enjoy doing and I guess there's a conscious part of me that likes to present my best self..although I don't really go out of my way to draw attention to what I'm wearing.
    Last edited by suedehead; 04-12-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    reading this article that women dress to impress other women instead of men got me thinking of whether this is true or if the author was going for a catchy story. these questions however are open to everyone, not only the ladies:

what motivates you to "dress well"? social norms? impressing someone special? makeing yourself feel good about yourself? what would be some occasions where you would feel motivated(or coerced) to "dress up"?
    What do you mean by "dress well"?

I dress to appreciate myself. Not for other women. Not specifically to impress men even if it's basically the goal as I am straight.
    My philosophy: if I like what I see in the mirror and feel confident about my choice, does not matter what I got on, a loose top or a stunning dress.
    That's how girls may sometimes look so gorgeous in a simple outfit with little make up on. Confidence.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i usually don't have any particular person or specific group of persons in mind when i get dressed. its funny but i think i dress well more for strangers than i do for the people i plan on being around - if i already know them and they've probably seen me in various outfits and with or without makeup and already have a visual image of me outside of what i look like right now. whereas for everybody else its a first impression. so i guess its about social norms for me. there are exceptions, like dates, i guess. if i want somebody to get close to me i'm extra particular about how i look close-up and i don't care about shaving my legs unless i'm going to be taking my pants off. theres also a good feeling inside that comes from knowing that you look good, but i don't think that counts for a whole lot since most of the time i'm home by myself all day i don't bother changing out of pajamas. tbh i think the last thing on my mind is other women, except for in rare cases where i will be hanging out with a particularly well dressed and attractive woman and i feel like she will be judging me if i don't put in the effort.

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh. it takes effort for me to care about what other people think..

I'll dress up for a date if it's at a nice place. most of the time that I do dress up it's because I was bored and woke up early.

TIM
    EIE - Fe / E3 sp/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what motivates you to "dress well"?

Self respect.

what would be some occasions where you would feel motivated(or coerced) to "dress up"?

I don't feel coerced to dress up when necessary. When it is obviously expected, I feel a sense of polite service or obligation. Certain settings call for a type of clothing (for example more modest, conservative, or formal than the usual every day attire) without which shows a lack of consideration, grace and respect - to the occasions as well as to the people there including oneself.

From my observations, men are the ones who act on messages sent by how a woman presents herself. But women are the ones who use the information as a power currency for rank and will pass on and communicate constantly about how other women present themselves (their rank). Thus, in a way it is true that women do dress for women, at least those who are aware their social standing is in the hands of other women.
    "Moral crusaders with zeal but no ethical understanding are likely to give us solutions that are worse than the problems."
    Charles Colson, How Now Shall We Live?

Fe - EIE Harmonizing 3w2
    Married to my dual LSI
    1w9

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I view dressing well as a sign of respectfulness. So if I am meeting friends to do something, I try to dress nicely in clothes that are appropriate for the occasion. Of course, I don’t always succeed due to inadequate control over my environment (like if what I want to wear is in a pile on my closet floor.) I guess that I appreciate it when other people show respect in that way.
    I do have a friend who has kind of a high opinion of herself and you can tell that her clothes are part of that image that she wants to project. You will sometimes notice her admiring her own jewelry, etc. She probably is dressing for other women to notice.
    I just remembered something as I was typing this - I got a new pair of cowboy boots this year and whenever I wear them, the boots get lots of compliments. I bought them because I thought they were cute and with no intention to impress, but now when I put them on, I confess that I do look forward to the compliments.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    EIE - Fe / E3 sp/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Iris, I'm the same as you regarding respect. Appropriateness is really important. The woman you know who likes to look at her jewelry is a good example of how other women constantly judge and put into a 'rank slot' other women. In your case, you say she "has kind of a high opinion of herself". If she is actually dressing for other women to notice, she is doing a terrible job of it unless she wants to be disliked, envied and alienated. Basically she is outdoing or showing up the status quo.

There is a woman in a couples fitness class I go to who has a funny (it makes me giggle to myself) habit of throwing into conversation things she has bought which are considered trendy, collectables, or just pricey as well as all the places she has been on vacation. It ends up coming off as gauche, in my opinion. Even more weird is when I got a new outfit and it was complimented on by the instructor and a few people, she made a face, but later asked me where I bought it. This kind of female stuff apparently never ends. Betty White is how old? Pushing 100 and still there is female/female snark-snark.

I look forward to getting compliments, which I hadn't expected on something I just bought for fun, too. It might be Fe? Enjoying good-feeling feedback from people.
    "Moral crusaders with zeal but no ethical understanding are likely to give us solutions that are worse than the problems."
    Charles Colson, How Now Shall We Live?

Fe - EIE Harmonizing 3w2
    Married to my dual LSI
    1w9

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've generally been the sort of person who almost has an uniform in certain areas of my life, e.g. wearing the same coat or jacket for a length period of time or limiting myself to certain colours. This may seem like I don't really care, but this is probably a 'safe' way for me to be. It's also the case that I like experimenting with different colours and patterns of clothes but I rarely move on to another style of clothing altogether.

I probably like to give the impression that when I wish to dress fairly well, I'll do it in my own time, almost as an afterthought. I would have no problem with anyone thinking that some clothes were ones I had put on to relax and to radiate myself!