Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: How much is an hour of your time worth?

  1. #1
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,944
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default How much is an hour of your time worth?



    There are people who spend much of their lives shopping...sometimes they claim to be preparing for the nuclear war or looking around for the best prices.

    But surely such people are wasting the immensely valuable commodity of time for the sake of buying things they don't really need or for saving a little bit of coin?

  2. #2
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,728
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    $10

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That depends on the person buying. Nothing at all when it comes to family and people in the in, rest I charge liek Maritsa, $25,000 per hour.

  4. #4
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you can make $20/hour, and you spend an hour of your time 'shopping' to find you can buy something $15 cheaper, you didn't really save $15. Your opportunity cost was $5, which you lost. You could have worked the hour instead of shopping, made $20, spent $15 more for the item quickly, and made $5 more net.
    the fatal presumption being that you can find work at your going rate at any point and aren't limited by the bounds of contract or some such convention.

  5. #5
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Plenty.

  6. #6
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More than you can afford
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  7. #7
    Esaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If they really enjoy shopping it is a hobby and the objective Te assessment goes out the window.

  8. #8
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i suspect most people think their time is valuable (or invaluable)--it's just that we can't be perfect in how we spend it. if one really realized how invaluable their time is, they might see that coveting time doesn't really help one be happy either. so i guess an hour of my time is invaluable and also not the point.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    iso i guess an hour of my time is invaluable and also not the point.
    $50,000?

  10. #10
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    $50,000?
    well i mean if you're offering, i would totally take $50,000. who would have known that you're independently wealthy?

    (the problem is what would one have to do or be for someone to pay them that much for 1 hr of their time. i can't think of anyone that i'd pay for an hour of their time. wait, well, that's not entirely true. there are doctors. we pay for services. what service costs 50k and takes 1 hr? don't ans that--i mean other than what one might think.)

  11. #11
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think another flaw in the reasoning is to presume that just because the average value of your time is X, the last marginal unit of time spent is worth that much. the productivity of your work at any particular activity is generally diminishing with every unit of time spent.

    (a typical example is a miner who keeps working past the point where he is too tired to lift his axe; that's when his productivity drops to near zero)

  12. #12
    Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    All about dat heart, no trouble.
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,472
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't equate it to money, I don't value time in monetary currency. I mean, of course I do to an extent. But I don't generally think in terms of spending time with people how much that should be. I have thought about it a little though... as in time banking. Time banking is a very interesting concept and really helped Japan recover fast after it's huge catastrophe. It's something that has no specific value in money... it's quite socialist/communist in that way... so it's like all time is equal... whoever gives it and for whatever reason. It is still counted though...

    Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

    In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

    When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

    So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

    InvisibruJim

  13. #13
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,472
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    the productivity of your work at any particular activity is generally diminishing with every unit of time spent.

    (a typical example is a miner who keeps working past the point where he is too tired to lift his axe; that's when his productivity drops to near zero)
    and the person who can't dance says the ground is tilted...
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  14. #14
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently $9.70 pluss 1% commission...:/

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  15. #15
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    Apparently $9.70 pluss 1% commission...:/
    1%?! Do you sell diamonds?
    Easy Day

  16. #16
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    1%?! Do you sell diamonds?
    nope, shitty cosmetics that I find hard to recommend to anyone.

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  17. #17
    24601 ClownsandEntropy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Posts
    670
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would need to be paid less to give up an hour of my life than I would pay to gain an extra hour. But maybe that's because the things I imagine myself doing may be worthwhile in themselves, like walking is good for health, and catching trams give me time to read.
    Warm Regards,



    Clowns & Entropy

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    White
    TIM
    FSE
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post


    There are people who spend much of their lives shopping...sometimes they claim to be preparing for the nuclear war or looking around for the best prices.

    But surely such people are wasting the immensely valuable commodity of time for the sake of buying things they don't really need or for saving a little bit of coin?

    How much is hkkmr paying you?

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    well i mean if you're offering, i would totally take $50,000. who would have known that you're independently wealthy?
    I was referring to the priceless hour of your time.

  20. #20
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    How much is hkkmr paying you?
    how much u charge 4 n hr?

    plz respnd

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  21. #21
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lots

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    White
    TIM
    FSE
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    how much u charge 4 n hr?

    plz respnd
    Hmmmm, usually 100x16 but for you? Mb only 10x69

  23. #23
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    nope, shitty cosmetics that I find hard to recommend to anyone.
    Do people buy make-up that often? I thought it was one of those things where you buy it and you have it forever cause you don't have to use it often.
    Easy Day

  24. #24
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't understand the question. Gotta run.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  25. #25
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Do people buy make-up that often? I thought it was one of those things where you buy it and you have it forever cause you don't have to use it often.
    Lolololololololololol you should see my bathroom sink. Definitely not. The cosmetics industry is actually a fascinating one, especially now with the prevalence of photoshopping in advertisements and the raised standards we live with in regardsto beauty in the west. A lot of women are constantly looking out for the next new thing that will make them feel complete. It can be a very incidious kind of addiction. Many women I know wouldnt even think about leaving the house without makeup one (Im better about this than I used to be, but still for the most part always wear something, like to the point where wearing mascara and concealer doesnt even really count to me, lol). I know women with whole entire dressers full of cosmetics.

    Women come in all the time looking for the next thing that is going to make them look younger, smoother, tanner, more symetrical, more balanced. The kinds of insecurity and hopefulness that I see make for a very vulnerable customers.

    Also, they expire quickly because they generally cultivate bacteria very easily. Mascara, for instance, is meant to be thrown away every three months, although most women dont follow this rule.

    It's pretty horrible.

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  26. #26
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    Hmmmm, usually 100x16 but for you? Mb only 10x69
    U do ping pong show?

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    White
    TIM
    FSE
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    U do ping pong show?
    Ya, dats ur fav?

  28. #28
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,897
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post


    There are people who spend much of their lives shopping...sometimes they claim to be preparing for the nuclear war or looking around for the best prices.

    But surely such people are wasting the immensely valuable commodity of time for the sake of buying things they don't really need or for saving a little bit of coin?




    Seriously, I am a bargain hunter. I signed up for those coupons by mail, email, Sunday flyers...I have probably saved thousands of $$$ with coupons, two for one.... I don't do the shopping usually so it is the least I can do for the family. My contribution. It used to be fun when I first started now I just get the stuff automatic based on preferences.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  29. #29
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    Ya, dats ur fav?
    lol, ya

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  30. #30
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    Lolololololololololol you should see my bathroom sink. Definitely not. The cosmetics industry is actually a fascinating one, especially now with the prevalence of photoshopping in advertisements and the raised standards we live with in regardsto beauty in the west. A lot of women are constantly looking out for the next new thing that will make them feel complete. It can be a very incidious kind of addiction. Many women I know wouldnt even think about leaving the house without makeup one (Im better about this than I used to be, but still for the most part always wear something, like to the point where wearing mascara and concealer doesnt even really count to me, lol). I know women with whole entire dressers full of cosmetics.

    Women come in all the time looking for the next thing that is going to make them look younger, smoother, tanner, more symetrical, more balanced. The kinds of insecurity and hopefulness that I see make for a very vulnerable customers.

    Also, they expire quickly because they generally cultivate bacteria very easily. Mascara, for instance, is meant to be thrown away every three months, although most women dont follow this rule.

    It's pretty horrible.
    I know we live in a culture that commercializes self-improvement and conforming to beauty standards is an easy way purchase progress, new clothes, new look, new you. A better you. Honestly though? I'm far more interested in what's written on a woman's book bindings than her fully stocked beauty boutique.
    Easy Day

  31. #31
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,936
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Depends on the tasking and what the offer is.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    1,178
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    $0 - time is an abstract concept, duh!

  33. #33
    TheWholeEnglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Old MacDonald's Farm
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I know we live in a culture that commercializes self-improvement and conforming to beauty standards is an easy way purchase progress, new clothes, new look, new you. A better you. Honestly though? I'm far more interested in what's written on a woman's book bindings than her fully stocked beauty boutique.
    My book bindings hav pirates on dem???

    Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

  34. #34
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    My book bindings hav pirates on dem???
    This is grave news; mine have ninjas.
    Easy Day

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •