Thread: Criticism and functions

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Criticism and functions

I was thinking about which functions react the worse to criticism and something occurred to me.

Using IEI as an example: The creative and Polr are both Je for a Pi. These two functions are noted as vulnerable to criticism. They don't respond well to it. In fact it seems as though these are the two most likely to make someone feel like shit if critisized.

The Base and Role are Pi for a Pi, and both of those are almost immune to criticism. I have confidence beyond anyone elses opinion in my base. Its very easy to tell someone, "No, you're wrong." And the role is basically the i don't give a shit function. You can tell me how i suck here, and i might even agree. But no biggie, i know this and it was my choice.

Now with the subconscious functions i may have a few things backwords according to the theory;

The Suggestive and Ignoring are Pe for a Pi. Criticism here doesn't really hurt either, but it does make me reflect. I know my 5th function is practically a lost cause, and when i use it it comes across almost inappropriately strong. I may recognize fault with it, but its almost like a chalk it up to the game kind of scenario. Regardless, i don't feel bad when inadequacy is pointed out here. And Ignoring, well shit. Its called ignoring for a reason. Im good with it, i dont value it, and i translate it to my base in my head. No real vulnerability.

The HA and the Demonstrative are Ji for a Pi. Criticism here does have sting, but almost inverse from the way Pe works. I'm not apt to reflect here without a strong external push, but i do act negatively when challenged here. These are like the get upset and focus it outward things. HA makes the world make sense and gives you confidence in the creative, so when criticized here its hard not to have cognitive dissonance. The demonstrative is kind of wild in my interpretation, but its essentially the only thing where offended can make me want to fight people. Whether(mines Fi) its feeling wronged or someone criticizing the way you treat another person, i feel very offended and ill get visibly agitated here more than anything.

SO, with all that said the TL;DR of it all is it seems the Jx functions are the ones that can make Px types feel negatively and the Px functions critisized make Jx types feel bad.

Anybody's thoughts/opinions or Te smackdown is appreciated.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would pretty much agree with all of this.

I would add though that although criticism in my dual-seeking function doesn't feel bad I'm incredibly vulnerable to any information that comes in via this function, almost doesn't matter from whom; seems to subconsciously affect how I see myself and the world (but mine is Ne). So although it's not as overtly vulnerable as creative function or PoLR it can have subtle long term consequences on how I behave, which I find to be more pernicious b/c I'm not as aware of it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Using IEI as an example: The creative and Polr are both Je for a Pi. These two functions are noted as vulnerable to criticism. They don't respond well to it. In fact it seems as though these are the two most likely to make someone feel like shit if critisized.
    looking at this model A diagram http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...lation-Model-A it's showing that creative function is a "strong" function along with first function, where you feel confident about your opinions ("I know"). wouldn't this make creative function strong against criticism, same as base function?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    looking at this model A diagram http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...lation-Model-A it's showing that creative function is a "strong" function along with first function, where you feel confident about your opinions ("I know"). wouldn't this make creative function strong against criticism, same as base function?
    I think it may have something to do with being an Accepting function rather than strength. Though i think the unconscious functions might work backwards from that. Hidden Agenda and Demonstrative are producing and not accepting right?
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.