9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What it would be like for a man living in a woman's world

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty well-done, but isn't some of it over the top? like the part where his wife comes back from the meeting and doesn't give a shit that he was raped, which seems heartless and cruel on another level. are attitudes that different in france?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they took the most salient issues and condensed them all into a ten minute movie. if it seems excessive it's because it is so saturated. i doubt most women experience such high levels of sexism in their lives on continuous basis. rape victims do encounter dismissive and hushing down responses of their ordeal, but i have no idea how often this happens.

i was hoping that some women would comment on the content of this video and how closely it matches their experiences.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

All I got from this video is French police are crude, insensitive and generally suck at investigating reports of rape and sexual assault.

Clearly they need to watch more Law & Order: SVU.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i didnt watch it the first time i clicked the thread cuz i had this notion that it would be cliche and nothing unexpected for some reason. but i ended up relating to the guy so much for the first half or so that i was laughing a little, maybe partly because of the absurdity (the topless women), but mostly out of recognition and commiseration.

the part with the guy who shaved his beard made me a little uncomfortable because i took it to be an analogy about muslim women and what they wear and its presumptuous to me to impose a western view but that could be because personally i'm not extremely knowledgeable about other cultures.

i noticed that the protagonist was pretty outspoken and what would probably be considered a masculinist, and that made me wonder why the filmmakers chose to portray him that way and what affect that had on the plot via the other characters responses to him etc. i think it would make him more sympathetic to people who think that if women are too passive they have it coming or something (i tried to imagine watching it through the eyes of anti-feminist people i know). but i know in similar situations with catcallers i avoid exacerbating things by not getting into heated dialogue with them (though i'm not opposed to reactions like his since they are justified and emotionally honest).

but thats why the end part with his woman kind of bugged me. well now that i'm writing this out i feel silly because i consider myself a feminist and i have been with men who were, well, assholes. but when i was watching i felt like it was unrealistic because he was so strong against those strangers but had a woman like that in his life. i don't think her reaction was typical of men in my environment. only the assholes. just like the catcallers arent typical of all men (though it can seem that way cuz they are the ones who stand out while the other normal cool ones are minding their own business and you don't notice them).

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I really don't like these role reversal movies, they always feel too campy and over the top yeah. Well of course normally I love campy but not like this.

It rings truer just to show what groups of people have to deal with each day naturally or something. Also men get raped by women too, but it's usually done with more emotional cruelty and manipulation, not outright force. (I was molested by a woman when I was 11 years old.) I don't really need to know what it's like to be raped to have empathy for rape victims though, that's stupid to think that men can't have compassion for somebody unless they went through it themselves, obviously it should gross out our natural human sensibilities if anybody gets overpowered against their will.

The more older I get, the more I dislike one group obviously being the innocent victim 'oppressed' , because as much as I am a feminist, I have met the most heartless & abusive women in my life - were just as bad as the men who bullied me were. Also that cop was a cunt for dismissing his rape, but I thought it was kinda nice and flirty/natural for him to treat that assistant the way he did idk. He did look nice in those jeans lmao. Catcallers are annoying but a man saying a girl looks nice in jeans and the woman filing for sexual harrassment or something seems so silly.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyhow... there's a risk of going too far when drawing direct analogies between the different genders' reactions to stressful events.

in studies, women report very high levels of distress when concerning sexual harassment, ranking it in the top category of the worst forms of abuse.

men report only mild discomfort with sexually aggressive women. some even find it to be a turn on.

men are more likely to underestimate the negative impact of sexual aggression on women.

women are more likely to overestimate the negative impact of sexual aggression on men.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think equality based on altering gender social norms is a bit meaningless and fraught with very deeply ingrained cultural/physical differences, let's focus on basics which can be measured like wage equity.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think equality based on altering gender social norms is a bit meaningless and fraught with very deeply ingrained cultural/physical differences, let's focus on basics which can be measured like wage equity.
    I don't see your point. Gender norms and sexism stifle human potential, creativity and happiness. How deeply ingrained something is isn't a indicator of it being beneficial or harmless.