Thread: Psychology of cat owners vs dog owners

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Psychology of cat owners vs dog owners

in short, cat owners are the neurotic depressive visionary types, while dog owners are the golden standard of society

(complete article http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...and-cat-owners )

There are sound reasons to suspect that the preference for dogs or cats reflects some underlying human personality differences. Certainly the relationship between cats and humans has always been quite different than the relationship between dogs and people. This reflects the behaviors that both species have kept from their heritage prior to domestication. In the wild, cats are usually solitary hunters and often are active mostly at night. In contrast, wild canines are usually sociable pack animals that work in groups and are active between dawn and dusk. Our domestic dogs retain this need for social interaction to the degree that without a master and a family, a dog seems unhappy--almost lost. Dogs will intrude on a person's ongoing activities if they are feeling lonely and want some company or play. Cats, on the other hand, are often invisible during the day, seeming only to appear in the evening, especially if that is when they are fed. Cats will occasionally engage in social activities or play with people, but their interest is limited. Usually, after only a few minutes, cats will abandon the game and wander away. Dogs on the other hand, will often engage in play, like fetching a thrown ball, for hours at a time, and it is usually the human that quits the game first.

Recently, Sam Gosling, a psychologist at the University of Texas in Austin and his graduate student Carson Sandy conducted a web-based study in which 4,565 individuals were asked whether they were dog people, cat people, neither or both. The same group was given a 44-item assessment that measured them on the so-called Big Five personality dimensions psychologists often use to study personalities.

Gosling summarized his results saying, "There is a widely held cultural belief that the pet species -- dog or cat -- with which a person has the strongest affinity says something about the individual's personality, and this research suggests there are significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people."

Just on the basis of the nature of dogs being more sociable than cats, one might expect that the personalities of dog lovers would also reflect higher sociability. The results showed that dog people were generally about 15 percent more extroverted and 13 percent more agreeable, both of which dimensions are associated with social orientation. In addition dog people were 11 percent more conscientious than cat people. Conscientiousness involves is a tendency to show self-discipline, to complete tasks and aim for achievement. The trait shows a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior.

In comparison cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic, however they were also 11 percent more open than dog people. The openness trait involves a general appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. People high on openness are more likely to hold unconventional beliefs while people with low scores on openness (dog people) tend to have more conventional, traditional interests.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

be cautious of people who only like dogs and not cats. they just want something loyal and obedient and can't deal with the independence of a cat.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hahahaha. Lungs and the myth of obedient dogs and independent cats. Well, myths are myths.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

hahah watch dog whisperer...some of those dogs will not obey until the magic man gets a hold of them. My cats were independent but I had one who would follow commands. It used to amaze people. It would walk me to school and when I got out it would be there waiting to walk me home. I miss that cat. I used to be strictly a cat lover until a special little dog stole my heart and now I love both. I don't want anymore pets though. My lifestyle is not conducive to pet owning. I do want a Yorkie but I am not that selfish. My other dog is with my sister now. My last cat was given away by my roommate a couple years ago while I was away for a few days. I was really upset.

When I really think about it though my main reason for no longer wanting a pet is that, all animals die and when they do it hurts and I can't go through that again. Better not to get attached.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, cats sleep up to 20 hours a day, so no wonder they're "invisible", and the cats I have had the pleasure with were pretty into playing and secret petting addicts. Key is to play with them for own and owner's good, anyway. Until they get tired, what results in no more waking up at night and having your cat on your face.

As for dogs? My second one wasn't really the epitome of obedience. Some kind of cross-breed, so...