EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Why are you people so Negative?

You distillations of inessentia you!

Negativity bias

Researchers found that the negativity bias is noticeable during the work day. Amabile studied professionals and looked at what made their day good or bad. The findings showed that when professionals made even the slightest step forward on a project, their day was good; however, a minor setback resulted in a bad day. Furthermore, Amabile found that the negative setbacks were more than twice as strong as the positive steps forward when relating to the individual’s happiness that day.
    Researchers examined the negativity bias with respect to reward and punishment. The findings conclude that faster learning develops from negative reinforcement rather than positive reinforcement.
    Researchers analyzed language to study the negativity bias. There are more emotional words in the human dictionary that are negative. One study in particular found that 62% of the emotional words were negative and 32% were positive. Seventy-four percent of the total words in the English language describing personality traits are negative.
    Researchers studied facial expressions in order to study the negativity bias. Participants’ facial expressions were monitored as they were exposed to pleasant, neutral, and unpleasant odors. The results show that the participant’s negative reactions to unpleasant odors were stronger than the positive reactions to the pleasant odors. Researchers also tested negativity bias with children as the participants with respect to facial expressions. Children perceived both negative and neutral facial expressions as negative.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Half full/Half empty

I am wondering where that plane is...

Please let it be aliens.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Emos everywhere, hide the Radiohead albums!

I'm gonna blame the winter on this one for now. I got sick of wearing a coat, so I just go outside with a shirt, a layer of Under Armour Base 4.0, and a thin sweater up top in that order. As long as I'm not on bike, that'll work no matter how cold it gets where I'm at, and it goes well below freezing; unrelentingly below 20°F and under -10°C for weeks and weeks. It doesn't feel as much like winter if I don't have that coat on; even though I look good in the coat, everything feels too closed off or something. Spring is coming! I'm gonna split my pizza dough ball in half in a few minutes, and let it rise for 45 minutes after that. I'll have two pizza crusts, and consequentially, two pizzas on the way. om nom nom

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want literature that instead argues the more common human bias is towards optimism there's plenty to suit your fancy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I tend to soak in my environment.