Thread: Tove Jansson (creator of The Moomins)

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Tove Jansson (creator of The Moomins)

I think the Moomins is highly saturated in Delta-values, with Snufkin being a very good representative of a IEE, as little as he appears.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, i think Ne-IEE is possible/likely. Moomin looks pretty delta.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Agarina will be here after a week. Don't ask.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys can only type Snufkin IEE if you also type me SLI. It's the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    You guys can only type Snufkin IEE if you also type me SLI. It's the rules.
    Second time today, go back to studying.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    EII-Fi 1w9 sp/so
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I watched a documentary on Tove Jansson not long ago. I have a faint impression of SEI... I briefly considered IEE & EII also.

“Jansson was an artist and a businesswoman, an idealist and a pragmatist. She initially proposed to a man before making her life with a woman. She felt trapped by the success of the Moomin stories at times, but was too practical to walk away from it. She was able to take whatever strangeness she found in her own life and parlay it into stories, endlessly.”

“Tove Jansson is one of those writers and artists who excite strong feelings. She possessed an unusual combination of integrity and openness, an ability to make the other person feel especially chosen at the same time as keeping her secrets to herself. Her books and pictures made of her someone whom people wanted to come close to. Many readers feel a strong emotional relationship to the Moomin world; the enormous correspondence she had from readers is proof of this, and a good number of these letter writers were not happy to acknowledge the existence of other visitors to Moominvalley than themselves. An obstinate relationship with the self and individualism is an important feature in the magnetism of the Moomin stories.

Tove Jansson has been depicted as a gracile child of nature, an easily surprised painter on an island in the Gulf of Finland who was transformed in a twinkling into a writing Moominmamma, an artist who became a writer without further ambitions. She has been described as an ingenuous Moomin with no real awareness of banks, money, negotiations or business. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Such ideas are superficial romanticisations (needs to create a mythology) that have very little connection with the deeply aware artist who had worked hard ever since the age of fifteen, who had been writing stories for publication since her early teens and who herself looked after all negotiations to do with trolls and pictures till well into the 1950s. She was already pondering Moomin marketing possibilities in her letters in around 1950, despite having published only two of the books.

The best known and most frequently quoted of the few things she wrote about her own profession is her shrewd essay from 1961, ‘The Deceitful Writer of Children’s Books’. In it she discusses the motive force of writing and presents a portrait of herself that is as far from an innocent Moomin or a cosy Moominmamma as it is possible to get. Hidden behind her books is a self-centred author who writes children’s books as a way of coping with childishness in herself, certainly not to please children. A dangerous writer. A childishness unsuitable for the grown-up world, a writer looking for something that existed in the past, something she wants to create again. In the words of the deceitful author, she wants to describe and experience ‘something lost or unattainable’. The search for this is connected to the arcane secrecy of the Moomin books. It gives form to a certain longing that exists in all of us. It can relate to our attempts to break away from roles or expectations, and to our dreams of becoming someone else or disappearing into some other existence. Escapism, which has raised so many questions and socially committed misgivings about the Moomin books, is a part of our narrative about ourselves. But the truly deceitful writer is not content just to tell us a story about a family of Moomins in a valley. She writes relentlessly on, crushes the dreams, empties the valley and sends the family and herself away towards new realities and awakenings of various kinds. In the same way she steers her writing and her painting towards new forms of expression. After the Moomin books – there were eventually to be nine in all – the many Moomin comic strips and the three picture books, Tove wrote novels and collections of stories between 1971 and 1998, and for a time in the 1960s went in for abstract painting. By then the years of being a humble student of painting were over and she was working towards new ideas.”
    — Boel Westin, Tove Jansson: Life, Art, Words: The Authorized Biography

“Tove's life was fascinating. She challenged conventional ways of thinking and moral rules in a country where old prejudices, especially on the subject of sexual behaviour, maintained a strict hold... She influenced the values and attitudes of her time, but was no flag-bearer – instead, she was a quiet person who remained uncompromising in her own life choices.”
    — Tuula Karjalainen, Tove Jansson: Work and Love

Letters from Tove Jansson

Artist and author Tove Jansson (1914–2001) is known abroad for her Moomin books for children and fiction for adults. A large selection of her letters – to family, friends and lovers – was published for the first time in September. In these extracts she writes to her best friend Eva Konikoff who moved to the US in 1941, to her lover, Atos Wirtanen, journalist and politician, and to her life companion of 45 years, artist Tuulikki Pietilä.
    Last edited by myshkin; 02-02-2017 at 12:41 AM.

TIM
    EII-Fi 1w9 sp/so
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Moominland Tales: The Life of Tove Jansson

(I was impressed with this documentary! )

Word Definition Warrior – WDW Troll Nr 007's Avatar
    TIM
    H-ILE-Ne 7w6-2w1-1w9
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moomins are rather Ne-Si centric:
    It's probably delta.
    Alphas are described as bit brash verbally (once there was such ILE astronomer).

Most are Moomins Si-Ne

Beta:
    Police man LSI, SLE Stinky bad guy, IEI and EIE witches

It also makes fun of gammas:
    Grumpy ILI philosopher who lives under the bridge
    Uptight gamma SF Fillyjonk is seen as having character flaw.

I think Snufkin is potentially LII. Characterized as having anarchist attitude while being in deep thought.

Quite hilarious.
    Last edited by Troll Nr 007; 02-13-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Enneagram 3 blindspot. Visual deficits in 4, 8. Triple instinctual blindspot.

Highly immature Discord channel
    because enneagram is just too simple and therefore we need to develop a new classification system called Rhombic triacontahedron with life module containing eukaryotes, prokaryotes and virus.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think EII