Thread: Chomsky explains the cold war in 5 minutes

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chomsky explains the cold war in 5 minutes

Been reading some Marxism (not that Chomsky's one!); Hobsbawm has the same views.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post

Been reading some Marxism (not that Chomsky's one!); Hobsbawm has the same views.
    heh. marxism is like ben franklin's mug...looks good on paper, but nowhere else.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    heh. marxism is like ben franklin's mug...looks good on paper, but nowhere else.
    I read anything I can get my hands on. But I'mma give it to 'em at least this once.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a tendency for people to gloss over the history of the Soviet Union as one economic system whereas in reality it went through many transitory stages. This is a very concise, easy to read exposition that goes over some of the economic changes that took place after Stalin's death. This is a more detailed account.

I've studied Marxism for about 7 years, so just let me know if you need any more recommendations or clarifications to compliment your reading.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Villain View Post
    There's a tendency for people to gloss over the history of the Soviet Union as one economic system whereas in reality it went through many transitory stages. This is a very concise, easy to read exposition that goes over some of the economic changes that took place after Stalin's death. This is a more detailed account.

I've studied Marxism for about 7 years, so just let me know if you need any more recommendations or clarifications to compliment your reading.
    Thank you! Looks like I'm in for a crazy next few months.

I also have books from Samir Amin and and Ernest Mandel on my bookshelf. But I should probably read Das Kapital first, if anything. Too bad I don't have as much time as I'd like to devote myself to this stuff. Gotta slave away for my capitalist masters.

Say, what do you think of left-wing liberalism, which advocates a capitalist economy mixed with social programs for the poor? Do you see it as creating an unstable social contract that glosses over a fundamentally flawed market system?

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Say, what do you think of left-wing liberalism, which advocates a capitalist economy mixed with social programs for the poor?
    It ain't capitalism unless them programs are voluntaristic, opt-in, opt-out. Otherwise you'd be advocating for government coercion: contribute to these social programs or else.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you! Looks like I'm in for a crazy next few months.

I also have books from Samir Amin and and Ernest Mandel on my bookshelf. But I should probably read Das Kapital first, if anything. Too bad I don't have as much time as I'd like to devote myself to this stuff. Gotta slave away for my capitalist masters.

Say, what do you think of left-wing liberalism, which advocates a capitalist economy mixed with social programs for the poor? Do you see it as creating an unstable social contract that glosses over a fundamentally flawed market system?
    The first three chapters of Capital are hard to get through, but it's worth. If you do decide to tackle it, I suggest picking up David Harvey's "A Companion To Marx's Capital". If reading a book while reading a book isn't your thing, you can find video lectures of the book here.

Concerning "Left-wing" liberalism;
    Unlike the anarchists, the Marxists recognize struggle for reforms, i.e., for measures that improve the conditions of the working people without destroying the power of the ruling class. At the same time, however, the Marxists wage a most resolute struggle against the reformists, who, directly or indirectly, restrict the aims and activities of the working class to the winning of reforms. Reformism is bourgeois deception of the workers, who, despite individual improvements, will always remain wage-slaves, as long as there is the domination of capital.

The liberal bourgeoisie grant reforms with one hand, and with the other always take them back, reduce them to naught, use them to enslave the workers, to divide them into separate groups and perpetuate wage-slavery. For that reason reformism, even when quite sincere, in practice becomes a weapon by means of which the bourgeoisie corrupt and weaken the workers. The experience of all countries shows that the workers who put their trust in the reformists are always fooled.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Chomp-ski is an idiot. Next.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Villain View Post
    The first three chapters of Capital are hard to get through, but it's worth. If you do decide to tackle it, I suggest picking up David Harvey's "A Companion To Marx's Capital". If reading a book while reading a book isn't your thing, you can find video lectures of the book here.
    I'll look into it.