0 Thread(s)

Default Andrew Carnegie

Last edited by silke; 06-11-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: updated links

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hypothesized SLE before. Ti subtype.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very uninformed typing is ESFp, only by a shot read of the biography.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think LSE is a possibility.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always considered him most likely LIE, but I haven't given his type much consideration, and most of what I know about him is through Napoleon Hill.

The most popular photos are of him as a chubby old man, and I would tend to think they make him look more genial than he generally did.

Here's a photo of him when he was young:

Another less genial photo:

A side view:

SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew Carnegie quotes:

Aim for the highest.

All honor's wounds are self-inflicted.

And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.

Concentrate your energies, your thoughts and your capital. The wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket.

Concentrate; put all your eggs in one basket, and watch that basket.

Concentration is my motto - first honesty, then industry, then concentration.

Do not look for approval except for the consciousness of doing your best.

Do your duty and a little more and the future will take care of itself.

Every act you have ever performed since the day you were born was performed because you wanted something.

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave.

I resolved to stop accumulating and begin the infinitely more serious and difficult task of wise distribution.

I shall argue that strong men, conversely, know when to compromise and that all principles can be compromised to serve a greater principle.

I would as soon leave my son a curse as the almighty dollar.

Immense power is acquired by assuring yourself in your secret reveries that you were born to control affairs.

Mr. Morgan buys his partners; I grow my own.

No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it.

No person will make a great business who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit.

People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.

Surplus wealth is a sacred trust which its possessor is bound to administer in his lifetime for the good of the community.

The 'morality of compromise' sounds contradictory. Compromise is usually a sign of weakness, or an admission of defeat. Strong men don't compromise, it is said, and principles should never be compromised.

The average person puts only 25% of his energy and ability into his work. The world takes off its hat to those who put in more than 50% of their capacity, and stands on its head for those few and far between souls who devote 100%.

The first man gets the oyster, the second man gets the shell.

The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.

The men who have succeeded are men who have chosen one line and stuck to it.

The way to become rich is to put all your eggs in one basket and then watch that basket.

There is little success where there is little laughter.

There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else.

Think of yourself as on the threshold of unparalleled success. A whole, clear, glorious life lies before you. Achieve! Achieve!

Whatever I engage in, I must push inordinately.

You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb.

You must capture and keep the heart of the original and supremely able man before his brain can do its best.

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he be willing to climb himself.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lse.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find his quotes horrible and useless.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You disagree with their content on a visceral level (their horribleness) or unreflective of his view of the world (useless for typing purposes) or perhaps the poster of the quotes colors your perception?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    You disagree with their content on a visceral level (their horribleness) or unreflective of his view of the world (useless for typing purposes) or perhaps the poster of the quotes colors your perception?
    Ahah, I don't know about the thir, it's a possibility but not under my conscious scrutiny.

I both dislike them on a visceral level, and also dislike the conception of the world that stems from them (or that, eventually, originates them perhaps - depends if the person takes them as guiding principles or as observations of his own life). Generally, I don't see why a person should dedicate his life to "achieving" and "being always productive" as a conscious aim. This is not to say it's something that can't happen, just that they seem to place excessive emphasis on that point, IMHO.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's reasonable. We all navigate by our own compasses. I do think that what you've picked out from them might itself be telling however. A useful insight to be sure.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's reasonable. We all navigate by our own compasses. I do think that what you've picked out from them might itself be telling however. A useful insight to be sure.
    What do you mean?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What do you mean?
    I'm assuming you're asking about the insight?

I was refering to your observations of his ardent desire to achieve and produce results as the conscious work of his life. While not in itself indicative of his type, what we choose to direct our energies towards effectively is, and I think you hit upon a motivation of his (though it would seem rather foreign to your own view of the world). Is that helpful at all?

In socionics terms, I think this is an argument for ego Te of some type (maybe more so leading than creative, given the naturalness and pervasiveness of it all). I would think that given his biography this would narrow it down somewhat, perhaps to ExTj.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming you're asking about the insight?

I was refering to your observations of his ardent desire to achieve and produce results as the conscious work of his life. While not in itself indicative of his type, what we choose to direct our energies towards effectively is, and I think you hit upon a motivation of his (though it would seem rather foreign to your own view of the world). Is that helpful at all?

In socionics terms, I think this is an argument for ego Te of some type (maybe more so leading than creative, given the naturalness and pervasiveness of it all). I would think that given his biography this would narrow it down somewhat, perhaps to ExTj.
    Oh yes, yes I agree.

I wouldn't even say I find it foreign, but more like, I find the paths towards it to be different from his. Anyway, to each his own, and he seems to have gone a long way following his own guidelines, so kudos to him

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has that typical ESE Cosby face.

However, I think EXTj would make much more sense.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    gah, i should have thought to post at least that. good way to present a quick cross-section of someone. (cross-section being the key word. i'm particularly interested in this typing so i didn't want to lead anyone with my own selective summary.)

Logos, could you ellaborate on why a judicious quadra?
    What do you mean by judicious quadra?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a very difficult time seeing him as having a Ni PoLR.
    SEE

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems ESTj from an impression of his short biographies.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I have a very difficult time seeing him as having a Ni PoLR.
    Your shortcomings do not necessarily change the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    sorry, Reinin jargon. why Si/Ne-valuing?
    He reminds me of a Thomas Edison of the business world. He seems to have a very "hands on" approach and his quotes generally reflect an interest in the human potential () for the greatest productivity (), and seemed to show a much greater concern for . He also seemed to have strong and ambition, but in an undervalued sense that instead focused more along the lines of self-improvement for himself and aiding in the self-improvement of others.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a definite focus on underlying/far reaching cause and effect relationships in his quotes. I'm certainly not seeing anything that would suggest a focus on immediate/physical cause and effect relationships > underlying/far reaching cause and effect relationships.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I see in these quotes:

Aim for the highest. EJ

All honor's wounds are self-inflicted. Te/Fi > Ti/Fe, Democracy (see thread about "honor")

And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department. Te, Ni

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do. Te

Concentrate your energies, your thoughts and your capital. The wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket.
    Rationality, Ni > Si (can you seriously see someone with a Ni PoLR saying this???)

Concentration is my motto - first honesty, then industry, then concentration.
    Fi/Ti, Te, rationality

Do not look for approval except for the consciousness of doing your best. Te/Fi > Ti/Fe, democracy, rationality

Do your duty and a little more and the future will take care of itself. Ni (depends on what is meant by "do your duty" though of course)

Every act you have ever performed since the day you were born was performed because you wanted something. Ni

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave.
    intelligence
    I resolved to stop accumulating and begin the infinitely more serious and difficult task of wise distribution. Ni > Si in the way he did it... he told Napoleon Hill that he'd find ways to give it all away "without doing any damage", showing concern for the long term or underlying cause and effect relationships involved

I shall argue that strong men, conversely, know when to compromise and that all principles can be compromised to serve a greater principle. not sure, probably related to Ti or Fi

I would as soon leave my son a curse as the almighty dollar. Ni > Si (this may seem like a Ne > Se thing to say, but my reasons that the quote before last is Ni > Si applies here as well

Immense power is acquired by assuring yourself in your secret reveries that you were born to control affairs. Se hidden agenda

Mr. Morgan buys his partners; I grow my own. depends on his reasons and methods

No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it. and No person will make a great business who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit. an LSE may not care about getting credit, but he would want to do it all himself

People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.
    Ni > Si (because LSE's strive to be as normal as possible)

Surplus wealth is a sacred trust which its possessor is bound to administer in his lifetime for the good of the community. could be a lot of things, but I can see an argument for Delta

The 'morality of compromise' sounds contradictory. Compromise is usually a sign of weakness, or an admission of defeat. Strong men don't compromise, it is said, and principles should never be compromised.
    Fi, possibly unvalued Ne

The average person puts only 25% of his energy and ability into his work. The world takes off its hat to those who put in more than 50% of their capacity, and stands on its head for those few and far between souls who devote 100%.
    EJ, Te

The first man gets the oyster, the second man gets the shell.
    Ni or Si, depending on whether he's literally talking about an oyster or not

The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled. intelligence, wisdom, possibly Ni

The men who have succeeded are men who have chosen one line and stuck to it. rationality, possible unvalued Ni, depending on the context

There is little success where there is little laughter. could be Si or Ni (one could argue that Ni is more likely to see that connection)

There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else.
    human

Think of yourself as on the threshold of unparalleled success. A whole, clear, glorious life lies before you. Achieve! Achieve!
    EJ

Whatever I engage in, I must push inordinately.
    EJ

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb. definitely Ni > Si (can you seriously see someone with a dual with a Se PoLR saying this???) a Si type's inclination would be to carry the person up the ladder

You must capture and keep the heart of the original and supremely able man before his brain can do its best.
    Ni > Si, could be (such as Fi or Fe) other things depending on the context
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not worth my effort or best interests to argue, so I will concede.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb. definitely Ni > Si (can you seriously see someone with a dual with a Se PoLR saying this???) a Si type's inclination would be to carry the person up the ladder
    It's actually Si>Ni. It's the Ni person who needs to be pushed up the ladder in spite of his unwillingness to do so.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    It's actually Si>Ni. It's the Ni person who needs to be pushed up the ladder in spite of his unwillingness to do so.
    I suppose I should have said Ni/Se > Si/Ne. Regardless, that is not the attitude of the dual of someone with a Se PoLR.

And since when is refusal to be proactive a trait of LIE's and EIE's?
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose I should have said Ni/Se > Si/Ne. Regardless, that is not the attitude of the dual of someone with a Se PoLR.

And since when is refusal to be proactive a trait of LIE's and EIE's?
    Are you certain?
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely certain? No. I don't think such a thing is possible. However, according to my understanding of the quote and my understanding of Socionics, it's extremely unlikely that Andrew Carnegie was LSE (or any other Si/Ne type).
    SEE

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Andrew Carnegie

I was thinking maybe dominant, possibly even LSE

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Aristocratic ST no doubt. I could see SLE-Se so/sp.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

After I made my previous post (which I think has been merged into this thread), I saw at least one MBTI website had typed him ESFJ

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Reading my old posts makes my head hurt.
    SEE