Thread: What do you call young maidens?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thumbs up What do you call young maidens?

I've become slowly aware that to call this group of people girls is potentially creepy and patronising...and to call them women is potentially patronising and creepy. I can tell you that is wasn't a pleasant experience being called a chauvinist when referring to "my women".

It seems to me also that to refer to this particular ilk as maidens is possibly old-fashioned...and in some cases it turns out, even factual inaccurate! The only time I recall such a term not being registered with a strong level of puzzlement was when I was dressed as a pirate, where it was merely clocked with laughter.

This has been a wakeful dilemma for me...I hope that you can provide me with satisfaction!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

damsels. bitches love being called damsels.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Laughing View Post
    I can tell you that is wasn't a pleasant experience being called a chauvinist when referring to "my women".
    At least they didn't call you racist.

I usually start with: "hey you dumb people over there."

That reminds me. I one had a some people I know at my place, not particularly fond of them all and my cell phone rang, it was my best friend inquiring whether I want to go and get a drink, so I said: "In about 10 minutes, for I have these wankers here" in front of them.

There was a flash in the back of my head that I shouldn't say that, but whoops.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dames - remember they are not damsels - dames - so what are they? They are mature married women who are still hot. It is the 1940's term for MILF.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I find that MILFs is generally an acceptable term for ladies of a certain age

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I go with girls, more fun and adorable than "women" and comes with less implicit responsibilities and expectations weighed on the person at the receiving end of the term. The "my" part is most likely what messed things up there, people don't need to be seen as other peoples' property. And as always, if someone tries hard enough to get pissed off at something, they'll be successful, so don't let the crazy drama get to you too much...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I personally despise both terms and I don't think I'd be good at utilising them

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do you know them all by name? If so, you can address them one-by-one by name if you want (also would familiarize yourself with anyone you don't know yet, and vice-versa, just ask anyone you don't know what their name is); also, you can gesture towards the group itself and give them a "hey everybody" which also works
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh with people I know, it's not an issue...it's more an annoyance that "girl" or "woman" always seems to have certain connotations

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If somebody accuses you to be a chauvinist without a proper reason, that person can be referred to as a cunt creature. However, "my" might sound creepily possessing in the right context.

Also imagine the demeanor that goes well with "Hey, girrls..! " In my native language at least this is a typical comment for certain types of classless lecherous people. It's a lot about non-verbal language and tones.

How do people react to "lady"? Can it sound to be referring to something too old? "Young lady" will probably sound patronizing to many.

We don't have an equivalent in Finnish so it's hard but I really want to use "doll" and pretend it's the 1950s. It's a bit dangerous, but the less familiar she is, the more rewarding a success would be.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Sometimes I call my girls, bitches, but

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

girl and woman do both have certain connotations but given the limits you're bemoaning i think its unreasonable to complain about either.

i don't like "lady," it makes me think of ladies night at clubs or prissy teacups.

as for any other term..context, context, context.

i like being called "bitch" by other girls in a friendly way.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Referring to one of them as a "naughty minx" when you don't know them very well doesn't seem to be appreciated either

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunts, bitches, 'n whores.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I like being called "woman" sometimes...

"Just stop, and listen, woman!"

It makes me laugh every time.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Creepy-male

I believe the politically correct term is given as follows:

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Gals" preferably; "lasses" works too, though like "maidens" it doesn't work for older women as well,

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Mädchen". Haha! xD Has the same root as "maiden" and it has never become old-fashioned in Germany.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Do you know them all by name? If so, you can address them one-by-one by name if you want (also would familiarize yourself with anyone you don't know yet, and vice-versa, just ask anyone you don't know what their name is); also, you can gesture towards the group itself and give them a "hey everybody" which also works
    Wouldn't this be more of a problem like in contexts like "I think you're a beautiful woman" (if she's young and girlish) or "you're a nice girl" (if she's classy and or older)?

I've never had people react badly to either Meisje or Vrouw, although I consciously won't use Meisje if she's of romantic interest (so only when i'm kinda in the older brother type of roles) and will add Jonge to vrouw if she's under 40.

So basically, if you're descrbing her to herself or others use young woman rather than hot girl and you'll be fine. we also have Geil Wijf (horney bitch) which can be really funny to use in the wrong contexts, for instance to describe guys.

the analogue to "hot girl" would be "lekker ding" in dutch (tasty thing, nice thing) which has the strong objectifying (THING) connotation and is usually used by young men who are either sex starved, uneducated, rude and or funny.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In German there's also another old word "Dirne", it can be found in fairytales like red riding hood. But that's not so nice nowadays, cause it also means "prostitute". :/
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

PEOPLE GIRLS ===DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say "chicks."

unless you're a friend, then I say, "Hey lady." dunno why. it's a term of endearment coming from me.

I also call people "cunts" a lot but not as a term of endearment.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kadda1212 View Post
    In German there's also another old word "Dirne", it can be found in fairytales like red riding hood. But that's not so nice nowadays, cause it also means "prostitute". :/
    Hey, can you describe some nuances here?

For example:
    Can someone call someone like that during sex?
    Can someone still use it without meaning ill?
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

they are all "young ladies" until they hit a certain age
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html