Thread: Why do we lie? Socionics based.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do we lie? Socionics based.

Hello gang, I was wondering how our ability to lie is linked to our personality type.
    Some people lie about their health, others about fact, other about their appearance, about their values or skills.

How is it linked to fonctions use?

I think we might lie to protect our polr or our main function, maybe the creative one also since we need to use it all the time.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Deception is a skill acquired very early in our cognitive development, and is practiced by children as young as 2 years old. Everyone does it to some degree for a variety of reasons, from the benign to the Machiavellian. Academics classifies it as a higher order cognitive ability, since pulling off a plausible deception appears to demand a lot from the prefrontal cortical region of the brain. Lobotomy patients have been observed to engage in deception as well, yet without the use of their prefrontal cortex, they are unable to maintain a convincing prevarication.

In my opinion, what you're asking is outside the context of Socionics and can not be put into terms of functional preferences.

In short,

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reinin says that we do anything to protect our mobilizing function, I think there's a link to be made with this.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

one of those posts trying to rationalize people´s actions and choices through socionics

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the ability to lie is type related. However, I do think that the types of lies we tell is TR. I use to lie quit a bit as a teenager and was pretty adept at it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I believe the primary reason people lie is out of fear that the truth will either hurt them or the other person. If I tell you a lie it is usually for the latter reason.

I posted that in my introduction thread. I avoid lying and when I do, it is often a lie of omission. I get a sick feeling inside when I try to tell a direct lie.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i sort of habitually lie to get people off my back and keep them from prying into my affairs. for other reasons it's rarely worth it to me.

there is some research that indicated that people that lie a lot suffer a malus to physical strength, cognitive ability and disease resistance. the need to maintain the web of deceptions is cognitively taxing. the distraction makes you live suboptimally.

however, there is another strand of research that shows that when people lie to others AND themselves, the effect is largely nullified. as long as there is consistency and singularity among the views a person holds, s/he moves and acts unhindered. of course the effect of having self-deceptive dogmas dispelled ex-post can be rather devastating psychologically, so the tradeoff is dubious to say the least.

I think people lie when anticipating POLR attacks:

polr- lies about the sequential logic behind their actions
    polr - lies about the ethics behind their actions
    polr - lies about the timing of their actions
    polr - lies about the sensual impact of their actions
    polr- lies to avoid having to be more productive and efficient
    polr- lies to avoid having to be more emotionally expressive
    polr - lies to avoid having to be more open to alternatives
    polr - lies to avoid having to be more physically forceful

It might be more accurate to say we don't really lie about the POLR, but misconstrue information relating to it as an attack and defend ourselves through our creative.
    So an Fe polr will misconstrue requests for emotional expressiveness, and react by changing their movements (Te creative)

Also, we may lie when deprived of our suggestive:

Ti suggestive - lies to stop from losing their position in the system
    Te suggestive - lies to stop wasting resources and become more productive
    Si suggestive - lies to avoid unpleasant sensations
    Se suggestive - lies to feel more powerful and strong
    Ni suggestive - lies to discover problems in the future
    Ne suggestive - lies to change boring, routine situations
    Fi suggestive - lies to stop corruption and unethical behavior
    Fe suggestive - lies to encourage emotional expressiveness