Thread: Athletes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Athletes

Let's talk about the types of our favorite athletes. Could be interesting if there are any other sports fans here. I'll go first. Since I'm a Yankee fan, I can do most of the team:

Alex Rodrigues- ESTP
    Derek Jeter- INFP
    Randy Johnson- INTP
    Mike Mussina- INTP
    Gary Sheffield- ESTJ
    Tino Martinez- ISFP
    Jason Giambi- ENTP
    Bernie Williams- INTP
    Hideki Matsui- ISTP
    Marinao Rivera- ENTP
    Jorge Posada- ENTP
    Carl Pavano- ESTJ
    John Flahreaty- ESFP
    Kevin Brown- ESTP
    Ruben Sierra- ESFP
    Robinson Cano- ESTP
    Flash Gordon- ESTP
    Mike Stanton- ISFP

Joe Torre- ENTJ
    Joe Girardi- ESFJ

Creepy-

Alex Rodrigues VI's as an ESFP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, on Kevin Brown. First, you can tell that he is a very physical guy, in the way he hands himself, his animation on the mound, ect. Also, remember last year when he put his hand through the wall? Well the two types who ignore their futures the most in the heat of the moment are ESTPs and ESFPs, which is why they often hit things when frustrated. By the way, A-Rod did the same thing during the playoffs, when he tried to hit the ball out of the firstbasemen's glove. It happens in frustation and is not planned. Kevin Brown reminds me of an ex-Yankee pitcher... David Wells.

I know you may not think Kevin Brown is an ESTP because you are one too and may have a diffrent personality, so you don't click with him 100%. But you have to remember that people with the same type can have diffrent personalites. I'm an ENTP and I have to live with the fact that Bill Gates is also an ENTP... even if I think he is a real nerd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I can see how ESTJ works. ESTJs have a short fuse and can be tempormental. Also, when under pressure they get tunnel vison and lose sight of what they are doing (hence Brown's collapses on the mound). Although, It's still common for ESTPs to put their hand through a wall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and ISTP Muhammad Ali was never considered that smart either, although he did have his witty moments.

The talk about ESTJ/ESTP under pressure got me thinking about someone else, Ryan Leaf.

If you don't know, Ryan Leaf was considered the top quarterback before the 1998 NFL draft. People said he was the most well-developed kid, and was destinded for stardom. Unfourtunatly for the Chargers they picked him up and signed him to a big money deal. Now Leaf is considered the biggest bust in NFL history. He was a ticking time bomb and couldn't perform at that level. He was an ESTJ.

There are a few reasons why he couldn't make it in the NFL. Like I said before, ESTJs have a short fuse and also have tunnel vison when under pressure. This is obviously a bad combination, because he may not see the whole field and make the wrong move, then blow up about it. The real kicker is that when something goes wrong for an ESTJ it never goes away. Any mistake is like a nail digging deeper into their head. It can bother them for the rest of the game, or season. An ESTP, however, can throw the worst quarter of his career, then let it slide off his back and be ready to play again. (Peyton Manning is an ESTP).

The top four types to make up NFL QBs are:
    ESTP
    ISTP
    ENTP
    ESFP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Guess who lives there now?
    Who

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone else realized that alot of the best athletes are ISTPs?

Micheal Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Muhammad Ali, Shaq, Hank Aaron and Prefontaine. The list just seems to go on.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with that, although there are some very good N athletes. Joe DiMaggio was an INTP, and one of the most gifted baseball players ever. Rogers Hornsby was also an INTP (.358 lifetime batting average). Pedro's an ENTP, along with Satchel Paige. At least some of the top names in baseball were Ns.

Creepy-

http://www.braintypes.com/questionsandanswers.htm

According to the above Kevin Brown is NTP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, and they also say Randy Johnson is NTJ.

So does that mean Brown's an INTP, Johnson INTJ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    @Sportsfan How do you know their types?
    Of the Yankees? Well a few ways I guess. I see them on YES all the time. I see them talk during interviews after the game. They do T.V. specials. And for some people, like Jeter and Posada, I have seen their "Yankeeographies". These guys are definately exposed through the media.

Also, some people just look like certain types.

Mike Mussina

Rogers Hornsby

I think both of these guys are INTPs

As for Brown, i can see why i thought he was ESTP at first. Some people just develop a stong dual-seeking function, in Brown's case . That's why sometimes people can confuse a guy like Ty Cobb (ISTP) with an ENTP, he just had a stong .

Am I making sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. Sports is like a whole nother world for me. I don't even know how to play any sports. But yes, boxing and football are awesome. Something about the crushing brute force and fighting for territory that makes them really epic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    Mike Tyson and logical don't seem to go together in the same sentence.

I think he seems ESFp, but then again...
    He's ESTP. Thinking Perceivers aren't always "logical".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedro-the-Lion, do you know what type Rocky Marciano is?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the self-proclaimed idiots, the Red Sox have a lot of ENTPs:

World Series Matchups

Catcher
    (Boston) Jason Varitek - ENTP/FCIP
    (St. Louis) Mike Matheny - ENTJ/FCIL

First Base
    (Boston) Kevin Millar - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Albert Pujols - ESFP/FEAR

Second Base
    (Boston) Mark Bellhorn - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Tony Womack - ENTP/FCIR

Shortstop
    (Boston) Orlando Cabrera - ESFP/FEAR
    (St. Louis) Edgar Renteria - ESTP/FEIR

Third Base
    (Boston) Bill Mueller - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Scott Rolen - ISTP/BEIR

Left Field
    (Boston) Manny Ramirez - ESFP/FEAR
    (St. Louis) Reggie Sanders - ENFP/FCAR

Center Field
    (Boston) Johnny Damon - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Jim Edmonds - ENTP/FCIR

Right Field
    (Boston) Trot Nixon - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Larry Walker - ESFP/FEAR

Designated Hitter
    (Boston) David Ortiz - ESFP/FEAR
    (St. Louis) John Mabry - ????

Pitcher
    (Boston) Pedro Martinez - ESTP/FEIR
    (Boston) Tim Wakefield - ISFP/BEAR
    (Boston) Keith Foulke - ENTP/FCIR
    (Boston) Mike Timlin - ENTP/FCIR
    (Boston) Derek Lowe - ESTP/FEIR
    (St. Louis) Jason Marquis - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Matt Morris - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Cal Eldred - ESTJ/FEIL
    (St. Louis) Julian Tavarez - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Jeff Suppan - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Woody Williams - ENTP/FCIR

Manager
    (Boston) Terry Francona - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Tony La Russa - INTJ/BCIL

Other
    (Boston) Pokey Reese (SS) - ISTP/BEIR
    (Boston) Doug Mientkiewicz (1B) - ENTP/FCIR
    (St. Louis) Roger Cedeno (RF) - ESFP/FEAR

MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-

Default Correcting a couple mistakes

I was just browsing the message boards and noticed a lot of mistakes. I'm pretty familiar with brain types, so I'm confident all of these are accurate.
    Muhammad Ali: ESFP
    Mike Tyson: ISTP
    Pedro Martinez: ESTP
    Randy Johnson: INTJ
    Mike Mussina: INTJ
    Bernie Williams: ISFP
    Mariano Rivera: INFP

I know one post suggested Mussina as an INTP, but if you watch his body movements as a pitcher, he is very mechanical. It's also quite clear that Ali was an Extravert and that Mike Tyson is an Introvert. (Tyson often has trouble expressing himself and thinking of the right words.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky, I like those denominations :
    ESTp - FEAR
    ISFp - BEAR
    ESTj - FEIL (Norwegian for "wrong")

I think you also will find that the number of NF sportsmen (And -women) in general is abysmally low. And the number of INFjs in particular. This due to our fantastically non-existant / .
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Correcting a couple mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I was just browsing the message boards and noticed a lot of mistakes. I'm pretty familiar with brain types, so I'm confident all of these are accurate.
    Muhammad Ali: ESFP
    Mike Tyson: ISTP
    Pedro Martinez: ESTP
    Randy Johnson: INTJ
    Mike Mussina: INTJ
    Bernie Williams: ISFP
    Mariano Rivera: INFP

I know one post suggested Mussina as an INTP, but if you watch his body movements as a pitcher, he is very mechanical. It's also quite clear that Ali was an Extravert and that Mike Tyson is an Introvert. (Tyson often has trouble expressing himself and thinking of the right words.)
    Hey there, Mr. Anonymous BrainType, expert, who are you? Stay!

Are these your own thoughts, or were they found in one of Niednagel's books or something?

There are really three people I'd like to discuss here: Bernie, Mariano, and Mussina.

I actually think that Bernie is a BCAR. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Bernie being an EA type. I'll watch him closely now, though, just to be sure.

Mariano, I think, is BEIR. He seems to have more of the tight, compact mechanics of a Pedro.

As for Mussina, well.. he's just a BCIR! Randy Johnson is the BCIL. Mussina may look more "disjointed", but a lot of BCIR types are like that. He's more hollistic than Johnson, IMO.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

It seems as though as rubbed Rocky the wrong way, so I apologize. Yes, I got this information from Niednagel's book, Your Key to Sports Success and from his website. I can, however, still back up his assessments of these brain types.

It's quite obvious Bernie utilizes his big muscles during his motor movements, which is the biggest characteristic of all EA types. And with his right handed swing, his front shoulder flies open which is a characteristic of BEAR types. Mark McGwire was another BEAR who swung this way.

On the other hand, BCAR's are gifted in their fine motor movements. Note Derek Jeter's swing - how his hands are so fluid. The barrell of the bat follows his hands through the zone, allowing for an inside-out stroke.

I agree that Mariano Rivera could be a BEIR because he is so similar to Pedro. They both create tons of whip which allows them to throw the ball in the low to mid 90s even though neither is big or strong. I think the difference is how after Pedro throws, he kicks his leg over, getting his whole body into it. Mariano's movements are much more under control.

I was unaware that many BCIR's appear dijointed in their movements. There are only a few BCIR athletes out there, so my knowledge of them is limited. That is an interesting bit of information. At least we both agree with the BCI part of his type. He graduated from Standford in 3 years, so there is no denying his intellect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as though as rubbed Rocky the wrong way, so I apologize.
    Huh? I actually wasn't being sarcastic, really. I was just kind of excited to hear from someone who understood BrainTypes.

As for Mussina, I'm pretty sure he is a right-brianed typed (BCIR). He played football, basketball, and baseball in highschool, for one thing. He seems more athletic than someone like Johnson. Even Niednagel says that the CIs are more "disjointed" than the other groups (most of the time, anyways). Plus, he's also an introvert, and introverts have a tendency to think about their mechanics, what their actually doing with their body, etc..., when they "introspect" too much. I guess this could make them look more "mechanical" if they're thinking too much. I sometimes had problems thinking about my what my own body was doing when I wasn't hitting well or something (I'm BEIR), and I realized that only makes things seem worse and my swing less smooth. And like I said before, his movements do seem more hollistic than someone like Johnson, to me.

And, hey, just for fun, how about the new guys. Can we agree that Cano is FEIR, and Wang BEIR? I also think that Aaron Small is the BCAR, not, Mariano. As for Al Leiter, FCAL maybe?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

Alright well thats a relief that you weren't being sarcastic. Sorry for accusing you in the first place...my bad.

I now agree with you about Mussina. I looked for more info that would suggest he's an L but most of the evidence leaned toward the other side. The fact that he was that great of an athlete in high school is probably the best sign that he isn't a BCIL. Plus, i was very intrigued at how much he looks like Rogers Hornsby.

I agree with you on your other picks. Lucky for Cano that he is FEIR. Only a select few brain types would be able to withstand that sort of pressure at such a young age. I looked at some of Wang's pictures and I agree that he is a BEIR. He has that sort of "eagle eye" look when he is extremely focused. I'm not sure about Small because I haven't really seem him pitch at all. I'll look into it. I agree that Leiter is an FCAL, although its hard to believe. ENFJ is a rare type for pitchers. I just listened to an interview of him and his dominant Extraverted Feeling function was very evident. He was very compassionate and grateful of everything around him. His voice was monotone and had little fluctuations. I also noticed how generous he is to charities - almost ridiculously generous. He's definitely one of the good guys in sports.

Once again sorry for thinking you were being sarcastic. It's fun to discuss this with people who know what they're talking about , rather than my idiot roommates.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: Bernie Williams. You're right, he's BEAR, not BCAR.

BTW, what's your type?

Oh yeah, and Hornsby reminds me a lot of my INTP Dad. Such an odd bunch (I bet you're an INTP now, right? sorry...)
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

Well I would like to say I'm INTP because it would make me much more intellectual, but unfortunately I am a Feeler. My Feeling function was no more noticeable than when I read your earlier post and immediately thought you were being sarcastic. That darn dominant Feeling function always finds a way to make me look foolish. Nice guess, but my type is INFP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT/ I was being stupid here.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Gawd, he's an idiot, and this is coming from an ESTp.
    There's no such thing as an INFp idiot though.