Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46

Thread: Need advice on looking good

  1. #1
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Need advice on looking good

    I never know what clothes to buy or what's supposed to match.

    Every time I pick out a shirt, the next second I start questioning the choice. I find it hard to believe that nothing out there matches; stuff that other people wear usually looks good.

    I normally go for plain, grayish clothes + jeans because it's the conservative choice, but even then I'm never sure if it looks good.

    The workers at the stores are no help at all because they're usually gay ENFjs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and try to get me to buy really avant-garde stuff that's unnecessarily ornate (i.e. pushing the bounds of abstract fashion) or designed to create impact in an openly sexual way, which I'm not really comfortable with.

    Plus, I want my own style. I don't want to be given an exact recipe cooked up by someone else. So.. what are the general principles to picking out clothing that matches?
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  2. #2
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What sort of stuff do you like to wear? I mean so long as you feel fine wearing it go ahead.
    Easy Day

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Need advice on looking good
    No thanks, I'm good.

    Anyhow, wear quality stuff, it is usually comfortable and pretty functional.

  4. #4
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    What sort of stuff do you like to wear? I mean so long as you feel fine wearing it go ahead.
    Just things that blend well with each other in an organic way, and without going into any extremes -- i.e. no suits or anything like that. No pieces deliberately chosen to create as much contrast between them as possible, or to make a huge splash on the scene, etc.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  5. #5
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    booty shorts and knee high socks.

    also...

    rollerskates.

  6. #6
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgoat View Post
    booty shorts and knee high socks.

    also...

    rollerskates.
    No.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  7. #7
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    i tried.

  8. #8
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    labcoat, I know you've looked into this.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  9. #9
    Olduvai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,346
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I never know what clothes to buy or what's supposed to match.

    Every time I pick out a shirt, the next second I start questioning the choice. I find it hard to believe that nothing out there matches; stuff that other people wear usually looks good.

    I normally go for plain, grayish clothes + jeans because it's the conservative choice, but even then I'm never sure if it looks good.

    The workers at the stores are no help at all because they're usually gay ENFjs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and try to get me to buy really avant-garde stuff that's unnecessarily ornate (i.e. pushing the bounds of abstract fashion) or designed to create impact in an openly sexual way, which I'm not really comfortable with.

    Plus, I want my own style. I don't want to be given an exact recipe cooked up by someone else. So.. what are the general principles to picking out clothing that matches?
    "Se" = "Explicit Object Statics"
    "the color of clothing" = "Explicit Object Statics"

    Sounds like you have weak Se. I'm thinking you're either an LII with Se-PoLR or an EIE with Se-DS.

    Whatever the case, try googling "fashion color wheel".

  10. #10
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you want your clothes to say about you?

  11. #11
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    What do you want your clothes to say about you?
    nothing; clothes don't make the man.

    but they should at least look aesthetically pleasing.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  12. #12
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In terms of casual wear, how clothes fit your body is generally more important than "matching." The reason being is that you're going to be dealing with some basic staples of the male wardrobe that you can mix and match quite easily. In some cases (like the OCBD), they only come in a few basic colors. In others, so long as the clothes fit, you can get away with some pretty crazy color combinations.

    The Five Basic Casual Shirts
    • T-shirt -- The most basic and ubiquitous, they come in every color under the sun, but I'd avoid any shirts with graphics/logos and the primary colors. Most people look best in either jewel tones, earth tones, or pastels depending on the warmth (yellowness) or coolness (blueness) of your skin tone. Hold a sheet of white paper against your face in front of a mirror. If your complexion looks more yellow, go with warmer colors like earth tones or jewel tones. If it looks more blue, go with cooler colors (blue, green, pastels). If you can't tell, you might be in the middle and be able to pull off both warm and cool colors.
    • Flannel -- comfortable and warm; they come in various patterns, both light and dark. I like pairing cooler colored flannels (blues) with jeans and warmer colored ones (reds, greens) with chinos
    • Polo shirt -- commonly found in pastels and primary colors; these work best if you're slightly muscular/built, but not usually otherwise... I tend not to wear these personally, but can look good on some
    • Oxford cloth button-down -- very versatile and popular; heavier fabric that dress shirts; these traditionally come in three basic colors: pale blue, pale pink, and white. I like them because they're slightly dressier than t-shirts/polos, and can be worn untucked (unlike dress shirts) which makes is a nice casual option for spring/summer; you have to find an OCBD that fits, however (or have it tailored), or you risk looking like you're drowning in fabric; the cut of the shirt should follow the shape of your torso but drape loosely enough to look casual like this
    • Sport shirt -- this is any button-up shirt that is not a dress-shirt (an OCBD is a type of sport shirt); they are usually shorter in the body than dress shirts because they don't need to be tucked in. They come in many patterns, but some nice versatile choices are gingham/micro-gingham, plaid, floral-patterned (if you're the right type of guy, these can actually look really nice); look for 100% cotton, poplin; avoid polyester


    Also, sweaters/pullovers/cardigans -- find ones that fit. They can be any color, so long as there's no sagging anywhere. They should fit close to your body without being tight.

    All of the above can be paired with:
    • Jeans -- choose a straight-leg cut or a slim-cut if you are skinny; the point is that you want the pants to sit close to your leg without either drowning it in fabric (which looks messy and is a throwback to the 1990s) or looking like leggings; avoid pre-distressed jeans (the ones that have fade marks worked in at the factory); a good pair of dark denim is more versatile than lighter; here is a well-fitting pair of jeans -- you may want to go slightly looser or slimmer, depending on your body type
    • Chinos -- also called "khakis" (although khaki is technically just a color that chinos can come in), find a pair that fits slightly looser than your jeans; these come in basic colors, but a traditional khaki color (light brown) and some sort of off-white (or even white during summer) are versatile and will go with most of the above shirts


    For shoes, just find a pair of minimalist sneakers (not overburdened with designs), a pair of casual (brown) leather shoes to go with your slightly dressier clothes, and maybe a pair of boat shoes for summer, and you're set.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  13. #13
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    In terms of casual wear, how clothes fit your body is generally more important than "matching." The reason being is that you're going to be dealing with some basic staples of the male wardrobe that you can mix and match quite easily. In some cases (like the OCBD), they only come in a few basic colors. In others, so long as the clothes fit, you can get away with some pretty crazy color combinations.

    The Five Basic Casual Shirts
    • T-shirt -- The most basic and ubiquitous, they come in every color under the sun, but I'd avoid any shirts with graphics/logos and the primary colors. Most people look best in either jewel tones, earth tones, or pastels depending on the warmth (yellowness) or coolness (blueness) of your skin tone. Hold a sheet of white paper against your face in front of a mirror. If your complexion looks more yellow, go with warmer colors like earth tones or jewel tones. If it looks more blue, go with cooler colors (blue, green, pastels). If you can't tell, you might be in the middle and be able to pull off both warm and cool colors.
    • Flannel -- comfortable and warm; they come in various patterns, both light and dark. I like pairing cooler colored flannels (blues) with jeans and warmer colored ones (reds, greens) with chinos
    • Polo shirt -- commonly found in pastels and primary colors; these work best if you're slightly muscular/built, but not usually otherwise... I tend not to wear these personally, but can look good on some
    • Oxford cloth button-down -- very versatile and popular; heavier fabric that dress shirts; these traditionally come in three basic colors: pale blue, pale pink, and white. I like them because they're slightly dressier than t-shirts/polos, and can be worn untucked (unlike dress shirts) which makes is a nice casual option for spring/summer; you have to find an OCBD that fits, however (or have it tailored), or you risk looking like you're drowning in fabric; the cut of the shirt should follow the shape of your torso but drape loosely enough to look casual like this
    • Sport shirt -- this is any button-up shirt that is not a dress-shirt (an OCBD is a type of sport shirt); they are usually shorter in the body than dress shirts because they don't need to be tucked in. They come in many patterns, but some nice versatile choices are gingham/micro-gingham, plaid, floral-patterned (if you're the right type of guy, these can actually look really nice); look for 100% cotton, poplin; avoid polyester


    Also, sweaters/pullovers/cardigans -- find ones that fit. They can be any color, so long as there's no sagging anywhere. They should fit close to your body without being tight.

    All of the above can be paired with:
    • Jeans -- choose a straight-leg cut or a slim-cut if you are skinny; the point is that you want the pants to sit close to your leg without either drowning it in fabric (which looks messy and is a throwback to the 1990s) or looking like leggings; avoid pre-distressed jeans (the ones that have fade marks worked in at the factory); a good pair of dark denim is more versatile than lighter; here is a well-fitting pair of jeans -- you may want to go slightly looser or slimmer, depending on your body type
    • Chinos -- also called "khakis" (although khaki is technically just a color that chinos can come in), find a pair that fits slightly looser than your jeans; these come in basic colors, but a traditional khaki color (light brown) and some sort of off-white (or even white during summer) are versatile and will go with most of the above shirts


    For shoes, just find a pair of minimalist sneakers (not overburdened with designs), a pair of casual (brown) leather shoes to go with your slightly dressier clothes, and maybe a pair of boat shoes for summer, and you're set.
    Wow, man. Thanks for the right up. That's way more detail than I expected.
    I'll start preparation for trials soon.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  14. #14
    Shay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    789
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I never know what clothes to buy or what's supposed to match.

    Every time I pick out a shirt, the next second I start questioning the choice. I find it hard to believe that nothing out there matches; stuff that other people wear usually looks good.

    I normally go for plain, grayish clothes + jeans because it's the conservative choice, but even then I'm never sure if it looks good.

    The workers at the stores are no help at all because they're usually gay ENFjs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and try to get me to buy really avant-garde stuff that's unnecessarily ornate (i.e. pushing the bounds of abstract fashion) or designed to create impact in an openly sexual way, which I'm not really comfortable with.

    Plus, I want my own style. I don't want to be given an exact recipe cooked up by someone else. So.. what are the general principles to picking out clothing that matches?
    I suffer from similar problems so sorry I can't much help except to suggest that if you chance upon brands that you like and they fit ok etc then that's a safe choice and hopefully they have items that go together well to make things simpler. Some clothing websites suggest matching items which can help.

    Also there are people out there who are gifted in this area and may be willing to help you - I'm lucky to have a daughter like this.
    Though often my kids just laugh at my attire and either tell me off for certain things not going together or call me The Baglady :-(

    And you need not worry about a lack of uniqueness as this comes from your personality which as you say is a natural at not doing the clothing thing quite right!

  15. #15
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, nvm. I figured it all out.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  16. #16
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Wow, man. Thanks for the right up. That's way more detail than I expected.
    I'll start preparation for trials soon.
    You're welcome. Good luck!

    EDIT: Forgot one other shirt type: henley. Looks like this. Looks good with anything (even sweatpants) and you can wear any color, really.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  17. #17
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wear a medieval clown hat on your penis.

    This is all that you ever need wear and it is always in fashion.

  18. #18
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    First thing you will want to do is take care of the basics. Get some neutral-toned T-shirts and neutral-toned pants.

    http://www.express.com/clothing/stre...1421/cat430030

    I have on the charcoal colored shirt as my innermost layer of clothing, a layer of Under Armour 4.0 over that, and a Calvin Klein wool sweater that's two different shades of charcoal as an outermost layer. Didn't even have to wear a coat outside, and the temperatures are well below freezing!

    I wish I had more to say after this, but I don't know your specific build, so pants are hard for me to talk about. Make sure the jeans are made of a thick fabric if you get any! Jeans recently got much thinner overall. I'd keep the tones neutral and dark, and hunt around in thrift stores!

    After that, I'd look for various things to layer over those t-shirts. Button-down shirts are great with or without a shirt underneath, and make sure to take them to a tailor after you buy them. This step is crucial.

    If you're in a colder climate, like I am, then looking into a wool coat would also be a good idea. Not much I can say on this one because I nailed it on my first shot on accident at a leather coat store of all places.

  19. #19
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah screw it, this is too complicated. I didn't even know shirts had names. I'll just wear whatever I find and fit my personality around it so people don't ask questions.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  20. #20
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why change your style now?

    Get materials that are comfortable for you. Try some. Some people like heavy materials some like lighter fabrics. My brother in law wears a lot of structured sweaters, my brother wears a lot of T-shirts.

    The rules for men are (there are no rules ) everyday casual: nice t-shirt, nothing in too bright a color and dark wash jeans; out and about: a dark burgundy color dress shirt worn casually (as in not tucked in neat) with jeans and casual shoes; get a nice dark jacket (not a jean jacket or a heavy coat) something like a free country coat is good; some men, depending on their body style look good in light color slacks while typically it's hard for men to pull this style off.

    This is my absolute favorite look in a guy:


    This is the weekend casual look:

    This is a nice comfortable look:




    In men's case, shoes should match your coat, like this, but if you're not going to wear a coat, get a shoe that is a neutral shade (light kaki pants with brown shoes or shoes that have similar color stripe or pattern on it; here, don't do what women should do, don't get a shoe that's the same color as the slacks):



    I love it when men play with style, in color coordination neutral tones go with other neutral tones. However, don't do dark color on dark color, like dark blue and black. If you do dark blue do it like this:


  21. #21
    Moderator Reficulris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Get the darker shades of jeans, they fit both casual and semi professional style.
    black well cut v-neck tshirts work well if you're skinny
    wear only black socks that can be worn with dress shoes
    boxers instead of tight underwear
    wear brown dress shoes and get one of the gay enfjs to pick a matching belt
    buy a few hoodies, preferably branded (but no Wierd designs on them)
    two or three jackets, grey/brown go with "tweed" instead of solid colors since they match more colors (again, gay enfjs can actually help in color matching)
    dress shirts, go for two or three that are good for your complexion, horizontal stripes if you're fat, anything if you're skinny. But aim conservative with dress shirts, you'll want to be able to wear them both to expansive clubs and funerals

    but: the best thing to do is just ask a women, any attractive women, to go with you and help you with shopping. IME most will agree to help a man out and actually enjoy it if you're willing to try stuff out they propose. They're less likely than enfj gay guys to dress you up like christmastree and will have exquisite eye for fit and color matching. Just tell them what general style you like and what your budgetary limits are and they'll try to keep within those bounds. They deal with shit like this on regular basis, and even women who don't love fashion usually have a good eye for what looks right! I do this all the time even though I have some idea about fashion, it also is much less awkward and allows you to look at your back, in a way.

    to see my general taste this is my Pinterest board for style/fashion. The recommendations I started with are a good base style for most styles you could branch into later on! http://www.pinterest.com/Ulven/cloth...t-the-wrappin/

    edit:@woofwoofl and @Animal nailed it! ^^
    Last edited by Reficulris; 02-07-2014 at 07:56 AM.

  22. #22
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions Refi and Maritsa. Also, forgot to thank Woofl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    Get the darker shades of jeans, they fit both casual and semi professional style.
    Already do this.

    boxers instead of tight underwear
    What about for support when running? I do a lot of athletic stuff.

    But aim conservative with dress shirts, you'll want to be able to wear them both to expansive clubs and funerals
    I rarely go clubbing though, which to me, esp. the music, feels like my brain being dragged through a bed of nails.

    but: the best thing to do is just ask a women, any attractive women, to go with you and help you with shopping. IME most will agree to help a man out and actually enjoy it if you're willing to try stuff out they propose. They're less likely than enfj gay guys to dress you up like christmastree and will have exquisite eye for fit and color matching. Just tell them what general style you like and what your budgetary limits are and they'll try to keep within those bounds. They deal with shit like this on regular basis, and even women who don't love fashion usually have a good eye for what looks right! I do this all the time even though I have some idea about fashion, it also is much less awkward and allows you to look at your back, in a way.
    A few have offered, but then I wouldn't hear the end of it from them.

    Besides, I'd rather figure stuff out on my own through trial and experimentation to feel confident in my own logic. Suggestions are ok (to speed up the process), but opening the door for cross-examination from a higher authority is what I'm trying to avoid.
    Last edited by xerx; 02-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  23. #23
    squirreltual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLI 9 sp/sx
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


  24. #24
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fuck it. I'll just start dressing like a freak.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  25. #25
    squirreltual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLI 9 sp/sx
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You probably look a lot more put together than you think already. Trial and error, my friend. In lieu of RL sartorial reassurance from others, just have fun experimenting. Confidence is key.

  26. #26
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Fuck it. I'll just start dressing like a freak.
    It can be pretty overwhelming, but don't try to do everything all at once. It actually took me about a year to learn everything I wrote in that post. Lots of reading and learning from various places very slowly over time. In the beginning, stock up on staples, which will be versatile and appropriate for many occasions and settings. Just buy one thing at a time, going very slowly until you have a decent wardrobe put together. Maybe one or two things everything month or two. You don't want to splurge all at once on clothes that don't fit or you end up hating.

    Re: underwear -- I actually like synthetic boxer briefs like these over boxers. They are much more breathable and give you support (for both day-to-day wear and for sports).
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  27. #27
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    What about for support when running? I do a lot of athletic stuff.
    join me in the almighty commando legion, xerx!

    I haven't even owned a pair of underwear in well over a decade. I feel free without them, and I no longer have to expend time and effort to put them on, take them off, wash them, dry them, store them, and/or maneuver around them when going to the bathroom. The "tighty-whitey" style always looks terrible, likely because it resembles a huge diaper. If you must wear underwear, then yes, boxers or boxer-briefs. I love how my pants just segue right into my torso without any visually disruptive underwear making extraneous lines or making my ass look anything different than what my ass happens to look like, and it also rules for you and a girl because they can get to your sexy parts that much faster and easier.

    Join me in the commando legion! I bike, I run, I somersault and do pull-ups nearly every time I see a set of those iron-man rings outside, and I love to hold onto escalator railings in such a way that my feet are off the ground, which means my arms support all of my body weight, and I usually do this while going up. My parts can breathe much easier without the underwear. Underwear adds to the "swamp ass" problem, in my experiences.

    No more underwear!

  28. #28
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    The "tighty-whitey" style always looks terrible, likely because it resembles a huge diaper.

    ...

    a girl because they can get to your sexy parts that much faster and easier.
    How would this affect my infantile romance style?
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  29. #29
    A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    TIM
    ill
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    join me in the almighty commando legion, xerx!

    I haven't even owned a pair of underwear in well over a decade. I feel free without them, and I no longer have to expend time and effort to put them on, take them off, wash them, dry them, store them, and/or maneuver around them when going to the bathroom. The "tighty-whitey" style always looks terrible, likely because it resembles a huge diaper. If you must wear underwear, then yes, boxers or boxer-briefs. I love how my pants just segue right into my torso without any visually disruptive underwear making extraneous lines or making my ass look anything different than what my ass happens to look like, and it also rules for you and a girl because they can get to your sexy parts that much faster and easier.

    Join me in the commando legion! I bike, I run, I somersault and do pull-ups nearly every time I see a set of those iron-man rings outside, and I love to hold onto escalator railings in such a way that my feet are off the ground, which means my arms support all of my body weight, and I usually do this while going up. My parts can breathe much easier without the underwear. Underwear adds to the "swamp ass" problem, in my experiences.

    No more underwear!
    Aren't you afraid to get your scrotum stuck in the zipper?
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

    Brought to you by socionix.com

  30. #30
    A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    TIM
    ill
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    How would this affect my infantile romance style?
    Have you considered Huggies?
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

    Brought to you by socionix.com

  31. #31
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the knowledge bomb @Animal
    Easy Day

  32. #32
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Have you considered Huggies?
    no, I prefer the medicated kind.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  33. #33
    A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    TIM
    ill
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    no, I prefer the medicated kind.

    "Little swimmers" go over best for infantile sex anyway.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

    Brought to you by socionix.com

  34. #34
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge bomb @Animal
    Thank you for introducing me to the term "knowledge bomb."
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  35. #35
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Fuck it. I'll just start dressing like a freak.
    Purple, lots of it! Color of royalty.



    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  36. #36
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I never know what clothes to buy or what's supposed to match.

    Every time I pick out a shirt, the next second I start questioning the choice. I find it hard to believe that nothing out there matches; stuff that other people wear usually looks good.

    I normally go for plain, grayish clothes + jeans because it's the conservative choice, but even then I'm never sure if it looks good.

    The workers at the stores are no help at all because they're usually gay ENFjs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and try to get me to buy really avant-garde stuff that's unnecessarily ornate (i.e. pushing the bounds of abstract fashion) or designed to create impact in an openly sexual way, which I'm not really comfortable with.

    Plus, I want my own style. I don't want to be given an exact recipe cooked up by someone else. So.. what are the general principles to picking out clothing that matches?
    I shop at abercrombie & fitch for safer choices. But I also shop Hot Topic, Rave, Victoria's secret catalog and AMICLUBWEAR, to name a few.

    It would be hard to help someone pick clothes without knowing their personality, gender or even country... I think you should just wear what makes you comfortable. I mean there are times you have to dress up and I think that is way easier for men. Choose complimentary colors and fabrics. There are several sites to research. Whatever you choose to wear, own it, rock it and if possible don't worry about how others see your choices, Do you...

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  37. #37
    DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alps
    TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I never know what clothes to buy or what's supposed to match.

    Every time I pick out a shirt, the next second I start questioning the choice. I find it hard to believe that nothing out there matches; stuff that other people wear usually looks good.

    I normally go for plain, grayish clothes + jeans because it's the conservative choice, but even then I'm never sure if it looks good.

    The workers at the stores are no help at all because they're usually gay ENFjs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and try to get me to buy really avant-garde stuff that's unnecessarily ornate (i.e. pushing the bounds of abstract fashion) or designed to create impact in an openly sexual way, which I'm not really comfortable with.

    Plus, I want my own style. I don't want to be given an exact recipe cooked up by someone else. So.. what are the general principles to picking out clothing that matches?
    Search a friend (male or female) who helps you with shopping. Shit first on individuality and develop it slowly.

  38. #38
    DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alps
    TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I shop at abercrombie & fitch for safer choices. But I also shop Hot Topic, Rave, Victoria's secret catalog and AMICLUBWEAR, to name a few.

    It would be hard to help someone pick clothes without knowing their personality, gender or even country... I think you should just wear what makes you comfortable. I mean there are times you have to dress up and I think that is way easier for men. Choose complimentary colors and fabrics. There are several sites to research. Whatever you choose to wear, own it, rock it and if possible don't worry about how others see your choices, Do you...
    You spend money on brands for nothing. Abercombie and especially Victoria Secret's are pure marketing products. Step 1 Spend billions on models. Step 2 make a square push up BH. Step 3 Cash in. Step 4 LOL

  39. #39
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,899
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    You spend money on brands for nothing. Abercombie and especially Victoria Secret's are pure marketing products. Step 1 Spend billions on models. Step 2 make a square push up BH. Step 3 Cash in. Step 4 LOL
    I didn't say I was the one paying for it. I also shop walmart for clothes and my friends give me clothes they bought but never wore. You could say, I'm covered.

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  40. #40
    Moderator Reficulris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions Refi and Maritsa. Also, forgot to thank Woofl.



    Already do this.



    What about for support when running? I do a lot of athletic stuff.



    I rarely go clubbing though, which to me, esp. the music, feels like my brain being dragged through a bed of nails.



    A few have offered, but then I wouldn't hear the end of it from them.

    Besides, I'd rather figure stuff out on my own through trial and experimentation to feel confident in my own logic. Suggestions are ok (to speed up the process), but opening the door for cross-examination from a higher authority is what I'm trying to avoid.
    For running, go ahead and wear what's comfy (or go commando as woof suggested ) I mean, I think you should wear whatever makes you feel right for the circumstances. When running that's comfort, transpiration and heat regulation etc... For situations where you want to look "nice", either business, formal or to appeal to the other sex you just take different criteria in account (one of which, sadly, is the oppinion of the people you're out to meet).

    Clubbing, yeah, I hate it too... although the more upper echilon of clubs tend to be less loud and crowded and have more of a mix business with pleasure vibe, i kinda like and frequent those (and only those).

    As for taking women for shopping, maybe it's not the right suggestion for you. When I started looking into fashion it had the singular goal of making me more appealing to women. So I did what I thought was the easiest route, I took any women I liked for clotheshopping and turned it into mini-dates. I liked it, but than, I'm like a women in the sense that I can obsess over shades of color, fit etc, we are naturall shopping companions.


    If you want to develop your own style, start with the basics (you've got the dark jeans covered) and just build from there. What I did was making a pinterest board where I pin anything fashion that fits my general style. It's like a moodboard. Than, when I go shopping that will stay as general suggestions in my head. It suggests articles of clothing that you might want and go buy and gives ideas on how to mesh things togethers. Bonuspoints; everything on pinterest is basically pre-judged as in, you can be certain the colors fit together (or are daringly matched) and such. This way you get the geste of what matching is about without having to peruse fashion magezines, books or discuss it endlessly with gay ENFJs ;-)

    A part of fashion is adhering to standards, the other part is finding your unique niche and style differences. I don't aim to be super fashionable (too much hassle, risk, and it feels kinda stupid to care THAT much) however i consider my clothes as part of my tactical arsenal. I dress different for different types of business meetings and or social events. Not necesarilly by fitting in....

    Also, it really isn't that hard as it seems, the general wish to look nice coupled with observation of those you think look nice will get you a long way!

    (you probably look nice already anyway, style is something that comes from when you start caring and only accentuates what you aready got!)



    As for the guy who said buying branded clothes is wasted money; well, at least when applying for a job, people with branded clothes are regarded as more relyable, competent and socially adapted. You can lever that marketing money to your advantage since the brand WILL rub off on you, both psychologically (women reported feeling more sexy when walking around WITH JUST THE BAG of victoria's secret opposed to a non-branded bag) and socially.

    Not justifying marketing, but it exists and serves a purpose, fighting it is about as pointless as dumbly following it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •