Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Bake on Wednesday...

  1. #1
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Bake on Wednesday...

    Does anyone successfully approach their chores using a weekly system like the one used in the olden days?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  2. #2
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The flylady system at flylady.com sets up a similar system. It breaks the home down into zones. You work on one zone per week, or can set it to work on one zone per day. It'll send you assignments each day for the zone, and after a year you've got a pretty deeply cleaned home (it also includes decluttering). Many people love it.

    I have too much clutter for following their assignments so I dropped the program. But I keep the zone idea in mind so I don't feel so overwhelmed with all I have to do.

    If you have an iPain, an app called HomeRoutines combines programs like that, guiding you through setting up zone schedules and routines for a given day including reminders, stars, resets, etc. I sometimes use that, but have pretty much settled in with a little here a little there. However, my place isn't visitor friendly, so I can't say it's a success, lol.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  3. #3
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, I don't do chores, chores do me.

  4. #4
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What are these chores of which you speak?
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  5. #5
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    The flylady system at flylady.com sets up a similar system. It breaks the home down into zones. You work on one zone per week, or can set it to work on one zone per day. It'll send you assignments each day for the zone, and after a year you've got a pretty deeply cleaned home (it also includes decluttering). Many people love it.

    I have too much clutter for following their assignments so I dropped the program. But I keep the zone idea in mind so I don't feel so overwhelmed with all I have to do.

    If you have an iPain, an app called HomeRoutines combines programs like that, guiding you through setting up zone schedules and routines for a given day including reminders, stars, resets, etc. I sometimes use that, but have pretty much settled in with a little here a little there. However, my place isn't visitor friendly, so I can't say it's a success, lol.
    I tried Flylady, but it is too much information. I reduced Flylady's overwhelming daily onslaught of emails to one, but it is still so much to process. Here is what is in one small box on her crowded website home page. The additional stuff, control journals, the products she sells, etc. make me feel panicky. Welcome back to FlyLady! Today is Monday, February 3, 2014 . This week we are in Zone 2, and our habit for February is Decluttering for 15 Minutes a Day. Go to your Launch Pad to see the following:

    • Today's flight plan.
    • Today's today's reminders.
    • This week's zone missions.
    • The current zone detail cleaning list.
      I am sure it works but I can't make myself even open the one daily email because all I expect to be overwhelmed by all of her information. I don't have an iPain! But I may look around at some other apps for my phone. That's a good idea.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  6. #6
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I tried Flylady, but it is too much information. I reduced Flylady's overwhelming daily onslaught of emails to one, but it is still so much to process. Here is what is in one small box on her crowded website home page. The additional stuff, control journals, the products she sells, etc. make me feel panicky. Welcome back to FlyLady! Today is Monday, February 3, 2014 . This week we are in Zone 2, and our habit for February is Decluttering for 15 Minutes a Day. Go to your Launch Pad to see the following:

    • Today's flight plan.
    • Today's today's reminders.
    • This week's zone missions.
    • The current zone detail cleaning list.
      I am sure it works but I can't make myself even open the one daily email because all I expect to be overwhelmed by all of her information. I don't have an iPain! But I may look around at some other apps for my phone. That's a good idea.
    Omg, i know, right?? Email flooding!!!


    http://www.homeroutines.com/
    This is the app i sometimes use, to give you an idea of what's on it: http://www.homeroutines.com/
    Really, a simple list with reminders could work as well. A list of things to do for each zone, then schedule each zone for a specific day of the week, or specific week of the month.

    Another idea is to just walk into each room and ask something like "what one small change can I make in here today that would improve this room?" (Or"make it feel better") Sometimes that one thing could be doing laundry. Or vacuuming the floor. Or clearing a counter. This can be done in zone fashion, or every room gets one small thing done in it each day.

    Anyways, house chores and I have a constant battle going on, heh. Which is why I get so excited when I accomplish even one small thing each day.

    May you find something that works for you.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  7. #7
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Omg, i know, right?? Email flooding!!!
    The emails just kept coming and filling up my inbox. I couldn't read them fast enough. It made me feel even more behind and incompetent.


    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    http://www.homeroutines.com/
    This is the app i sometimes use, to give you an idea of what's on it: http://www.homeroutines.com/
    Really, a simple list with reminders could work as well. A list of things to do for each zone, then schedule each zone for a specific day of the week, or specific week of the month.

    Another idea is to just walk into each room and ask something like "what one small change can I make in here today that would improve this room?" (Or"make it feel better") Sometimes that one thing could be doing laundry. Or vacuuming the floor. Or clearing a counter. This can be done in zone fashion, or every room gets one small thing done in it each day.

    Anyways, house chores and I have a constant battle going on, heh. Which is why I get so excited when I accomplish even one small thing each day.

    May you find something that works for you.
    Ah, thanks, Ann! Today I decided that if I got 4 rooms tidied up, that I would reward myself with yard work (which I enjoy.) I used a timer to keep me from over focusing. That worked, except the light is fading and I haven't gotten to the yard.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  8. #8
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,936
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    flylady.com
    oh my fucking god

    have you seen the shiny sink video????



    that fucking music

    it makes this shit sound so tragic, i had to stop watching it like halfway through because i started having trouble taking myself seriously anymore. like i feel like i just watched that video with the fucking bodies falling from the WTC.

  9. #9
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=Capitalist Pig;996293]oh my fucking god

    have you seen the shiny sink video????

    I had to stop at 0:39 when she sang that she could feel her courage tremble. What depressing music. Is that supposed to be motivational?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  10. #10
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Omg CPig...I cant believe you tricked us into watching even a part of that!!

    I tried lasting longer than half way...to outlast CPig...but I couldn't take it anymore. What horrible marketing for them.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  11. #11
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have a routine. I try my best to keep it.
    I always take 10 to 15 minutes most work mornings to clean my home; Mondays it will be dusting, Tuesdays cleaning the floor, Wednesdays the bathroom, Thursday the Kitchen (most often the fridge), Fridays the windows. I never clean on the weekend. I do laundry on Thursday evenings. I sort out my paperwork and clear the clutter one day a week. I balance my checking every morning. Grocery shop on Sundays. I don't iron...I'm an EII . LSE iron. They like things a particular way so I will do the other chores and they can have their dresses and shirts ironed any way they want.

  12. #12
    take a second of me sarinana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,166
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saturday is the day I am gonna clean the whole place from the start to the bottom. Tuesday-Fri I work and avoid having guests as my place is usually super chaotic during these days. Sundays I like inviting people over. Mondays I typically spend on my own... drawing or writing and I also do my laundry on Mondays.
    Sincerely Yours,

    Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

    The Rebel without a cause.

  13. #13
    take a second of me sarinana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,166
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    P.S. Why did you post that video?! It's rather disappointing.
    Sincerely Yours,

    Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

    The Rebel without a cause.

  14. #14
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Maritsa and @sarinana and @anndelise How did you acquire your various systems? Did you develop them by yourself? Were you trained to be systematic (**jealous** - Iris received almost no helpful training...)
    Last edited by Iris; 02-04-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: various spelling woes
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  15. #15
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Capitalist Pig I like the way your avatar is staring at the shiny sink... Mesmerized...
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  16. #16
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have not touched an iron since I murdered my SLI ex's suit the night before an early-morning job interview approximately 10 years ago.
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  17. #17
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,338
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have an iron and an ironing board that's only been used when I tried learning how to sew.
    Iron clothes?? hell no. I avoid clothes that need ironing. Or, immediately pull out of hot dryer and hang.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  18. #18
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I have not touched an iron since I murdered my SLI ex's suit the night before an early-morning job interview approximately 10 years ago.
    Oh noooo...
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  19. #19
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    @Maritsa and @sarinana and @anndelise How did you acquire your various systems? Did you develop them by yourself? Were you trained to be systematic (**jealous** - Iris received almost no helpful training...)
    I devised my own because I have very little energy and will I often find myself not being able to do much so I had to find a way to do things slowly and in pieces.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •