TIM
    INFP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs/INFps experiencing burnout due to work environment

Hello there,

I am new here, and some words are new for me too. For exemple IEI, I see it many times, need to search what is it exactly...I only know that I am INFP.

I was wondering if anyone experienced a Burnout due to work environment ? I just get out from a burnout, and it has been very difficult for me. I still have consequences. I never thought it could happen, and actually I discovered this word thanks to my doctor who followed me during all the process. Very kind.

To tell the story:
    Since my childhood I wanted to be a commercial pilot. It was my dream. For me it was flying and being in a freedom environment. So I passed all my licences and ratings, no problems. I was very good student. Then I could become instructor which was my best time.

I started flying at 15 y/o. and got my first job in an airline in asia at 27 y/o. A long path with obstacle.

I wanted to live adventure, see the world and girls, do parties. etc... When I was teenager I never went out with friends, I only worked so hard. I was thinking if I work hard, I will have great lifestyle. Then I discovered the truth. The reality of the job in asia. No freedom, only rules and procedures, rules, procedures, rules procedures...Far from my family, I started flying for a low cost airlines, with strict schedule (but irregular), short sleeps... I was still under supervised so I had to study harder.

The lifestyle was so fast for me, I lived in big city, with high noises, (even during nights). I could not sleep properly. I drunk a lot too.... I did parties, I had fun (I thought I had fun) and drunk a lot. IIt's like I was living all what I could not live when I was younger. I was taking revenge. It looked like adolescent crisis.

Days after days, I was angry and felt a very high stress. For exemple, when I was OFF (schedule) , I was very relieved. But when I had to log in to check my schedule and I was ON, I was nearly crying and felt very stressed. At this moment I started to analyse myself. How come, as a passionate like me, could be happy to be OFF ? Something was wrong in my mind...

One night, all the things came....I could not sleep, and got asthma, and stomach pain. I was suddenly scared to go out.... I had to go to medical center, but I was terrified to go out alone. I was scared of my mobile phone too. Even today I dislike my phone..

Fortunately I called my family who helped me via skype and tried to forced me.

Then I had 15 days sick leave. Long holidays were coming...15 days by 15 days. and then..months after months.

I immediately came back to Europe and had to be cured. I saw a therapist, and doctors.

Then, after a few months, when I was better, I went to a center for unemployed persons. They helped us to come back in the social life. I took many tests and discovered for the first time, INFP. It meant nothing at first but after reading informations, I am not surprised at all. But it's like I ignored myself for many years.
    It seems that commercial pilot is not the best career for a type like us.
    Of course it could have some exceptions, and personnally, I always thought that psychology things are not 100% sure. But in my case, I was quite convinced indeed.

Today I feel lost a bit. I have to find a new career for me. I guess it will be in the paramedical, but I am afraid that I am unstable. I feel interested in many things and get bored easily :/

If one day I want to build a family (my wish) I know that I have to focus on a stable career at least.

Anyway, just to share with you my story and was wondering how many persons are in this kind of situation.

Thank you for reading
    English is my second language

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

IEI is a name of a type in socionics (sometimes associated with INFP mbti type). But going from mbti to socionics isn't straightforward or easy. Best to approach socionics from a blank slate rather than try to find the connections, even though some of the jargon seems similiar.

To respond to your post;
    I can somewhat relate, although I burned out due to school system (or rather, due to living in an environment that was subtly opressive to my psyche) I think it is quite easy to confuse what you want and need with what you actually need. I mean, partying, living the fast life, live fast die young and leave a beautifull corpse and such can look very appealing (actually, I think it's one of the two dominant ideas about "succes" in our current society (for males that is)). By focussing on such an idea it is quite possible to lose touch with your actual skills, preferences, circumstances etc.

Such a live (flying airplanes in Asia) sounds exciting but would indeed be the death of me; anything with rules and schedules makes me very rebelious, i'd probably bomb the plane i was on myself if I had to adhere to such a schedule, jk.

In a way, that's one of the things I think socionics can help with, it explains some of the environments (in a way) that are easy or hard for you minimising the chances that you'll burn out again.

Sometimes it's necesary to dream big, sometimes it's good to bring the dream down a notch and enjoy the small stuff. (well, tbh, it's best to dream big while having someone who'll make you enjoy the small stuff ^^)

P.s. Where in Europe are you located?

TIM
    INFP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your reply.
    Ok I see, so...am I in the right section in the forum ?

The environment plays a lot for me, and the management too. I needed freedom and taking decision myself, what I could not. I had to follow a book of procedures. It's as if playing music like a robot without interpretation. I felt like a robot in a robot, meaning planes are very computised now, so I felt like an operator.
    I had a big dllusion of course, I feel responsible too, because I dreamed a lot and had a picture of the job in my head. Now, everything is realted to money and we have to work faster for less reward.
    Plus I hated all the marketing around me. I felt like being in bubble where people are living themselves in a bubble. I don't understand them.

I live in France.
    English is my second language

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boby View Post
    I live in France.
    Ahh, the land killer taxes. Feel free to tax SLE.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boby View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    Ok I see, so...am I in the right section in the forum ?
    actually not exactly. I was quite impatient to read a relaxing post on Betas and burnout . Instead of Sociopaths, manipulation and breaking the law, but alas...