Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Type and memory

  1. #1
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Berlin
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Type and memory

    Which types are likely to have most problems with rote learning when it comes to historical data, foreign languages, exact quotes from books etc.? I wonder if it's related to a specific polr. (Si?) or just a matter of Ti vs Te valuing. Those I've heard talking about it were mainly intuitives - ENTP friend claims only after understanding the internal logic of stuff can she remember anything, while EII has sponge-like memory and can recite entire poems, for instance, even enjoys this kind of exercise.
    Last edited by Amber; 01-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.

  2. #2
    silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Posts
    3,813
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to this http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ups-by-Gulenko the Process Introverted types (LSI, EII, ILI, SEI) have a preference for accumulating information. Enneagram head triad might also have some effect on this. The people whom I've known to have very good detail-oriented memories have been of types SEI 6s, ILI 5s, and an ILE 3w2 with an almost photographic memory. With EIIs I've noticed that they have a very precise narration styles when we're simply talking what they did during the course of their day. Similar to LSIs, they don't do well with vagueness and need everything clarified in my response to them.


    Right introverts: LSI, EII, ILI, SEI - accumulators of information. ILI accumulates scientific or philosophical information, LSI accumulates operational or managerial information (both of these types make for the best collectors), EII - humanitarian information, SEI - social information (prices, services, events and holidays).. They specialize in informatics of large groups. LSI and SEI engage in solving immediate concrete problems at work or at home. ILI and EII cooperate on basis of philosophical, scientific, and spiritual topics.


    Result intuitives are supposedly the most "coarse" in how they deal with information.

    Left intuitive types: LIE, LII, IEE, IEI - group of general results. This group is a complete opposite of the previous group. These types are the most "coarse" in their approach to information - they assimilate it in large blocks and are averse to getting into details. Approximation is characteristic of these types - sequential approach from a vague contour to a more specific result.

    Thankfully their duals are equipped to receive information in exactly such "generalized" vague form:

    Left sensing types: ESE, ESI, SLI, SLE - group of concrete results. This group carries out implementation of generalized plans into something concrete. They never wait long and are only interested in projects that can be quickly implemented.


    Personally I'm of opinion that there is a whole lot more involved in memory processing than simply one's socionics type.

  3. #3
    Pookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SLI and to a lesser extent EII have been the two types that can pick up an entirely song and recite it from memory the quickest.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

    Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

  4. #4
    Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you for creating a topic that to me is actually rather interesting. This is something I've thought over and considered quite a bit. In the end, I have attributed it to a difference in Te versus Ti thinking. Whereas Te tends to focus more on memorization of a large set of facts and procedures, Ti tends more toward a streamlined process that involves a method for checking the validity of facts and processes. The benefit to this is that one rarely becomes stuck with a fact or process that doesn't work, simply because that fact is derived each time it is used, so to speak. Compared to Te, however, this can be a very slow process and accordingly inefficient. I can't tell you how many Te types get angry and frustrated with me because I need time to think about something before coming to a conclusion, even if it's something I've used many times before. The criticism goes like this: "You should know this LIKE THAT!" *snaps fingers*.... I often memorize large sections of facts and information for a short period of time and then forget it ever existed when I stop using it. Ergo: great working memory and poor long term memory. My memory and skills have a lack of reflexivity. The benefit to this is along the lines of a popular movie: the eternally spotless mind.

    As far as memory itself goes of life story and events, my memory is highly episodic in nature and very disconnected between episodes, however vivid and detailed those might be. I often don't remember events that others find significant, so that there are often gaps in my story of the past. I don't know how normal or common this is, but my oldest friend can remember some events and actions of my childhood that I can't even recall myself. He said that I blocked stuff out, but I'm not sure I believe that.

    Anyway, an IEI take on memory, reflection, etc. There you have it.

  5. #5
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    TI often memorize large sections of facts and information for a short period of time and then forget it ever existed when I stop using it. Ergo: great working memory and poor long term memory.
    ...
    As far as memory itself goes of life story and events, my memory is highly episodic in nature and very disconnected between episodes, however vivid and detailed those might be. I often don't remember events that others find significant, so that there are often gaps in my story of the past. I don't know how normal or common this is, but my oldest friend can remember some events and actions of my childhood that I can't even recall myself. He said that I blocked stuff out, but I'm not sure I believe that.
    I'm like this, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  6. #6
    Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    I'm like this, too.
    It's difficult to determine sometimes which of our experiences are type specific and which are common to human experience. In the case of the latter, we think we're the only ones when we just haven't talked about these experiences with others before. That's how we mistake general behavior for specific.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BC
    TIM
    Ti-LSI, 6w5, ISTJ
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    ENTP friend claims only after understanding the internal logic of stuff can she remember anything
    I notice the same thing. This actually makes introduction type courses more frustrating than senior-level courses for me.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Thank you for creating a topic that to me is actually rather interesting. This is something I've thought over and considered quite a bit. In the end, I have attributed it to a difference in Te versus Ti thinking. Whereas Te tends to focus more on memorization of a large set of facts and procedures, Ti tends more toward a streamlined process that involves a method for checking the validity of facts and processes. The benefit to this is that one rarely becomes stuck with a fact or process that doesn't work, simply because that fact is derived each time it is used, so to speak. Compared to Te, however, this can be a very slow process and accordingly inefficient. I can't tell you how many Te types get angry and frustrated with me because I need time to think about something before coming to a conclusion, even if it's something I've used many times before. The criticism goes like this: "You should know this LIKE THAT!" *snaps fingers*.... I often memorize large sections of facts and information for a short period of time and then forget it ever existed when I stop using it. Ergo: great working memory and poor long term memory. My memory and skills have a lack of reflexivity. The benefit to this is along the lines of a popular movie: the eternally spotless mind.

    As far as memory itself goes of life story and events, my memory is highly episodic in nature and very disconnected between episodes, however vivid and detailed those might be. I often don't remember events that others find significant, so that there are often gaps in my story of the past. I don't know how normal or common this is, but my oldest friend can remember some events and actions of my childhood that I can't even recall myself. He said that I blocked stuff out, but I'm not sure I believe that.

    Anyway, an IEI take on memory, reflection, etc. There you have it.
    Great post - I could've written this myself (though not so eloquently hah!)

    Yes I do attribute memory down to Te a fair bit - as you say with recalling things in the past - I don't really remember a lot of it unless it's triggered in my brain by someone that prompts me

    It's just more that if I feel like that if I can't use it in my current situation it's sort of disregarded - knowing I can always pick it up later

    Or like say someone asks me what brands of rosehip oil are out there - I won't remember all the names but I will just suggest to use the kosema brand as it's the best (while I probably researched all brands thoroughly at some point to arrive at the decision) my brain just likes throwing away all the information to make things clear as possible

  9. #9
    Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakealittle View Post
    Great post - I could've written this myself (though not so eloquently hah!)

    Yes I do attribute memory down to Te a fair bit - as you say with recalling things in the past - [B]I don't really remember a lot of it unless it's triggered in my brain by someone that prompts me{/B]

    It's just more that if I feel like that if I can't use it in my current situation it's sort of disregarded - knowing I can always pick it up later

    Or like say someone asks me what brands of rosehip oil are out there - I won't remember all the names but I will just suggest to use the kosema brand as it's the best (while I probably researched all brands thoroughly at some point to arrive at the decision) my brain just likes throwing away all the information to make things clear as possible
    Bolded: definitely true. I was talking with a friend on the phone recently and started remembering some things from the past that I thought I never would -- really good experiences that were quite pleasant. That was a first time for me lol.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't have a problem with that.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    SEI E6 ISFJ
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    According to this http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ups-by-Gulenko the Process Introverted types (LSI, EII, ILI, SEI) have a preference for accumulating information. Enneagram head triad might also have some effect on this. The people whom I've known to have very good detail-oriented memories have been of types SEI 6s, ILI 5s, and an ILE 3w2 with an almost photographic memory....


    Right introverts: LSI, EII, ILI, SEI - accumulators of information....



    Left intuitive types: LIE, LII, IEE, IEI - group of general results. This group is a complete opposite of the previous group. These types are the most "coarse" in their approach to information - they assimilate it in large blocks and are averse to getting into details. Approximation is characteristic of these types - sequential approach from a vague contour to a more specific result....
    SEI Enneagram 6 here, and I can definitely vouch for this view.

    I've always done very well in school simply because of the way the NA system is very much into testing and recall of obscure details and whatnot. I thought that everyone probably had the same memory ability as me, but that some people were didn't bother to pay attention to the material int he first place (hence why they wouldn't remember it and do poorly on tests as a result).
    HOWEVER recently I have been taking some courses with an IEI friend of mine, and I noticed a huge difference in how we perform and learn. She would come to class, read the material, do the assignments, study with me....but when it came to tests she said she would "blank". And it didn't matter how much she seemed to study, she would never have enough time to process the questions and delve back through her head fr the answers. After the test, she would often remember the answers to questions she knew she'd gotten wrong...SO in essence, she remembered the information, but couldn't access the memory/knowledge.

    So a think a large portion of the difference between her memory and mine is a matter of perception, her using her Ni and me using my Si. I remember details in a snap, but she isn't very detail-oriented or something so it's harder for her.

    I think Ti has something to do with it too perhaps?? I just know that, in my case at least, some combo of Si-Ti is letting me focus on details and encode them in a way that makes perfect to me without altering the way they were presented. If that makes any sense :/ On the other hand though, my memory is mostly short-term. So yes I may do excellent on tests and be able to master the material in a class during that semester, but as soon as that class is over and I'm not building on the info or recalling it every week, its like it just empties out of my head. Not entirely, since I've had to relearn information this year, and it took barely any effort at all, but it did need something to trigger it.

    @Eldanen: Your experience seems similar to my IEI friend's, which makes me think type has some influence on how we process and recall information.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm...

    I seem to remember info for a very long time, for I know I am going to use it. Most of it, I don't even know how I obtained and it just comes in flashes. For example, there was this exam I had to take next day and my roommate noticed I'm not even studying and drinking. Standard procedure: "you're not studying, you're going to fail it."

    Next day I got an A and he C.

    Trulululu.
    Last edited by Absurd; 02-04-2014 at 10:47 PM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    SEI E6 ISFJ
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hahaha yeah it happens like that at times for me too. Well, more like I study a bit and think "none of this is getting in my head, i'm too tired, etc etc" and then I'm the first one to finish the test and get an A.

    Maybe it has something to do more with Si then? I'm not super familiar with how each function works, but perhaps the commonality is that is seems like sensors don't have to try hard to get the info into their heads.....it just does, and it sticks :/

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm not really sure (yet). Didn't devote like a great amount of time on it, but for me it was partially the boredom that got me further how silly it may sound, to the point some of high school wasn't really challenging, what was even more boring...

  15. #15
    Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Hmm...

    I seem to remember info for a very long time, for I know I am going to use it. Most of it, I don't even know how I obtained and it just comes in flashes. For example, there was this exam I had to take next day and my roommate noticed I'm not even studying and drinking. Standard procedure: "you're not studying, you're going to fail it."

    Next day I got an A and he C.

    Trulululu.
    Lmao

  16. #16
    the Dreamer Remiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canopy of Memories
    TIM
    Ni-ILI 584 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I need a stimulant in order to store away shit in my long term memory. It depends solely on my interests, which is why I find academia pleasing to approach. I find it easy to remember theoretical information if the subject at hand continuously entice my curiosity.

    Although, the thrill of it comes from connecting separately stored pieces into a whole and thus rendering a greater understanding of whatever.
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ― Thucydides

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have very similar experiences to the ones described by @sweetgingerpeach and @Absurd. Once I learned about Si, I kind of associated my memory with that function... (don't know if correctly, but the idea seems to work).
    I'm like a sponge, people sometimes get surprised or joke around with me and "test" me - how do you remember that? I just do. I need to pay attention to what is going on around me or what someone is saying or what I'm reading and that's it. In high school I just needed to be present in class and then maybe quickly browse through the notes to get top scores in the test the next day.

    Long term is a bit tricky though. I can accumulate lots & lots of info I consider bs and still score well in a test, but like @sweetgingerpeach said, it kind of washes out of my memory quite soon later on (although "refreshing" does bring it back after some time). When it comes to stuff that interests me, I tend to remember it long term fairly easily, and if it's a long time between the events of me using it, then I don't need to "refresh" it as much, it's more like a trigger or dragging out a spaghetti, the longer I drag, the more I remember, lol.

    That being said, while it helped tremendously at high school/academia, this kind of memory is a bitch irl sometimes. I remember a ton of trivia about people (it proved useful for gift-giving) as people are my "interest" I guess... But when something bad happens and scars me emotionally, I remember it all too well for the longest time and need to make a conscious effort not to replay it in my head. Let's say smn I value was nasty to me. I'll probably remember it for the rest of my life and be able to recall it with all the facial expressions, exact words, tone of the voice, time of the day, lighting in the room, blah blah blah. I might forgive from the depth of my heart and/or I actually might not care about the person anymore, but despite wanting to - I won't forget. This makes finding ways to make good memories quite vital, cause then I can consciously push the bad memory out of my focus and concentrate on some good memory. It's pointless clinging to old bad memories, but the void after pushing one out of the picture needs to be filled with sth good, otherwise the bad one just comes back like a boomerang and steals attention.

    Also, I've been told by an ILE that sometimes smells trigger his memory, same happens with me, but it seems that while our memory works similar sometimes, his "sponge-like" capabilities are much weaker and I guess it's consistent with Si being his 4th function and my 1st... hm. He needs to understand in order to remember (so maybe more of Ti usage for memorising? or Si-Ti combo?) and I can memorize without understanding. Although when it comes to maths etc. obviously I need to understand too if the memory's supposed to turn into knowledge to build on (so I guess then I employ Ti, too).


    TL;DR - imho Si is probably the function associated with the sponge-like memory. Si-Ti combo would be responsible for learning via remembering & understanding (so logical subjects when recalling data is not enough). Hmm?
    Last edited by aisa; 02-20-2014 at 09:39 AM.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ehhh, all fine and dandy @aisa, but condense your text next time, so I won't have to skip over it.

    As for memory I am able to access, say, info pertaining various subjects. For example, I do still remember specific facts/events even from grade school without a problem. It doesn't go away. It is vivid as heck and may sound a bit silly when I try to explain it, but it [the info] just appears/highlights and I can use it. Can't just "forget about it", for I consider every piece of info valuable and useful even after its use.

    It is as if you were, I don't know, reading a book/magazine few days, months, years ago and it so happens you're going to need that particular info in some kind of task at hand - I can access this. The book/magazine, whatever, just appears, the pages blank, omitting any kind of info that doesn't fit at all, and the sought for wording/sentence/paragraph just appears/highlights.

    I am still trying to figure why is that I am prone to prefer some kind of information over another, though.

    Later.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Absurd you're asking the impossible. There was a tl;dr - with me you either get it condensed to that or the whole 'novel' When you're silent irl, you have to 'talk' somewhere and what better place than here, where smn can choose between reading my ramblings or going straight to the point and reading tl;dr instead?

    and with regard to what you wrote after the grumbling part - my memory works veeeryyy similar to yours.

  20. #20
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,633
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not type related imho. I have Si PoLR (supposedly) but an awesome visual and auditory memory (f.e. I relate 100% to what Aisa recounts). I can sometimes remember the tiniest details of places I've only been once, or remember a specific conversation I had with someone years ago (even if this convo was completely unimportant).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @FDG wow, that's actually interesting, I've heard on ENTj say this before irl. Have you taken any tests or tried to assess the strength of your particular functions? I'm more curious if it's function-related (namely: Si, any chance that despite it supposedly being Polr maybe it is developed?), rather than type-related tbh.
    Last edited by aisa; 02-20-2014 at 11:02 AM.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    @Absurd you're asking the impossible. There was a tl;dr - with me you either get it condensed to that or the whole 'novel' When you're silent irl, you have to 'talk' somewhere and what better place than here, where smn can choose between reading my ramblings or going straight to the point and reading tl;dr instead?
    Oh, didn't get to that part, only read first two sentences. Anyhow, I got in trouble many times due to saying what is on my mind and calling things how they are. Hated and proud.

    and with regard to what you wrote after the grumbling part - my memory works veeeryyy similar to yours.
    That's cool. We can use this knowledge and tear the16types.info together down.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Oh, didn't get to that part, only read first two sentences. Anyhow, I got in trouble many times due to saying what is on my mind and calling things how they are. Hated and proud.
    No worries, so far you've only managed to amuse me in this "awww, he didn't read that far" sort of way Let's be honest. I do ramble. I do know it. But can't/don't want to help it. So that's why I come up with tl;dr quite often.
    Plus it actually takes conscious effort from someone to evoke a negative reaction in me My SO is ILE, I'm built & trained not to get offended over silly stuff.

    That's cool. We can use this knowledge and tear the16types.info together down.
    haha I guess time will tell...

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    No worries, so far you've only managed to amuse me in this "awww, he didn't read that far" sort of way Let's be honest. I do ramble. I do know it. But can't/don't want to help it. So that's why I come up with tl;dr quite often.
    Plus it actually takes conscious effort from someone to evoke a negative reaction in me My SO is ILE, I'm built & trained not to get offended over silly stuff.
    Nothing personal. I get that with at least over a half of the population on this forum.

    haha I guess time will tell...
    I thought I am SLI before registering on this forum, so some of that stuff you wrote about may have some significance or absolutely none. Anyhow, time to plunder and pillage now.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Nothing personal. I get that with at least over a half of the population on this forum.
    Your life here sounds fun!

    I thought I am SLI before registering on this forum, so some of that stuff you wrote about may have some significance or absolutely none.
    Yeah, true. Again, time and so on... I'm pretty certain my SO is ILE, more inclined to question my own type, if anything. It's always more difficult to look from a perspective on oneself, I guess.

    Anyhow, time to plunder and pillage now.
    Haha, yeah, go enjoy yourself

  26. #26
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,633
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    @FDG wow, that's actually interesting, I've heard on ENTj say this before irl. Have you taken any tests or tried to assess the strength of your particular functions? I'm more curious if it's function-related (namely: Si, any chance that despite it supposedly being Polr maybe it is developed?), rather than type-related tbh.
    Are you sure you're not confusing MBTI Si with Socionics Si? A detail-oriented ability to memorize fact does not pertain to the functional "properties" of socionics' Si, as far as I know.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are you sure you're not confusing MBTI Si with Socionics Si? A detail-oriented ability to memorize fact does not pertain to the functional "properties" of socionics' Si, as far as I know.
    Oops, you're right, that's exactly what I did.
    Hmm, so do you associate sponge-like memory with any particular function in socionics or do you think it is both ntr and not really possible to pin point a function for it, either?

  28. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    Your life here sounds fun!
    Well, hardly consider the forum a life. but it is entertaining, I have to admit.

    I'm pretty certain my SO is ILE, more inclined to question my own type, if anything. It's always more difficult to look from a perspective on oneself, I guess.
    Heh, I'm not here to question your type.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Well, hardly consider the forum a life. but it is entertaining, I have to admit.
    lol, that's why I said "life here", as in "forum life". If I had thought there was a chance you actually considered it life, I wouldn't have said it sounds fun

    Heh, I'm not here to question your type.
    I figured as much, but I need to post semi-random comments here and there when a thought springs to mind after reading sth you (or smn else) said
    Anyway, it's always interesting to hear an opinion. So if you feel like questioning it some later time, feel free. (I don't even know why I wrote that, actually. Judging by the comments, you'll write what you think when you want to, anyway )

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    Anyway, it's always interesting to hear an opinion. So if you feel like questioning it some later time, feel free. (I don't even know why I wrote that, actually. Judging by the comments, you'll write what you think when you want to, anyway )
    Full interrogation planned...

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Full interrogation planned...
    lol, I guess I'll brace myself for the future then

  32. #32
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    As far as memory itself goes of life story and events, my memory is highly episodic in nature and very disconnected between episodes, however vivid and detailed those might be. I often don't remember events that others find significant, so that there are often gaps in my story of the past. I don't know how normal or common this is, but my oldest friend can remember some events and actions of my childhood that I can't even recall myself. He said that I blocked stuff out, but I'm not sure I believe that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
    IEIs - in contrast - seem to forget how to do things rather. Operational procedures if you want. Or how to put the dish washer, how to use the coffee machine, etc. It seems as if they think it has to be "learned" and that a procedure must be "memorized" instead of just... doing it. It really is puzzling...
    These things seem very relevant to my experience. I was baller at memorizing things for extremely short periods of time in order to regurgitate them on a test though. However, I was significantly better and more interested in integrating facts to tell a story. For instance, I was meh at memorizing facts for high school history classes freshman and sophomore year. But, when it got to APUSH and the whole ideas was not "learn these facts so you know them" but rather "know enough facts that you can a) understand the question, and b) construct an argument" I was much better at it and much more interested in it. I guess the best way to put it is that I memorize best through narrative. That way, kinda every fact supports another fact, and by remembering one part, I can sort of reconstruct the other. I know x, so y must be true for x to be true, oh and I remember t and w, so somehow there must be a way to figure out u and v from those... That's basically how I did every test in high school. What must be true in order to make what we know to be true, true? How does all the knowledge hang together?

    Oh, and I memorize song lyrics super easily, and I memorize LOTS of poetry, sometimes unconsciously, but I think that's because the poetry relates to me/means something to me. So that makes the memorizing more natural. Otherwise it'd be that very short term memory where I can regurgitate it on a test but if you ask me a week later the info will have been long since deleted.

    Also I VERY MUCH fall prey to that thing where "if I can look it up quickly, I won't learn it." That doesn't really happen for memorizing poems, but basically everything else. Why would I hold that piece of information in my brain when I could look it up? There are things I take pride in having memorized thoroughly though, mostly subfields that I care a lot about so I take pride in having a thorough knowledge of them, i.e., poetry and musicals. But even then, I don't think I have the same kind of encyclopedic knowledge that a person with a real brain for facts would have. Like, I don't know how many performances Chorus Line ran for, only that it had the record until Cats/Phantom (15yrs from '75 to '90). Also also, when I try to remember a fact that isn't immediately coming to mind, it's normally a visual memory of something I've read that I'm reconstructing, rather than somehow accessing the "pure fact." When I just know the fact, it's normally as a part of a narrative, a remember stretch of sentences from a book, often, like the chorus line thing, which I know because of a terrible whiny book that talked about how chorus line closing was an emblem of musical theater dying (and I mean it did kinda suck for a lot of the 90s).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    SEI E6 ISFJ
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    I have very similar experiences to the ones described by @sweetgingerpeach and @Absurd. Once I learned about Si, I kind of associated my memory with that function... (don't know if correctly, but the idea seems to work).
    I'm like a sponge, people sometimes get surprised or joke around with me and "test" me - how do you remember that? I just do. I need to pay attention to what is going on around me or what someone is saying or what I'm reading and that's it. In high school I just needed to be present in class and then maybe quickly browse through the notes to get top scores in the test the next day.

    Long term is a bit tricky though. I can accumulate lots & lots of info I consider bs and still score well in a test, but like @sweetgingerpeach said, it kind of washes out of my memory quite soon later on (although "refreshing" does bring it back after some time). When it comes to stuff that interests me, I tend to remember it long term fairly easily, and if it's a long time between the events of me using it, then I don't need to "refresh" it as much, it's more like a trigger or dragging out a spaghetti, the longer I drag, the more I remember, lol.

    That being said, while it helped tremendously at high school/academia, this kind of memory is a bitch irl sometimes. I remember a ton of trivia about people (it proved useful for gift-giving) as people are my "interest" I guess... But when something bad happens and scars me emotionally, I remember it all too well for the longest time and need to make a conscious effort not to replay it in my head. Let's say smn I value was nasty to me. I'll probably remember it for the rest of my life and be able to recall it with all the facial expressions, exact words, tone of the voice, time of the day, lighting in the room, blah blah blah. I might forgive from the depth of my heart and/or I actually might not care about the person anymore, but despite wanting to - I won't forget. This makes finding ways to make good memories quite vital, cause then I can consciously push the bad memory out of my focus and concentrate on some good memory. It's pointless clinging to old bad memories, but the void after pushing one out of the picture needs to be filled with sth good, otherwise the bad one just comes back like a boomerang and steals attention.

    Also, I've been told by an ILE that sometimes smells trigger his memory, same happens with me, but it seems that while our memory works similar sometimes, his "sponge-like" capabilities are much weaker and I guess it's consistent with Si being his 4th function and my 1st... hm. He needs to understand in order to remember (so maybe more of Ti usage for memorising? or Si-Ti combo?) and I can memorize without understanding. Although when it comes to maths etc. obviously I need to understand too if the memory's supposed to turn into knowledge to build on (so I guess then I employ Ti, too).


    TL;DR - imho Si is probably the function associated with the sponge-like memory. Si-Ti combo would be responsible for learning via remembering & understanding (so logical subjects when recalling data is not enough). Hmm?
    I completely relate to this soooo much haha
    I'm not sure that remembering bad experiences would necessarily have to do with type, since I think anyone could remember the details of an event if it was strongly emotional (ex. something traumatic, or happy, or angry). But other than that, definitely agree with everything you said there

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i remember everything .................................................. ..........
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  35. #35
    killer wolf lemontrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    emotionz
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am scatterbrained and remember nothing.

    Except hindsight-amplified negative emotions and random stuff that used to relate to phases of obsessions that I would go through (i.e. obscure fashion models.)

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I am scatterbrained and remember nothing.

    Except hindsight-amplified negative emotions and random stuff that used to relate to phases of obsessions that I would go through (i.e. obscure fashion models.)
    ok, so that effectively killed my theory with relation to Si or Ti-Si for that matter (alright, what FDG said already kind of killed it, but this is the last nail in the coffin).
    oh, well...

  37. #37
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,480
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have very good control over my memory. It's harder for me to forget things than to remember them.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  38. #38
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Berlin
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Not type related imho. I have Si PoLR (supposedly) but an awesome visual and auditory memory (f.e. I relate 100% to what Aisa recounts). I can sometimes remember the tiniest details of places I've only been once, or remember a specific conversation I had with someone years ago (even if this convo was completely unimportant).
    I know you used to type SLE at some point when I checked this forum to read about socionics. I wonder how you turned to LIE. That´s what you seem anyway, just curious.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •