Thread: Type My Bestfriend/Dual

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type My Bestfriend/Dual

I've been having trouble typing myself, because I read the descriptions, unconsciously scan for the general statements, and go, "That could be me!" I think it's fairly useless for me to present myself for typing at this point, because I'll just present the elements of myself that I want the internet echo chamber to type me as. So, I decided the best way to figure out my type is to ask for the type of the person that has to be my dual, at least for the theory to hold water for me: my best friend of over a decade.

-He works part time at Verizon as a commission salesman. He's incredibly good at working on short psychological distances with his customers, getting people to buy crap they don't need, and getting them amped up about this new gadget or that one.
    -Most people think of him as kind of a sleazy used car salesman or something, but it doesn't bother me.
    -He's obsessed with power, and is usually jockeying for a leadership position in whatever organization he is part of.
    -He's somewhat metrosexual
    -He's under twenty and his list of sexual conquests rank in the double digits. In other words, he's a man whore.
    -He's terrible at school, math and finances.
    -He's frivolous with his money, and I often have to tell him not to buy things.
    -He owns a Camaro which he drives incredibly recklessly, but is still a 100x better driver than me.
    -He drinks black coffee because he thinks it gives him an edge in business, and is constantly analyzing people's body language
    -I make a lot of social faux pas, and he's usually fiercely protective of my reputation when this happens.
    -He doesn't get along very well with his ST dad (who builds cars from scratch, fixes machines for a living, is prone to violent bursts of seemingly Fe+ anger, while also being somewhat sentimental about the 50's era in an Si way)
    -He's kicked my ass a couple of times. I had a good time
    -He hoards books like a fiend, but doesn't read them
    -For awhile, the two of us tried to create a competitor to Facebook and Twitter as a get-rich-quick scheme
    -We used to be in a band, with him playing the flashy guitar part, and me, the plodding, get-there-eventually bass.
    -He once told me "If there's work to be done, you should go out and do it."
    -He likes some Si-seeming shit, like incense and such.
    -He's into some weird Ni stuff like the paranormal, too.
    -Despite being a physical person, he's not very good at sports.

Cue tl;dr and "Just bang already" posts. Regardless, thanks for the help, 16types.
    Last edited by Whoobie77; 01-26-2014 at 04:53 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible that you are not duals, rather just people who get along extremely well. Given this, as well as the fact that we can only really go on your perceptions of him as opposed to typing him from his own perceptions, it's better to look at yourself in order to find your type.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

from that basic profile ....so far I'd say Se base, maybe SeFi. However I agree with everything said in the previous post ...and I don't necessarily recommend self-typing "by dual" lol. You can get along with people based on affinity , don't take socionics too seriously in this respect.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    don't take socionics too seriously in this respect.
    I'm a firm believer in what Nassim Nicholas Taleb called "procrustean beds" ie that is more likely that the model is wrong if it does not fit the world, not vice versa. I'm not going to stop being friends with somebody based on socionics type. I'm just putting the system through the "stress test" to see if it is a worthwhile heuristic or not. Jeez.

I always hate when people look at something and say "don't take it seriously, it's just for shits and giggles" about any pursuit. If I find something worth any SLIVER of my very limited life force, I'm probably going to take it seriously.

Also, this subforum is for "discussing the types of forum members and people they know."

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoobie77 View Post
    I've been having trouble typing myself, because I read the descriptions, unconsciously scan for the general statements, and go, "That could be me!" I think it's fairly useless for me to present myself for typing at this point, because I'll just present the elements of myself that I want the internet echo chamber to type me as. So, I decided the best way to figure out my type is to ask for the type of the person that has to be my dual, at least for the theory to hold water for me: my best friend of over a decade.

-He works part time at Verizon as a commission salesman. He's incredibly good at working on short psychological distances with his customers, getting people to buy crap they don't need, and getting them amped up about this new gadget or that one.
    -Most people think of him as kind of a sleazy used car salesman or something, but it doesn't bother me.
    -He's obsessed with power, and is usually jockeying for a leadership position in whatever organization he is part of.
    -He's under twenty and his list of sexual conquests rank in the double digits. In other words, he's a man whore.
    -He owns a Camaro which he drives incredibly recklessly, but is still a 100x better driver than me.
    -He drinks black coffee because he thinks it gives him an edge in business, and is constantly analyzing people's body language
    -I make a lot of social faux pas, and he's usually fiercely protective of my reputation when this happens.
    -He doesn't get along very well with his ST dad (who builds cars from scratch, fixes machines for a living, is prone to violent bursts of seemingly Fe+ anger, while also being somewhat sentimental about the 50's era in an Si way)
    -He's kicked my ass a couple of times. I had a good time
    -He hoards books like a fiend, but doesn't read them
    -For awhile, the two of us tried to create a competitor to Facebook and Twitter as a get-rich-quick scheme
    -We used to be in a band, with him playing the flashy guitar part, and me, the plodding, get-there-eventually bass.
    -He once told me "If there's work to be done, you should go out and do it."
    -He likes some Si-seeming shit, like incense and such.
    -He's into some weird Ni stuff like the paranormal, too.
    -Despite being a physical person, he's not very good at sports.

Cue tl;dr and "Just bang already" posts. Regardless, thanks for the help, 16types.
    Based on some of what your wrote, I would say his type could be SEE. Is ILI a type you have considered for yourself?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Based on some of what your wrote, I would say his type could be SEE. Is ILI a type you have considered for yourself?
    Yeah, the reason why I first got into socionics was because how stunningly accurate a description I thought the ILI stuff was.

A lack of a clear definition on the difference between Ne and Ni has made me only sure that I'm an intuitive. Si, though, seems like a boring and overly conservative function...so...

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lack of a clear definition on the difference between Ne and Ni has made me only sure that I'm an intuitive. Si, though, seems like a boring and overly conservative function...so...
    My typing journey led me to NF then Beta NF. Since I relate to both EIE and IEI descriptions, one of the things that helped me narrow it down to EIE was whether a good friend of mine was my dual or my activity partner. So I don't have a problem with that approach as a part of the puzzle.

Ne/Ni distinctions are difficult for me, but when I am with Ne valuing types, I can often sense their distain for my Ni critical or warning attitude in some situations. An EII friend, with Ni as his demonstrative function, told me that he can appreciate Ni, but in some situations, wants to continue expanding Ne forward, because he could be wrong about the Ni considerations.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

none of what you wrote is type related.
    Things that are type related:

1. does he often talk about what he does or who he is?
    2. ask him to help you on a design project...see how his methodology in approaching the task is. Does he prepare everything in advance before he proceeds, does he just want to go and experience?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

could be EIE and very likely e7 (experience/adventure/pleasure seeker), EIEs would be protective over reps of their friends as you've described of him, and conversely destructive of reps of whomever landed on their hate list ... there is some similarity among types that are part of same supervision ring such that they can be mistaken for SEIs

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Who are you and where have you been all my life? Another post I agree with, as I was thinking strongly for SEE also. You seem pretty good at typing for a new person who's only joined this month.

Initially reading it, I was thinking SLE. But a couple red flags for that typing are being bad at 'school, math, and finances' as well as 'being bad at sports'. I tend to find that SLEs are able to use their Ti to be analytical enough to get what they want, and are usually adept at finances & money as they are often related to power plays for status. And in general, stereotypically STs are good at sports or games which requires quick, decisive logic and movement of the body at once.

Anyway, SEE seems like a good typing for him based on what you wrote. Very sociable, attentive to power/motivation/sales, closing short psychological distances between people, metrosexual & Se-ego for valuing his appearance so much, impulsive & pleasure-seeking.

Btw, for extra credit - his dad whom he doesn't get along with sounds like his supervisor, an LSI hands-on mechanical fixer-upper type.
    You said almost everything I was thinking.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    could be EIE and very likely e7 (experience/adventure/pleasure seeker), EIEs would be protective over reps of their friends as you've described of him, and conversely destructive of reps of whomever landed on their hate list ... there is some similarity among types that are part of same supervision ring such that they can be mistaken for SEIs
    Speaking as an EIE, I can relate to many things in that description, including the importance of reputation, but where I would differ is that I would be interested in the fun of finding out what someone needed and selling that to them. I would not feel right selling them something they did not need. Also, I was a good student, kind of geekily earnest about some things, in a way that SEEs don't care to be. The earnestness is something that I see as more of a beta value than gamma. Probably didn't state that very well, but my SEE friends kind of tease me for that. Thinking about the power obsession and may comment on that tomorrow.
    Last edited by Iris; 01-27-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been selling phones at various companies since 2010, and I've encountered skilled salespeople of all different types.

That could be said about any type.

Can we really attribute "ambition" to a specific function or type?

"Somewhat metrosexual" could mean "fashion conscious" or "borderline bi", or anything in between. Be more specific.

We live in an age of whores and man whores of all different types.

Does he not get it or does he just not care about it?

So are lots of people, and so do lots of people. Of. All. Different. Types.

Fact: all men are better drivers than all women.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a firm believer in what Nassim Nicholas Taleb called "procrustean beds" ie that is more likely that the model is wrong if it does not fit the world, not vice versa. I'm not going to stop being friends with somebody based on socionics type. I'm just putting the system through the "stress test" to see if it is a worthwhile heuristic or not. Jeez.

I always hate when people look at something and say "don't take it seriously, it's just for shits and giggles" about any pursuit. If I find something worth any SLIVER of my very limited life force, I'm probably going to take it seriously.

Also, this subforum is for "discussing the types of forum members and people they know."
    I liked the part on Procustian beds, that was quite smart.

Measured against reality, to my mind Socionics is flawed ...in the duality myth more than in other aspects. I guess not many are here "just for giggles", but cause they wanna explore this splendid Russian-based system.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Speaking as an EIE, I can relate to many things in that description, including the importance of reputation, but where I would differ is that I would be interested in the fun of finding out what someone needed and selling that to them. I would not feel right selling them something they did not need. Also, I was a good student, kind of geekily earnest about some things, in a way that SEEs don't care to be. The earnestness is something that I see as more of a beta value than gamma. Probably didn't state that very well, but my SEE friends kind of tease me for that. Thinking about the power obsession and may comment on that tomorrow.
    as an extravert with Se quadra value, EIE could be interested in power, yes. Long-term position in a group with a goal they have in mind, I would say. But in my experience N-s usually do well in school and are also likely to be after some kind of knowledge for its own sake. Si can also do well , they can be conscientious and have good grasp of data, great memory.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Bloem View Post

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post

Btw, for extra credit - his dad whom he doesn't get along with sounds like his supervisor, an LSI hands-on mechanical fixer-upper type.
    I've always thought his dad was a classic LSI. Which disinclined me against believing we were SLE/IEI. But I've know that SLIs, as part of the Pragmatist club, have a proclivity for these kind of things as well, which eroded absolute certainty in me.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a dude

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    could be EIE
    I doubt EIE. EIEs tend to dislike me because I have a dry wit which is very un-Fe (Here's an example: Back when I was a no-nothing, stupid young teenager, this girl who had gone through a breakup was drawing a picture of heart. As a joke, I put a line through it or something. She said to me, "You ruined my heart" and I went "Nah, so-and-so already did that". The EIE who was hanging out with us was not amused). I tend to be wary of EIEs because they are shapeshifters, and I can't tell when they are being genuine.

My supposed dual, on the other hand, when he anticipates that I'm going to do something un-Fe, he says, "If you do x, we aren't friends anymore". That's how he puts pressure on me. If I still stick my foot in my mouth, he'll get over it pretty quickly, and, if at a later date, someone says, "Whoobie77 is an asshole..." he will say, "What he really meant was,,," We've got the Fi thing where, despite some surface level quarrels, our friendship is pretty stable.

Also, I don't think he is duals with his dad (who I believe to be LSI). They have communication discrepancies.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a dude
    I saw "impractical liberal arts" and just kind of assumed. d'oh!

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw "impractical liberal arts" and just kind of assumed. d'oh!
    I'm not at Vassar lol. There are other beings with a Y chromosome here. In fact, there's a Crossfit junkie military hard dude SLE right next door haha

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not at Vassar lol. There are other beings with a Y chromosome here. In fact, there's a Crossfit junkie military hard dude SLE right next door haha
    lol does he teach military history or physical education?

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a cute Gamma irrational pair

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My female SLI friend drives like my SLI ex...like a race car driver on the road
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html