Thread: Question about Emotivist / Constructivist

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about Emotivist / Constructivist

Awhile ago I came across a description of Emotivism/Constructivism that actually coincided with something I've observed in real life! Imagine that!

The idea was that Emotivists "speak in two voices": that when discussing "business" topics, they speak in a low, monotone voice, but when discussing "other" topics their voices become "higher" and "more emotional". It is as if they "switch" from one "mode" to another.

Constructivists, on the other hand, "speak in one voice". Whether discussing "business" or "other" topics, they speak in the same voice. There is no "switching" between "modes".

Sorry for the shitty explanation, the person who originally described the dichotomy in this manner did a much better job than I did.

Anyway, the reason I made this topic is because I can't fucking find that description! I clearly remember reading this information, but I have no clue as to where I found it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'd have to watch and observe this.

TIM
    SEER ~ 458 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

Are you asking about people who use expressive tone vs monotone all the time?

Linguistics is a broad subject and even when people are perceived as using "one voice" there are still layers upon layers.

People who do not vary are often viewed in a less flattering light, from what I read.

"When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I'd have to watch and observe this.
    It's super easy to spot. I just wish I could find the original post about this!

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, it is worded a bit differently (in fact, it has nothing to do with "voice inflection"), but I found it nevertheless! Thanks @labcoat!

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    In Emotivists, Serious Strong functions are Focal and Merry Strong functions are Diffuse. Focal and Serious both refer to a character of, well, "seriousness", so in Emotivists the seriousness is very well compartmentalized. There is a very clear distinction between when the person is being Serious and when s/he is joking or dramatizing things a little for "fun".
    Add to it my meager contribution:
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Bloem View Post
    Emotivists employ a "low pitch", "monotonous", "business-style" mode of speaking when relating information; their speech takes on an entirely different gradient of tones when they become emotional. It is as if they "switch" between two distinct "modes" of speaking.
    And I'd say that pretty much sums up Emotivism/Constructivism.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool; i had forgotten i'd written that and i agree it is useful.