0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Dave Grohl

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dave Grohl

“Keep you in the dark / You know they all pretend / Keep you in the dark / And so it all began // Send in your skeletons / Sing as their bones go marching in... again . . . . I'm finished making sense / Done pleading ignorance / That whole defense . . . . What if I say I'm not like the others? / What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays? / You're the pretender / What if I say I will never surrender? // In time or so I'm told / I'm just another soul for sale... oh, well / The page is out of print / We are not permanent / We're temporary, temporary / Same old story . . . . I'm the voice inside your head you refuse to hear / I'm the face that you have to face/Mirrored in your stare / I'm what's left, I'm what's right / I'm the enemy . . . . So who are you? . . . . Keep you in the dark / You know they all pretend . . . . What if I say I'm not like the others? / What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays? / You're the pretender / What if I say I will never surrender? . . . . So who are you? / Yeah, who are you? . . . .”

“You know in all of the time that we've shared/I've never been so scared / Doll me up in my bad luck / I'll meet you there / I wish I never had taken this dare / I wasn't quite prepared / Doll me up in my bad luck . . . . I'll meet you there”

“Tonight I'm tangled in my blanket of clouds / Dreaming aloud / Things just won't do without you . . . . If you walk out on me / I'm walking after you / Another heart is cracked in two . . . .”

“I'm hanging on here until I'm gone / I'm right where I belong/Just hanging on / Even though I watched you come and go / How was I to know you'd steal the show? / One day I'll have enough to gamble / I'll wait to hear your final call / (And) bet it all / I'm hanging on here until I'm gone / Right where I belong/Just hanging on / Even though I pass this time alone/Somewhere so unknown / It heals the soul / You ask for walls / I'll build them higher / We'll lie in the shadows of them all / I'd stand but they're much too tall/And I fall / February stars/Floating in the dark/Temporary scars/February stars”

Robert Christgau:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_a...e=Foo+Fighters

The Colour and the Shape [Roswell, 1997]
    Real band, real producer, real lyrics, real pain, and, very important, real talent--put them all together and a solidly satisfying formal exercise follows a vaguely vacant one. Dave Grohl will never sing, play, or care in the same existential realm as Kurt Cobain. But the marital breakup content/concept inspires him to fully inhabit the music that meant so much to him and millions of other Kurt Cobain fans. A-

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace [RCA/Roswell, 2007]
    The real ageist scandal of this year's Grammys wasn't Herbie Hancock, who--unlike Natalie Cole and Tony Bennett in the long-lost '90s--won with the most artistically ambitious album nominee. It was this candid attempt to recapitulate Nirvana Mark II's 10-year-old triumph, The Colour and the Shape, a bonus-cutted reissue of which was released just two months before the Foos' ballyhooed reunion with producer Gil Norton, all of which can be read as the defiant professional credo of The Man Who Invented Nickelback. Kurt was a quitter, but Dave Grohl says he'll "never surrender," just like the download-combatting stalwarts who chose him over Daughtry and Bruce Springsteen. Sure, Grohl is hookier than Nickelback, which is saying something. But he's not as hooky as those bonus cuts, which include Prince and Killing Joke songs, or as intense as his 1997 self. And the well-rounded optimist will go along with the hooky up-and-at-'em of "Cheer Up, Boys" only till he or she notices the subtitle, which is: "(Your Make Up Is Running.") Those emo posers, how dare they? B

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp or ISFp?