Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTjs what do you think about school/education?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    But I'm not sure how much is actually type related since it is hard to find students who actually like grades and page requirements (though I do think that since INTjs are structure oriented, they like to have a sort of ballpark estimate, but resent the page requirement itself if it's taken literally). The page requirement was just an example. INTjs are generally to the point, but can suffer in other areas when writing.

For example, I think that when INTjs sometimes present their ideas they see them as being sort of self-evident. This is because they have logically internalized their ideas to such an extent that they have already gone through the arguments in their heads (and often in advance of when they have started the paper). Because of this, INTjs may not properly support their argument with sources and other supplementary reasoning that generally makes for a more cohesive paper. Though I should take this time to say this is merely a level of speculation. Almost all of my high school and collegiate papers have been marked with "Great ideas, excellent analytical and critical thinking, but argument needs more support."

And INTjs may lack the skill to transition between arguments, not because they can't, but because once they finish an argument they immediately follow to the next. A sort of "It's done. I made my point, and if you don't understand what I'm talking about you're an idiot. So on to my next point." This is obviously an exaggeration, but I do think that there is a level of belief that their ideas should be self-evident.

In a sort of odd twist, I think that INTjs may be better with dealing with people one-on-one than they are with papers, because of the different styles between how an INTj may be accustomed to debating with people and the writing style of papers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    While [the discussion] is going on the INTj is almost trying to guide the discussant to step out of the box, see the big picture, and try and strip away certain societal prejudices that may interfere with seeing the idea (or at least the idea according to them). In this manner, this is probably very similar to an INTp's style of debating with bouncing questions and forcing the discussant to find their own answers. But again, the problem may be that once the INTj gets the other person to this point, they may expect the discussant to undergo a sudden epiphany which will not always happen. In which case, the INTj will either delve deeper or simply give up in frustration if they feel as if they have made little progress.
    All of this describes me perfectly.

It seems to me like INTjs have one of two attitudes toward school: either a) become an perfectionistic overachiever, sacrificing focus on long-term goals for short-term success, or b) become a slacker and do a half-assed job, enough to do well, but not so little as to fail. Kirana, the way you describe yourself I assume you fell into the first category?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well... if i had to choose between the two, then yes, the first category. but i wouldn't say i sacrificed long-term goals exactly. in the sense that at that time i didn't have long term goals, then yeah. but then again, any long-term goal that i would want involves getting a university degree.

i don't know how it is where you guys are, but in my country competition to get into university is fierce, and to get into certain courses even more fierce, and the test grading gets gentler and gentler (probably so politicians can declare increases in numbers of straight A students) - too gentle to separate the bunch of top achievers (i mean, if they are all straight As, how do you differentiate?) and the test set-up does not really differentiate between students who really are capable of knowing and understanding knowledge, and those that simply regurgitate. so in order to get into university i decided i must sacrifice short-term pleasure (actually learning things i find fun, and actually answering questions the way i want to instead of what fits the 'schematic' answer) in order to gain a medium-term goal (university). that was why i loved classes like English, which was much more tolerant of answers and essays that are original and does not necessarily fit the prepared answer. and since my English teachers also seemed to enjoy original essays when they get them (it must be boring to grade stories and essays that are like carbon copies of each other), it was a mutually-beneficial thing. anyway, since i wasn't much of a sportsman, and extra-curricular activities were more dependent on popularity and let's face it, my people skills as a teenager wasn't great at all - not unusual for INTjs - my only real currency was my academic intelligence.

still, that does not mean that i didn't also get obsessed with getting perfect scores. i got over it in my third year in university, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12