Thread: Male enneagram type 8s on this board

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Male enneagram type 8s on this board

There are pretty many 8s on this board. Can someone tell me why this board is so attractive to male 8s?

To be honest I think 8 is the most common mistyping for males and that's the reason why there are so many 8s on this board. I don't suspect someone in particular.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't speak for others, but I don't know why I do what I do, so I read typology to try and figure it out. And last I checked there were only like, 3 or 4 of us here. Compare that to the number of E4's sometime.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

not sure
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    There are pretty many 8s on this board. Can someone tell me why this board is so attractive to male 8s?

To be honest I think 8 is the most common mistyping for males and that's the reason why there are so many 8s on this board. I don't suspect someone in particular.
    it is indeed weird. Shouldn't they be almost constantly DOING something? pulling up a nasty plan or revolution, leading some group to perdition at least. Maybe they are just 6s in disguise. Trying to appease their mental anxiety with Socionics healing sap of understanding .

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would a male want to be a type 8? Isn't 7w8 tremendously better?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^ oh no. 7w8 is the type that cannot postpone orgasm cause they get bored . and simultaneously turn that into a power trip.

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    I don't speak for others, but I don't know why I do what I do, so I read typology to try and figure it out. And last I checked there were only like, 3 or 4 of us here. Compare that to the number of E4's sometime.
    Yes, but lots of E4s on a Socionics-Forum makes sense

It's just that IRL it's pretty easy to type 8s. The only other types you could mistake for a 8 are 7w8s and 6s. But you'll figure it out soon espcially with 6s. Obviously it's tougher to type via internet.

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    it is indeed weird. Shouldn't they be almost constantly DOING something? pulling up a nasty plan or revolution, leading some group to perdition at least. Maybe they are just 6s in disguise. Trying to appease their mental anxiety with Socionics healing sap of understanding .
    It's the way experience 8s IRL. I don't see any of them on a socionics-board. 8 is very a common type among doorkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Why would a male want to be a type 8? Isn't 7w8 tremendously better?
    Fighter 8
    Lover 7w8

your choice but 8 is manlier

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think the danger in mistyping as 8 only comes about if you idealize them as bastions of masculinity. I personally don't, so I have no issue with having my type set as 8. It is the best fit.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fighter 8
    Lover 7w8

your choice but 8 is manlier
    I've never experienced 7w8 like this . Only like Peter Pans . Lots of erratic energy. A bit softer than 8s, but more childish.

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never experienced 7w8 like this . Only like Peter Pans . Lots of erratic energy. A bit softer than 8s, but more childish.
    For this phrase Lover=Player

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i speculate that a lot of males wish to think of themselves as an enneagram 8 — mainly due to associating it with independence and masculinity, as Narc mentioned. however, i highly doubt that any male 8 would spend much time on a forum such as this.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Type 8s seem to fall into the same stereotype trap as SLEs and LIEs of being these total superhumans or whatever, but you have to realise, it's real people walking around with these types and they're not all going to be significant people by any stretch of the imagination.

8s are basically just people that are independent, would probably step in and lead if nobody more skilled was at hand and are probably more likely to be irritable than anxious or exuberant. I don't think that makes them stand out too much from others, particularly in those intermediary levels of emotional health, where there isn't going to be much that stands out super positively or negatively (where antisocial traits are going to manifest).

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's what DaftPunk was trying to say.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

personally I find CF 6 more similar to 8s in terms of energy expanded and projected outward. More than 7w8. I'd be surprised to find out ENTJ 7s btw. SLEs 7s is commonplace. I've dated them. I prefer E 3 more deliberate style to E7, even when they beg for appreciation in their own way.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally I find CF 6 more similar to 8s in terms of energy expanded and projected outward. More than 7w8. I'd be surprised to find out ENTJ 7s btw.
    I'm ENTj 7w8. But I don't put that much stock in the enneagramm anymore, it seems to be disconnected to potentially "real" neurological patterns.

TIM
    8w7 sx|so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8's come here for the women, obviously.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrey View Post
    8's come here for the women, obviously.
    lol really? Is it such a good place for trolling in order to enhance the feeling of manly power

TIM
    8w7 sx|so
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol really? Is it such a good place for trolling in order to enhance the feeling of manly power
    It was a joke, or are you not good with subtle humor?

This forum seems to be mostly Gamma/Deltas. I'd imagine the majority of 8's/8-wings would be found in these quadras, barring strong Beta-ST's, of which there are only a few.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This forum seems to be mostly Gamma/Deltas. I'd imagine the majority of 8's/8-wings would be found in these quadras, barring strong Beta-ST's, of which there are only a few.
    nope, subtle humor is not my strong point . Being overly preoccupied with Beta STs is kinda lame.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    I think the danger in mistyping as 8 only comes about if you idealize them as bastions of masculinity. I personally don't, so I have no issue with having my type set as 8. It is the best fit.
    This. The only real advantage 8's have over others is that we don't have the same ego problems as other types. Life wouldn't be as super if these same people actually understood what our problems were. I think I read somewhere that Sx/So's are kinda feminine. I don't particularly identify with feeling feminine but I do enjoy the cleanshaven pretty boy look more than the delta dirty sanchez approach. Its unhelpful that most of the descriptions out there of 8w7's are stuff like, "THESE GUYS ARE THE HARDEST OF HARD BADASS MOFO...."

It doesn't help that the SLE descriptions paint us as superman walking refridgerators either.

I'm not saying these are false, I certainly have times where I feel superhuman, but there seems to be an image that people are associating with these types and if you don't show an indication of that image then you can't possibly be the type.

I had to join secret forums of like minded individuals in order to get some actual answers, because most of my time spent online in forums asking questions is wading through hoards of people telling me I'm not the type I am because I don't fit some stereotype. Its completely infuriating to be open about my problems and have people use that opportunity to tear me down. /rant

I think this forum could take some notes from typologycentral in this respect. They got ENFp 8w7's and ENTp 1w2's and people claiming to be types you didn't think were possible. Step in here for a minute and there is suddenly this strict adherence to beliefs like, All IEI's are 4's, all LII's are 5's, etc. People seem to be more focused on solving others' types and not their own.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    i speculate that a lot of males wish to think of themselves as an enneagram 8 — mainly due to associating it with independence and masculinity, as Narc mentioned. however, i highly doubt that any male 8 would spend much time on a forum such as this.
    Concerning the 8s I know this is certainly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Type 8s seem to fall into the same stereotype trap as SLEs and LIEs of being these total superhumans or whatever, but you have to realise, it's real people walking around with these types and they're not all going to be significant people by any stretch of the imagination.

8s are basically just people that are independent, would probably step in and lead if nobody more skilled was at hand and are probably more likely to be irritable than anxious or exuberant. I don't think that makes them stand out too much from others, particularly in those intermediary levels of emotional health, where there isn't going to be much that stands out super positively or negatively (where antisocial traits are going to manifest).
    I don't think it's so much about superhuman but manliness. I can't help but I don't know a 8 I wouldn't name manly but on the other hand they're also a bit to rude

You're wrong about the distribution. IMO it's pretty equal with a bit less Gammas. Don't forget that IEI are Beta and legion .
    IMO Types that are often 8s are SLE, LIE, LSI and types where 8s aren't a rarety SEE, LSE(I think they are far more often 1,3 and 6) ESTj 8 is IMO only common for the MBTI ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    This. The only real advantage 8's have over others is that we don't have the same ego problems as other types. Life wouldn't be as super if these same people actually understood what our problems were. I think I read somewhere that Sx/So's are kinda feminine. I don't particularly identify with feeling feminine but I do enjoy the cleanshaven pretty boy look more than the delta dirty sanchez approach. Its unhelpful that most of the descriptions out there of 8w7's are stuff like, "THESE GUYS ARE THE HARDEST OF HARD BADASS MOFO...."

It doesn't help that the SLE descriptions paint us as superman walking refridgerators either.

I'm not saying these are false, I certainly have times where I feel superhuman, but there seems to be an image that people are associating with these types and if you don't show an indication of that image then you can't possibly be the type.

I had to join secret forums of like minded individuals in order to get some actual answers, because most of my time spent online in forums asking questions is wading through hoards of people telling me I'm not the type I am because I don't fit some stereotype. Its completely infuriating to be open about my problems and have people use that opportunity to tear me down. /rant

I think this forum could take some notes from typologycentral in this respect. They got ENFp 8w7's and ENTp 1w2's and people claiming to be types you didn't think were possible. Step in here for a minute and there is suddenly this strict adherence to beliefs like, All IEI's are 4's, all LII's are 5's, etc. People seem to be more focused on solving others' types and not their own.
    Of course there are many possibilities but when the exception becomes the rule something's wrong.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Concerning the 8s I know this is certainly true.

I don't think it's so much about superhuman but manliness. I can't help but I don't know a 8 I wouldn't name manly but on the other hand they're also a bit to rude

You're wrong about the distribution. IMO it's pretty equal with a bit less Gammas. Don't forget that IEI are Beta and legion .
    IMO Types that are often 8s are SLE, LIE, LSI and types where 8s aren't a rarety SEE, LSE(I think they are far more often 1,3 and 6) ESTj 8 is IMO only common for the MBTI ESTJ

Of course there are many possibilities but when the exception becomes the rule something's wrong.
    So far the most relaxed, self-assured, wisest and unconcerned retort was Narc's.

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    You'll find lots of 'Challengers' with big epeens on the internet.
    true not so much on this board though

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaa.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You're right, 8s don't frequent these communities. Naranjo speaks of it in the last 3 minutes of this presentation Enneagram Subtypes when he asks those of type 8 in the audience raise their hand, then says that he would have to disagree with some of them and adding that he doesn't meet so many 8s in his practice of teaching enneagram. I've noticed this myself, that there are certainly more males mistyping into type 8 and that actual 8s are much fewer, with the non-natives coming up with ways to redefine the type such that it would fit their self-concept and personality. It is one of the most misunderstood types by virtue of being so misrepresented and in addition so diluted. However, there are still a few of 8s around these boards. For example, one of the admins of Personality Cafe, one of the largest typology forums, who goes by the nick of TreeBob is an ESTP e8.

It's the way experience 8s IRL. I don't see any of them on a socionics-board. 8 is very a common type among doorkeepers
    If they were all pirates, kings, and bouncers that would make 8s a very one-dimensional type. Luckily they come with wings and pts. of integration/disintegration, as any other type, and can experience other motivations in their life. This type disintegrates into head triad, so it's not uncommon for a dispirited 8 to get down to reading and reflection, while the wing of 8w9s can lead to an interest in the metaphysical and the occult.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    You're right, 8s don't frequent these communities. Naranjo speaks of it in the last 3 minutes of this presentation Enneagram Subtypes when he asks those of type 8 in the audience raise their hand, then says that he would have to disagree with some of them and adding that he doesn't meet so many 8s in his practice of teaching enneagram. I've noticed this myself, that there are certainly more males mistyping into type 8 and that actual 8s are much fewer, with the non-natives coming up with ways to redefine the type such that it would fit their self-concept and personality. It is one of the most misunderstood types by virtue of being so misrepresented and in addition so diluted. However, there are still a few of 8s around these boards. For example, one of the admins of Personality Cafe, one of the largest typology forums, who goes by the nick of TreeBob is an ESTP e8.

If they were all pirates, kings, and bouncers that would make 8s a very one-dimensional type. Luckily they come with wings and pts. of integration/disintegration, as any other type, and can experience other motivations in their life. This type disintegrates into head triad, so it's not uncommon for a dispirited 8 to get down to reading and reflection, while the wing of 8w9s can lead to an interest in the metaphysical and the occult.
    They do, but they leave early Tom that LSE guy was one of them
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    8 disintegrating to 5 could be into that kind of stuff, but their aggressiveness would be a bit toned down to a more withdrawn and reflective attitude. I don't expect a disintegrating 8 to be a show-off.
    All in all I agree not necessarily that there are not so many real 8s on this forum, but definitely with the idea that 8 is a type that overlaps with the image of what many men think they should be like. It's not hard to tell how much energy one consumes when trying to "behave like an 8" and live up to stereotypes, how forced the act is. The stereotypes of the 8 are often used as a "model" in the minds of people who want to be 8s or see themselves as 8s .... not so much by those surrounding them.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Seems silly to me, how can you be 'challenging' to somebody over the internets? Even a four could appear intimidating in that sense.

Wouldn't the presence of softer people like Kim and myself viscerally repulse them and keep them away?

because it has submissive 3-4-6 gut meets head triad females