The Reclusive Philosopher Phantom Shadow's Avatar
    TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expressionless: Poker Face + Blank Stare

I have been told that I have always had this trait even as a baby. Is this trait type specific? Or is this unique to me? And what do think or feel when you see someone with this trait and why? I been told that I look like a potential serial killer or sociopath. I took it as a compliment.
    MBTI: INTJ
    Socionics:ILI (Ni-Fi)
    Enneagram Type: 5w4
    Enneagram Tritype: Head-5, Gut-9 Heart-4
    Instinctal Stacking:
    Sp/Sx Mid
    Jung's 12 Archetypes: Self-Sage, Ego-Hero, Soul-Rebel

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my mind goes blank my face is also kind of expressionless and if I need it I can keep up a poker face for quote a long time. But it's only a temporary thing for me.
    If it's type specific it could be connected to low Fe, I think.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Shadow View Post
    I have been told that I have always had this trait even as a baby. Is this trait type specific? Or is this unique to me? And what do think or feel when you see someone with this trait and why? I been told that I look like a potential serial killer or sociopath. I took it as a compliment.
    I think of Fe polr, Ti base or Fi dominant when it's obviously just something situational. In this order. I think of Enneagram 5 if blank stare is backed by knowledge and brilliance. Otherwise I think of Hannibal Lecter.

TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm..interesting...I suppose it doesn't help that its my default face; not to mention being 6ft 5in, elitist, dark, broody, and mysterious. Thank you all for your input, I was just trying to evaluate how my demeanor and persona is affecting people perceptions of me.
    Instinctal Stacking:
    Sp/Sx Mid

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hmm..interesting...I suppose it doesn't help that its my default face; not to mention being 6ft 5in, elitist, dark, broody, and mysterious.
    and thus another dating ad has been submitted to the 16t website

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm..interesting...I suppose it doesn't help that its my default face; not to mention being 6ft 5in, elitist, dark, broody, and mysterious. Thank you all for your input, I was just trying to evaluate how my demeanor and persona is affecting people perceptions of me.

Elitism in a blatant theatrical, often unjustified fashion makes me think of E4 (wings included). Understated or rather implied ... E5. # What can I say, my perceptions are bent to your will now, I'm open, permissive and ready to think you're even EIE. l'll write an encouraging dating review for you just cause you adopted the Magician Jungian archetype.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another factor that may contribute to "stoneface" in people is Asperger syndrome/autism.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's true. I've been told at times that I seem like I could be a serial killer and I was once compared to someone's brother that is "diagnosed" (LOL) with Assburgers. I wouldn't be surprised if people that specialized in autism decided I was on the autism spectrum. I suppose you could be too, but it's kind of a silly thing to get diagnosed with (since it's considered a defect or handicap) considering that you will be a lot more perceptive and intelligent in other ways because of it. IMO, the real problem is that other people want those on the autism spectrum to be a certain way that they are not naturally, rather than it being a handicap that limits their capacity to function on a personal or interpersonal level. It's really a two-way problem, where each person has trouble understanding the other - because telling someone on the autism spectrum that they are handicapped is like telling someone that got raped why it was only "their fault".

But anyway,,,

TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    Elitism in a blatant theatrical, often unjustified fashion makes me think of E4 (wings included). Understated or rather implied ... E5. # What can I say, my perceptions are bent to your will now, I'm open, permissive and ready to think you're even EIE. l'll write an encouraging dating review for you just cause you adopted the Magician Jungian archetype.

Really now... I only appear elitist, dark and broody as a first impression...when people actually get know me I'm more serious/goofy with geek/nerd undertones...As for 12 Archetype Magician comment... I initial chose sage, but after further study... sage focuses on learning, analyzing and teaching everything not actually doing anything...seems more of an LII thing...magician are focus on understanding the underlying principles of the world they actually use there knowledge to do something practical with it... both fit me very well but magician seems more me.
    Instinctal Stacking:
    Sp/Sx Mid

TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inguz View Post
    Another factor that may contribute to "stoneface" in people is Asperger syndrome/autism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackk View Post
    ^ It's true. I've been told at times that I seem like I could be a serial killer and I was once compared to someone's brother that is "diagnosed" (LOL) with Assburgers. I wouldn't be surprised if people that specialized in autism decided I was on the autism spectrum. I suppose you could be too, but it's kind of a silly thing to get diagnosed with (since it's considered a defect or handicap) considering that you will be a lot more perceptive and intelligent in other ways because of it. IMO, the real problem is that other people want those on the autism spectrum to be a certain way that they are not naturally, rather than it being a handicap that limits their capacity to function on a personal or interpersonal level. It's really a two-way problem, where each person has trouble understanding the other - because telling someone on the autism spectrum that they are handicapped is like telling someone that got raped why it was only "their fault".

But anyway,,,
    It possible...but unlikely I think more due the fact that I was emotional neglected as a child. I had mom that doesn't like or wants be a mother; and a father that was always at work. Both are emotional unavailable.
    Instinctal Stacking:
    Sp/Sx Mid

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni can give off that thousand yard stare and Te is infamously emotionless and stoic.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ni can give off that thousand yard stare and Te is infamously emotionless and stoic.
    Ni can appear piercing but a thousand yard stare is a combination of one Pi and one Ji function when the eyes are in the middle and looking up.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen all types with expressionless face...its not vary type dependent, could be how someone is feeling..what they are thinking...drugs, illness,bone structure.

logical types are more prone to it though

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My natural expression is blank most of the time. I change it consciously depending on the situation, and what signals I want to give off. It's exceedingly rare for me to show emotion via my facial expressions involuntarily.

TIM
    Ni-ILI, 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to CognitiveType.com facial expressions, and eye movements are a neurological display of what part of the brain your using, as well as an indicator of what cognitive type you are. Based on what they are saying I'm cognitive type NiTe, which matches my self typing.
    Instinctal Stacking:
    Sp/Sx Mid

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero11 View Post
    Ni can appear piercing but a thousand yard stare is a combination of one Pi and one Ji function when the eyes are in the middle and looking up.
    See, i have to differ from your opinion here.

That Piercing stare, is most characteristic of Se creatives in my experience. They don't look through you, past you, or seem as if they are focused elsewhere. They look directly at you. Entirely & Completely. That's where i've seen the piercing stare the most. From the Se IJs.

I wouldn't call Ni piercing at all. Most of the time they have that look as if they are more in their head than they are focused on you. Because, well, they are. Ni is unfocused on the object. I can't imagine how that would feel piercing to someone.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    See, i have to differ from your opinion here.

That Piercing stare, is most characteristic of Se creatives in my experience. They don't look through you, past you, or seem as if they are focused elsewhere. They look directly at you. Entirely & Completely. That's where i've seen the piercing stare the most. From the Se IJs.

I wouldn't call Ni piercing at all. Most of the time they have that look as if they are more in their head than they are focused on you. Because, well, they are. Ni is unfocused on the object. I can't imagine how that would feel piercing to someone.
    Thats right but if you have you have also so it switches between zoned-out () and locking-on () depending on the strength.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't view this sort of thing as about sadism/empathy or anything like that, I just kinda view it as an introverted thing. You are clearly introverted and focused on your own thoughts and feelings rather then the external energy of other peeps.

That, and only that, in a nutshell- will describe all your social ills and Forever Alone moments because being introverted is a naturally narcissistic thing.

Please turn right so InvisibleJim's secretary can give you the 'Okay so you're an introvert' self-help pamphlet.