Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: What did you think of The Wolf of Wall Street

  1. #1
    bolong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What did you think of The Wolf of Wall Street

    Sorry I know this isn't music art or literature but I didn't want to put it in famous people, and I think it kinda fits in here as a discussion on "culture."

    Anyway, I really didn't like it. It feels like Scorsese just makes the same type of film over and over again. This one felt a lot like goodfellas, same story arc, same personality for the protagonist (probably XLE but who cares the protagonist is just a d-bag). Nothing about it was new or modern, it felt stale and seriously, who depicts women in movies like that anymore? I get that Scorsese thinks the idea of a "confidence man" is truly American, or represents the American experience, but he's so fucking old that his idea of the American story is irrelevant now, plus he's ALREADY TOLD THAT STORY.

    And this: http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2..._prousalis.php

  2. #2
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jordan Belfort is SEE-Se



    He's the one on the right and is now a motivational speaker. It takes a lot of personal charm and ability to do what he did.

    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...bombs-20140102

    I believe the profits/etc are all going to restitutions, so I don't really have a problem with the movie or what is happening.

  3. #3
    bolong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Jordan Belfort is SEE-Se



    He's the one on the right and is now a motivational speaker. It takes a lot of personal charm and ability to do what he did.
    Yeah, they show that in the movie. I thought that was pretty shameless that right after his jail term he's back as a motivational speaker, but then the credits came and the movie is actually based on his own book about himself. There's no limit to his shamelessness, lol.

  4. #4
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is that the movie that dropped the most F-bombs ever?
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  5. #5
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat View Post
    Yeah, they show that in the movie. I thought that was pretty shameless that right after his jail term he's back as a motivational speaker, but then the credits came and the movie is actually based on his own book about himself. There's no limit to his shamelessness, lol.
    I think a lot of people are attracted to a certain level of shamelessness. It's only when you get burned by these people that they learn. I'm not particularly sadden by the people who got ruined by the pump and dump schemes, it's greedy people who did something no sensible investor does.

    Bernie Madoff is a similar version of this guy, and is SEE-Fi, they different a bit in their technique as the method by which Bernie Madoff made his pyramid scheme was to use his personal charm and apparent trustworthiness to navigate family networks which he exploited by getting them to invest with him, it was a very long con. Belfort exploited people's greed and wishful thinking and the promise of a quick buck.

    The most visible ponzi scheme going right now is Bitcoin. There's about 12 million bitcoins in circulation right now and trading volume is tiny, when one of the big players start trying to dump it, that's it.

  6. #6
    bolong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Is that the movie that dropped the most F-bombs ever?
    Possibly. A good chunk of it is also straight porn. My objection isn't based on moral grounds as much as "artistic" ones. Like, what the hell were Martin Scorsese and Leo trying to accomplish here??

  7. #7
    bolong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think a lot of people are attracted to a certain level of shamelessness. It's only when you get burned by these people that they learn. I'm not particularly sadden by the people who got ruined by the pump and dump schemes, it's greedy people who did something no sensible investor does.

    Bernie Madoff is a similar version of this guy, and is SEE-Fi, they different a bit in their technique as the method by which Bernie Madoff made his pyramid scheme was to use his personal charm and apparent trustworthiness to navigate family networks which he exploited by getting them to invest with him, it was a very long con. Belfort exploited people's greed and wishful thinking and the promise of a quick buck.

    The most visible ponzi scheme going right now is Bitcoin. There's about 12 million bitcoins in circulation right now and trading volume is tiny, when one of the big players start trying to dump it, that's it.

    I agree. I'm not morally objecting to how they make money, more their whole personality, how they treat their wives... And like I said above I'm still scratching my head over what the artistic purpose of this movie was.

    Also that's interesting what you say about bitcoin. I had a similar "hunch" but no really knows that much about it to discuss with.

  8. #8
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,469
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat View Post
    Possibly. A good chunk of it is also straight porn. My objection isn't based on moral grounds as much as "artistic" ones. Like, what the hell were Martin Scorsese and Leo trying to accomplish here??
    Now I kind of want to watch it.

    They might have been trying to capture the lifestyle of unchecked vice and immediate gratification. Wall Street fraudsters are notorious for their hedonistic tendencies, including drug use and prostitution.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great acting however it was 3 hours of filth

  10. #10
    strangeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,704
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I liked it. It was obscene, but I could understand the obscenity on some level. It made me jealous of how he was able to get rich; I'd like to know someone like that for the interesting experiences and to get rich and do whatever the fuck I want with my life.

  11. #11
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I LOVED it. I love that sort of character.. and I absolutely adore Scorsese & Leo together, which they pretty much always are. I laughed so hard - loved the incredibly over the top humor. I have a sick admiration for people like him..


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  12. #12
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,700
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good movie, I thought he was Se-SLE based on what I saw from the movie.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  13. #13
    SophiaDeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One of the good movies, though it was too long...I used to really dislike Leo, because he acted in pretty random shitty movies, but now it seems like he found his own voice and started to choose the good ones after he acted in Shutter Island. Anyway I liked the theme of the movie, though the speaches were overly theatrical, like he'd be a priest in a church. Really does anyone buy this? Drugs, sex and money were fine...

  14. #14
    boom boom boom blackburry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,269
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haven't seen it yet. I may or may not... depends on if anyone else I know has downloaded it or wants to see it...not something I'd go out of my way to see.

    He really has no shame tho...seriously... He's a motivational speaker now...?..

  15. #15
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This movie should be called "ESTp THE MOVIE"

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I found this movie sickening on many different levels. And the fact how popular it is and what it leaves some people thinking is just... sad, I guess.
    Misognystic fuckfest of shameless conmen filmed in such a way that makes a lot of the filth look "fun", especially to very young people who haven't yet seen how corporate politics plays out irl life.
    Basically just... ugh.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another reason to kill SLE, but no, no one listens to me.

  18. #18
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's a great movie if you want a history lesson about the standardization of sales technique. He really changed the industry. It'll teach you the JIFs of sales.

    Double points for anyone who can explain the acronym.
    Easy Day

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Two things come to my mind, JWC3, but I better start with the least obvious:

    JUST ILL FOREVER.

    EDIT: There is some rich guy on this forum. He is in music industry. You reckon, we could sell something to him, @JWC3?

  20. #20
    suedehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,024
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    I found this movie sickening on many different levels. And the fact how popular it is and what it leaves some people thinking is just... sad, I guess.
    Misognystic fuckfest of shameless conmen filmed in such a way that makes a lot of the filth look "fun", especially to very young people who haven't yet seen how corporate politics plays out irl life.
    Basically just... ugh.
    Yeah, never cared to see it.

  21. #21
    Pookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Posts
    2,127
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nah you guys are tripping, that movie was awesome.

    I don't need a movie to condemn aomeone's actions or to put forth any type of ethical judgements so that i can agree with it. I'm an adult. This movie shows you a moment in history for one of the most outlandish conmen in history. If it seems like the movie sensationalizes it, that's your brain liking what you're seeing.
    I would say that ethically you are still supposed to act as if you have unilateral responsibility; but simultaneously you have to be able to see the other as a fully autonomous, free, aware person.

    Medicalizing social problems has the additional benefit of rendering society not responsible for those social ills. If it’s a disease, it’s nobody’s fault. Yay empiricism.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think a lot of people are attracted to a certain level of shamelessness. It's only when you get burned by these people that they learn. I'm not particularly sadden by the people who got ruined by the pump and dump schemes, it's greedy people who did something no sensible investor does.

    Bernie Madoff is a similar version of this guy, and is SEE-Fi, they different a bit in their technique as the method by which Bernie Madoff made his pyramid scheme was to use his personal charm and apparent trustworthiness to navigate family networks which he exploited by getting them to invest with him, it was a very long con. Belfort exploited people's greed and wishful thinking and the promise of a quick buck.

    The most visible ponzi scheme going right now is Bitcoin. There's about 12 million bitcoins in circulation right now and trading volume is tiny, when one of the big players start trying to dump it, that's it.
    Make a topic about your insight into cons and its relation to type (clubs, was it?)!

  23. #23
    The Soul Happy-er JWC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Two things come to my mind, JWC3, but I better start with the least obvious:

    JUST ILL FOREVER.

    EDIT: There is some rich guy on this forum. He is in music industry. You reckon, we could sell something to him, @JWC3?
    WE COULD SELL HIM MUSIC! We'll tell him that sirens made it.
    Easy Day

  24. #24
    A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    TIM
    ill
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You guys are such pussies.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

    Brought to you by socionix.com

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    WE COULD SELL HIM MUSIC! We'll tell him that sirens made it.
    Yea, we're going to sell it from a hotdog stand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    You guys are such pussies.
    Relax, spacegrape, I'm conducting businesses here.

  26. #26
    dugga dugga dun Narc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Jordan Belfort (in the film) was SEE. Se extravert that was positivist, but was assisted by negativist style viewpoints from Donnie.

  27. #27
    nil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    TIM
    ILI-Ni 5w4
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I quite like the film, really. I find the lack of moralism and the fact that Bellfort gets away with literally everything refreshing. It is not often you catch a story where the sociopathic reprobate wins in the end. The protagonist was never presented with a clear moral choice one way or the other, and that's what I love about it. It is simply realistic.

  28. #28
    darya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Posts
    2,792
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I really liked this movie too. I hate moralistic undertones in movies anyway.

    Yeah, the guy was a total sociopath but people like this exist, so deal with it . Movies like this are good to make you think about the society and things that should be changed. I also don't understand people who only like happy endings or endings where the bad guy gets punished - wtf? World is not a fairytale.

    People who are not sociopaths will still know right from wrong, even if they watch movies like these all days long. And people who are completely ammoral won't be any nicer people in case they skip this screening.

    I really don't understand the outrage

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •