TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Meditation?

Hello Everyone (and happy new year)!

I've decided to make daily meditation a staple in 2014. I thought I'd open it up and ask if anyone has any experience with the subject? Have any of you experienced significant gains from meditation? Do you have a preference for certain types of meditation over others?

Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tantra seems a feasable discipline to me

TIM
    LII (sub?) 9w8 Sp/So
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided to make daily meditation a staple in 2014. I thought I'd open it up and ask if anyone has any experience with the subject?
    Hey, yes, I have. I’ve been doing Vispassana mediation for 1 year now. It has been an interesting experience.

Have any of you experienced significant gains from meditation?
    Yes, I believe so. I’m better at focusing on what I’m doing, being in the moment, I’m calmer, stress affects me less, I’m aware of mindfulness, and it’s been an enjoyable experience. Each time I do it for 30 minutes to an hour I come out of it like a hallucinogenic trip. My head is clear and I just understand myself. It’s like pushing reset on yourself.

Do you have a preference for certain types of meditation over others?
    I’ve only tried one kind and it’s called Vispassana. Apparently it’s the oldest and simplest kind of mediation where you’re only focusing on your breathing. I don’t want to get into any mantras and other stuff. Here’s a free PDF on this kind of medication his book/pamphlet is great. It goes into everything and should be a great way for you to get yourself started.
    http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
    Good luck and have fun

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apostle Paul says,
    Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I stopped doing it for a long time. I'm going to get back into it again because life was much easier and more enjoyable when I did do it.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 13iokenesis View Post
    I've decided to make daily meditation a staple in 2014. I thought I'd open it up and ask if anyone has any experience with the subject?
    Hey, yes, I have. I’ve been doing Vispassana mediation for 1 year now. It has been an interesting experience.

Have any of you experienced significant gains from meditation?
    Yes, I believe so. I’m better at focusing on what I’m doing, being in the moment, I’m calmer, stress affects me less, I’m aware of mindfulness, and it’s been an enjoyable experience. Each time I do it for 30 minutes to an hour I come out of it like a hallucinogenic trip. My head is clear and I just understand myself. It’s like pushing reset on yourself.

I’ve only tried one kind and it’s called Vispassana. Apparently it’s the oldest and simplest kind of mediation where you’re only focusing on your breathing. I don’t want to get into any mantras and other stuff. Here’s a free PDF on this kind of medication his book/pamphlet is great. It goes into everything and should be a great way for you to get yourself started.
    Good luck and have fun
    aahhhh! I somehow missed that anyone had responded to this! Thanks so much for your input! I've been slacking already (some new years resolution...:/), mainly because I really haven't found a good place to start but I am definitely going to start with this! Your experience sounds amazing. I hope I have similar results!

Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    Hello Everyone (and happy new year)!

I've decided to make daily meditation a staple in 2014. I thought I'd open it up and ask if anyone has any experience with the subject? Have any of you experienced significant gains from meditation? Do you have a preference for certain types of meditation over others?
    Yes, I have experience in meditation. I've experienced clearer thoughts, calmness, improved memory recall and improved breathing habits. Before pranayama I was never aware of my breath, except after strenuous exercise, but when I began paying attention to my breathing I realized that I held my breath in stressful situations and didn't breath for long periods of time and only took shallow breaths. Now I use my diaphragm and fill my lungs to the bottom with sexc atmosphere-stuff, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through pursed lips.

I don't meditate as often anymore and usually for not as long. Now the only kind of mediation I do is similar to the visualization meditations of daoism and the visualization/realization meditations of thelema. I still focus on breathing at first. After my breathing is regular and in good form I bat away "all" thoughts, like priming over a messy painting for a fresh start. Then I imagine a simple object, like a single point or a circle. Then the circle becomes a sphere, the sphere becomes shaded, the shaded circle becomes an eye, the eye sprouts an eyelid, the eyelid sprouts some skin and maybe an eyebrow and then before you know it there's a whole human standing there on my canvas. Going further, I imagine something like a grassy plain and a sun and maybe a tree, one at a time, adding detail as i go. Once my landscape is complete, the human or other forms can move, harvesting grasses with a scythe or walking.

After about an hour of this I feel refreshed, clear-headed, creative, properly oxygenated and, as 13lokenesis mentioned, as if I just emerged from a trip. I've also had quite a few good idea pop up while meditating like this. I don't really care for mandalas or mantras, but when I do it's usually an "aum", which is great for stabilizing your breathing. While I was in high school I used audio to assist in meditation, an example is Israel Regardie's "the middle pillar exercise" which I had downloaded, played in a cd player with a heavy blanket over it to filter out some of the high pitched scratches and hisses. Gone are the days when I meditate for hours in a day and then run naked through the swamp in the mindset of a predator, ready to snatch up the next helpless shrieking bunny and sever it's spine with my bare teeth, blood spurting like a geyser into my mouth and eyes. It's good sleeping aid too. You probably do something like this before sleep anyway.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's woo woo. by which i don't mean meditation by definition is, but the thing you guys do is.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    it's woo woo. by which i don't mean meditation by definition is, but the thing you guys do is.
    hm? how do you define meditation?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an autoimmune disease and meditating helps me deactivate my immune system attacking my body. So... yeah. I've found it useful for that. But I sorta think waking experience is preferable over meditation so long as you aren't getting sucked into things like the computer or whatever. Like walking in nature is better than meditation

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Music is my meditation. It can change my perspective instantly.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try hydrotherapy. Colon.

Your body is a machine.

Besides, what lulger points out and attaches to faulty breath is toxins trying to get out not the proper way out.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I had a vision during a moment of intense meditation. There was a dense forest with a tunnel like opening and in this opening I saw a woman. Her hair was long and a deep golden color. She was wearing green silken scarves with very thin strands of red and gold in her dress. The winds were blowing her hair and scarves, from behind her so they were blowing toward me. Around her, spinning, a cyclone of gray and black. Her brightness really stood out, especially the green, emerald. Above her was a large bat with red eyes. To the side a small naked creature, down on one knee.

No I am not on drugs. It was extremely intense and felt it in my whole body and beyond. It was like, she was another part of me. This all happened just a few minutes ago.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by 13iokenesis View Post
    Good luck and have fun
    Yeah, that little bit of historical fiction is a bunch of unverified bullshit sold to New Age laymen.

To the OP: I performed the 10 day Vipassana meditation retreat a couple of years ago on the recommendation of a friend. Afterward I practiced for around a year or so. Gains? I gain more by being active and seizing the day, reading, creating, fucking, loving, than I ever did with that particular brand of meditation. In sum, looking back I'm not all that impressed by the Vipassana teaching for a number of different reasons that I won't go into here so as not to derail the thread -- unless you'd like me to. However, that doesn't mean that I'm opposed to meditation itself. There are many different kinds of meditation -- along with long lists of literature pertaining to these exercises from many different religious traditions. Seek out these readings, along with practitioners from many different faiths, many different perspectives -- and then decide, based on your own experimentation and judgement, what works for you.

Creepy-male

If you don't mind me asking @TheWholeEnglish are you of a particular religious faith?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    If you don't mind me asking @TheWholeEnglish are you of a particular religious faith?
    Not at all, McBain; I am an athiest. And yourself?

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    Not at all, McBain; I am an athiest. And yourself?
    Nope, nothing. If you were, I probably would have said something along the lines of: look at how your tradition has approached meditation and then perhaps seek outside perspectives.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed reading this, perhaps you will too.

Nothing is real. So tomorrow doesn't matter.
    TIM
    iei infp type 7?or 4
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New YEaR!!

How is your meditation going on?

Its not for everyone - meditations.
    Although it works on everyone, on their soul level.

I have done guided meditations, you will find several on you tube.
    Like chakra healing and divine healing.
    A lot of it depends on how the mind is willing to absorb it all.