View Poll Results: On average, how often do you shower?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than once per day

    3 9.68%
  • Religiously once per day

    13 41.94%
  • 5 or 6 times per week

    7 22.58%
  • Every other day

    4 12.90%
  • A couple times per week

    4 12.90%
  • Every 5 to 7 days

    0 0%
  • Every 7 to 14 days

    0 0%
  • Less than once every two weeks

    0 0%
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: How often do you bathe?

  1. #1
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default How often do you bathe?

    While this forum may not be a good sampling of the general population, this is something I'm curious about. Assume shower means bathe (so baths would could).

  2. #2
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,596
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    LESS THAN ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS

  3. #3
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol. I've gone through a few really depressive patches where I suddenly "wake up" and realize that I was a zombie for a couple of weeks. When that happens, I can't even remember the last timei showered. That hasn't happened in years though. Hmm, I wonder what causes that.

  4. #4
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's my timeline:

    Day 1: Shower. Hair is wet for literally 8 hours most of the time. Could blow dry it, but that takes like 20 minutes and I was already pushing my luck to leave the baby in her swing or napping for the 20+ minutes it took to shower. Even after my hair is dry it's not looking it's best because it's not smoothed down.
    Day 2: This is my best hair day. I'm not greasy or stinky at all. The only time I'll shower on this day is if I got messy somehow or if I'm trying to shave everyday. It doesn't happen that often.
    Day 3: My hair still looks fine anywhere other people can see it, though sometimes if I look at the bottom layers I can tell it's been a couple of days since my last shower. Usually my hair is still totally fine though. I'm still not stinky in the least unless I've been out working up a sweat somewhere. If I have social plans for that night, am planning to get laid, or happen to have a good opportunity, I'll shower that day. If it doesn't work out I don't worry about it.
    Day 4: If I didn't shower on Day 3 my hair might be starting to look like I need a shower, but I still don't stink at all unless, like I said, I've been out working up a sweat. I try to shower if at all possible, but occasionally it doesn't work out due to the baby having a fussy day or something of the like. If I have to go out to the grocery store or whatever and my hair is starting to look bad (which is probably about a 50/50 chance) I'll wear a hat. I'm still unwilling to shower at night on this day even if it's my only opportunity because I hate sleeping with wet hair.
    Day 5: If it's been just over half a week since I last showered, I'll make sure it happens this day even it it means the baby's going to cry through half of my shower. I still don't stink, but I know I'll feel a lot better once I'm fresh and clean.

    I guess I'm just not a very stinky or greasy person. I don't even need wear deodorant unless it's summer and I'm working or spending time outside. There's this sheet set that got greasy from one use every single time I had friends sleep on it (even when I knew for a fact that they'd showered earlier that day) but never once got grease marks on it from me even when I slept on it for weeks. Weird, right?

    So yeah... I probably take 2 showers a week on average right now. I'm sure it'll be more again once I'm working more and don't have a little baby to care for.

  5. #5
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,596
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    i don't think i stink often either. most of the time i only shower because otherwise you can tell by the state of my hair that it hasn't been washed, or i'm just in the mood to shower or lie in a bath with a book. but by the time you can smell yourself you're past the point where other people can smell you.

  6. #6
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh, and my skin gets dry very easily (and when that happens I break out) if I shower more often than every 2 to 3 days and don't use tons of lotion/moisturizer.

  7. #7
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    but by the time you can smell yourself you're past the point where other people can smell you.
    I think for some people this is true since you get used to smells that you're always around, but for me when I say I stink and need a shower I've had other people laugh at me and tell me I don't stink at all. I've got a really sensitive nose though. One of the more annoying parts of being pregnant was that my sense of smell went from being very sensitive to super human power levels. I could tell that the person standing six feet away hadn't brushed his teeth yet today. IT WAS AWFUL. lol

  8. #8
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Usually every day, sometimes I may skip a day.

  9. #9
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    While this forum may not be a good sampling of the general population, this is something I'm curious about.
    The more I think about it, the more my birth club (the moms who were due the same month I was) in my pregnancy/baby forum would probably be a better place to ask this. I know having a five month old definitely affects my bathing habits. I take more baths than I used to (because I bathe with her sometimes) and don't bathe as often as I otherwise would.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  10. #10
    A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    TIM
    ill
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh man. I would feel so scummy if I only had two showers a week. I shower daily. When I have an actual bathtub I sometimes have three or four baths a day.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

    Brought to you by socionix.com

  11. #11
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    12,802
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every day, mostly. I have to because I work out.

    I try to only wash my hair 3 or 4 times a week because over washing your hair is really bad for it... though, it's hard not to wash your hair after the gym and lately I've been unusually oily and I haven't been able to get away with that.

    I envy those with dry hair/skin
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  12. #12
    Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every day. No exceptions.

  13. #13
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Generally twice every day. Once before uni, once after.

  14. #14
    Ypiret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha!
    I thought this said "How often do you breath?" at first and was super shocked to see people voting for anything besides the first option.

    Anyways, I bathe every night. If I don't I can't find peace of mind when going to bed and feel disgusting the entirety of the next day.

  15. #15
    olivetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA, for now
    TIM
    9w1, sp/so
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I shower every morning. But my hair is extremely dry and extremely curly so it can go a full week without getting a wash. Washing my hair too often dries it out and it will break off.

  16. #16
    uniden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ILI/INTp
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Default

    I try to shower as often as I'm able because I have an absolutely terrible sense of smell and am liable to start stinking without noticing. This usually amounts to about 5 times a week. It's a nice bonus I don't sweat much at all.

    Oh and like mentioned above I try not to overwash my hair. Go easy on the shampoo and all.

  17. #17
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Every day, mostly. I have to because I work out.

    I try to only wash my hair 3 or 4 times a week because over washing your hair is really bad for it... though, it's hard not to wash your hair after the gym and lately I've been unusually oily and I haven't been able to get away with that.

    I envy those with dry hair/skin
    Would this stuff be a good solution for you? http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/g.../p152202/page1
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  18. #18
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't wrap my mind around not showering every day. I just can't. Good hygiene is the number one thing I don't joke about. You guys..come on please...we can't smell ourselves, don't let the fact that you don't think you smell be the reason you don't shower. I had this one roommate who showered like twice a week AND was sexually active. I can only imagine how disgusting that must've been for her partner.

  19. #19
    Marshmallow Foru-m chriscorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    At the
    TIM
    Puca
    Posts
    1,458
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everyday unless I'd just been camping.
    Amber casts infinity of shadows, and my Avalon had cast many of its own, because of my presence there. I might be known on many earths that I had never trod, for shadows of myself had walked them, mimicking imperfectly my deeds and my thoughts.

  20. #20
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I don't use shampoo. The human body has evolved for millions of years and doesn't need it. Don't buy into modern consumerism & brainwashing advertising.

    When you use shampoo, your body actually starts producing more oil to compensate. Since I stopped using shampoo, in the short-term my hair was more oily, but long-term my hair is much less oily and nobody notices.

    Not using shampoo is not only great for your health, but can easily offer time savings of 1-2 minutes per day as well as the $$$ and hassle of buying it at the store (also saving $$$ on your water bill from shorter showers).
    I have to wash my hair every day, because I am an oily beast. I've tried washing every second day, I've tried not washing for a week, both for extended periods, and there was zero "adjustment". I'm very dubious of the claim that having more oil on your skin somehow feeds back to your skin to tell it to stop producing so much oil - that means there would have to be an "oil receptor" on the skin that lets your skin know there's too much oil, which according to my understanding of physiology is improbable. [Edit: Google Scholar tells me it's regulated by surface tension, but it's only relevant for the first 6 hours after washing.] I think it's more likely that you notice more when your skin goes from 10 mL of oil to 20 mL of oil (arbitrary skin area) in a day, than when it goes from 60 mL of oil to 70 mL (plus, there's probably some point at which your skin is saturated and can't carry any more oil, and instead the excess wipes off onto anything you touch). Maybe your skin produces so little oil that you don't need to shampoo at all, but some of us need it, and we're more than happy to wake up an hour early once a month to compensate for those precious 2 minutes, if it means we're not scratching our heads and collecting oily scalp crud under our nails all day, or looking Wormtonguey.
    Last edited by octo; 01-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  21. #21
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dry skin does produce more oil. I don't think oily skin produces less oil than the same skin when it's clean and healthy though. Also, he didn't say he doesn't wash it. He said he doesn't shampoo it. I think it's different for him though because he's got short hair. There's no way I could get away with not using shampoo and conditioner as I have long and very thick hair.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  22. #22
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Dry skin does produce more oil. I don't think oily skin produces less oil than the same skin when it's clean and healthy though. Also, he didn't say he doesn't wash it. He said he doesn't shampoo it. I think it's different for him though because he's got short hair. There's no way I could get away with not using shampoo and conditioner as I have long and very thick hair.
    There are plenty of people who have long hair who go no-poo, and there are plenty of people with short hair who need daily shampoo - there are forums such as this one where there are representatives from all over the spectrum.

    My main point is, just because you prefer to go without something doesn't mean everyone else can also go without it, or that everyone who uses it has been sucked into some massive corporate conspiracy and WAKE UP, SHEEPLE. Everyone's equilibrium point is somewhere different, and people are comfortable with different areas of the spectrum. As far as I can Google, the "dry skin produces more sebum" thing has only been quantified for the first hour after washing your skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,774
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i do my hair every other day and shower 2 times a day but i want to reduce it or just use less hot water bcuz they say it makes stuff sag easier lel
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  24. #24
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    washing doesn't really remove bacteria off your skin it just moves it around...for all those who think they are eliminating life form from your skin by rubbing soap and water on it, you're wrong...in fact, if I gave you special glassess to look at the surface of your skin, you may never be able to live with yourself ever again

    washing your skin isn't great for it either

    that said, I have to wash the dirt off every day because I live in a dirty city...LA is smoggy and there's lot's of dirt in the air...ew...other than that if I lived in a clean city I wouldn't shower.

  25. #25
    "Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    some bacteria is good for you, they fight agaisnt disease. and some sebum helps keep the skin healthy. i usually bath daily, might skip a day if I'm not going out and feel clean(haven't been sweating much), or might shower twice if I feel icky or have been sweating alot

    busing a wash cloth or sponge is good especially if you live with other family members(hygeinge purposes, I rather prefer one bar of soap to myself)..helps scrub off the dirt more complelty then just soap

    I have semi long hair right now,locks..and kinky black hair so I can't wash it often or else my hair will break from being too dry/fragile
    from lack of moisture..it stays clean anyways since I usually wear a scarf or something to not get it lookign rough and dirty
    Last edited by Leader; 01-10-2014 at 06:40 AM.

  26. #26
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Daily, most of the time in the morning, because I quickly feel dirty and oily. Whenever I have to wake up early I shower the night before.

    It's rare that I take a shower in the afternoon. Usually, if I don't take a shower early in the day I don't shower at all. Very infrequently, specially when I'm obsessed about something, I can go a full day or even two without showering.

    What I do frequently is to wash my hands as I dislike the feeling of being contaminated by anything, be it a chemical substance, raw food, dirt, etc. I think I do it at least 20-30 times a day as it's not something I'm careless about.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  27. #27
    Queen of the Damned Aylen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    MACS0647-JD
    TIM
    ILI ~ 458 sx/sp
    Posts
    9,879
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)

    Default

    Shower every day. Witch Hazel wipes throughout the day to feel clean. Hair 2-4 times a week. It is a chore because it long and dyed red and I hate it fading. I freshen it everyday with some kind of mist.

    I have a water allergy, so I have to heavily medicate myself with vistaril and neurontin an hour and a half before. Then I am high as hell and ready to jump in the shower.

    "Aquagenic pruritus is a skin condition characterized by the development of severe, intense, prickling-like epidermal itching that is without observable skin lesions and that is evoked by contact with water.[1][2]"

    "When I ought to be thinking of heaven he will nail me to earth"

     







  28. #28
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    At least once a day. I put once but it's often twice. I can't go to sleep unless I'm clean, so always before bed, but often in the morning as well.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  29. #29
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just remembered a topic I posted a while back about showering: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-take-a-shower And while I was searching for it, I found this topic: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post126102

    Anyways, since I originally posted this topic I've been taking advantage of this baby activity center called a jumparoo. I don't like to have her in it that much because I worry about unbalanced muscle development, but it has given me the opportunity to shower more often. I still only wash my hair about two or three times a week, but I shower probably about 5 days a week now. And she loves it!

    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  30. #30
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I just remembered a topic I posted a while back about showering: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-take-a-shower And while I was searching for it, I found this topic: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post126102

    Anyways, since I originally posted this topic I've been taking advantage of this baby activity center called a jumparoo. I don't like to have her in it that much because I worry about unbalanced muscle development, but it has given me the opportunity to shower more often. I still only wash my hair about two or three times a week, but I shower probably about 5 days a week now. And she loves it!

    She is so incredibly cute, Joy!
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  31. #31
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks!
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •