Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edumacation - are college costs worth it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edumacation - are college costs worth it?

Watching videos like this one makes me think that there isn't much value in the post-secondary education that is being offered at most schools. I have several friends who after spending up to 6 years earning their degrees are now unemployed or are otherwise struggling to find employment.

What about you guys? Did you get degrees in something that you were interested in or something that could be easily applied? For those who have finished school, in retrospect, did your education pay off the effort and time that you have invested? How easy or tough has it been for you to find employment with your degree?

Reading some of the classical literature I also get a sense that education was better "back in the days" and it contributed to the genesis of some of the greatest minds. Is there some kind of global education crisis going down right now?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

edumacations always important
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I went into some college gymnasium to use the bathroom...on a sunday afternoon. the door was locked so I peed on the door. that's my view about universities. it's one of civilization's cons...it's only serious for the people that buy into it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    I went into some college gymnasium to use the bathroom...on a sunday afternoon. the door was locked so I peed on the door. that's my view about universities. it's one of civilization's cons...it's only serious for the people that buy into it.
    the only person to hear your message was some janitor just trying to get through his day.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i just have a two year degree. i don't work in the field i went to school for. but if i hadn't gone to school at all i don't know how i would have gotten my foot in the door so i basically see it as how i transitioned from working fast food to working at a desk. i had grants and didn't have to pay a dime so i don't regret it at all. i have sort of a distant dream to go back for more eventually but i don't know for what. but i enjoyed school more than i enjoy working.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    College has become a business in America. In life, you have to watch the money and what people are 'selling' - colleges promise success, will bring in alumni to talk to you to say 'you can be successful too if you go here', and they play all sorts of games (college is FUN! Live away from your parents! Look how good our sports teams are! Be a XYZ-stater for LIFE!). But essentially you're going to school for a promise. Be careful. You don't need to go to college to be successful. I could list many businesspeople who dropped out of or skipped college.
    Everything is a business in America, which makes most choices that are made business oriented. If you are able to drop out or skip college, you probably never needed college in the first place, however most people aren't like that. Most people are just going to work a job, do the best they can and have some kids. With the way most non-white collar labor works in the US there's only a few fields where one can make a decent salary today and in many of these fields a college education will help the shift to management.

If you're going to school for just a job, that's a wrong way to look at it. School is about networks and education, getting a job should still be secondary to that. How much one is willing to spend on that education is important as well.

Life is not just about working, and there's a lot of benefits to getting a education outside of a job. I personally did not enjoy school, nor did I do very well in it, I took a road that mostly involved self-education. However, I would never recommend what I did to everyone. Also my path has made it harder for me to reenter academia, be a researcher, do things which I think I can do but because I went down a different path, those are harder for me to achieve.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they wanted to immigrate, many western countries would accept talented professionals in technical fields like engineering. there is actually a shortage of technical occupations in Canada and demand is booming

germany is paying educated foreigners to come live, work and study there

also, peter schiff is fat now

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IMO biggest complainers about education being too expensive is some NF with 100k in school debt and can't pay it off with their liberal arts degree and won't deign themselves to do a mind numbing job so the natural alternative is to resort to complaining or selling cupcakes for 4 dollars a whack.

Then some asshole ST like this guy latches on to that shit and makes everything suck. Yea, education can be mind-numbing, painful and of limited use, but opting out of it for some fantasy that you will make it in this world with a little elbow grease and wishful thinking is bullshit.

This is also one of those anti-government guys who want to defund the educational programs, give everyone vouchers for schools and various other ways to de-educate the poor more then they already are. The fact that he's latched on to this, a problem he helped to create, is like Paula Deen selling diabetes medicine, it venal, parasitic and makes him scum in my book.

Get educated, do it cheaply, it's good for ya..

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    Watching videos like this one makes me think that there isn't much value in the post-secondary education that is being offered at most schools. I have several friends who after spending up to 6 years earning their degrees are now unemployed or are otherwise struggling to find employment.
    Are you friends stupid, did they study something that is hard to get hired for, will they not work a warehouse job, do they refuse to work anything that requires them to sweat.

Did their parents not tell them that their English degree doesn't mean much?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Could everyone please stop dissing English/liberal arts degrees? Mine has served me very well.

You have to be smart while you are in college regardless of what your major is. Those of my students who have succeeded with their *useless* liberal arts degrees are the ones who took full advantage of all resources, including networking, community outreach, etc.

I have one student who wrote a paper for my oh-so-useless lit/film class, which lead her, via some interesting developments, to now work for a major research organization in Washington D.C. And she is just one example.

I wish I had the time and patience to write about the merits of a liberal arts education. Maybe during break.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lib majors are the scum of satan

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    lib majors are the scum of satan
    There are worse things you could be.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Could everyone please stop dissing English/liberal arts degrees? Mine has served me very well.

You have to be smart while you are in college regardless of what your major is. Those of my students who have succeeded with their *useless* liberal arts degrees are the ones who took full advantage of all resources, including networking, community outreach, etc.

I have one student who wrote a paper for my oh-so-useless lit/film class, which lead her, via some interesting developments, to now work for a major research organization in Washington D.C. And she is just one example.

I wish I had the time and patience to write about the merits of a liberal arts education. Maybe during break.
    I'm not dissing your students or the degrees, I'm really talking about a certain type of individual that goes to school for a degree that is hard to get hired for, then blame everyone else that they can't pay their school debts. I have met these individuals, they exist. I don't even really care they complain, but more so that some asshole like Schiff latches onto this topic. I probably shouldn't have said liberal arts because some liberal arts degrees aren't hard to hire for.

I don't have a ton of examples for engineers because well that industry is understaffed, I think the most common complaint I hear is "I should have been a writer..." or "Screw this, I'm going to be a chef".... etc...

Somedays, I say, I should have been a writer or film maker or went to art school.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Liberal arts are kind of a broad term, it's probably better to say hard to hire for degrees, because some liberal arts degrees are easy to get employment.

If you get a philosophy degree, which I think is a great degree, the unemployment numbers are quite high. Anyways, even if you can't get a job in your field, just be a hipster bartender and take in 300 bucks a night slinging PBR's.

Also I wanted to be architect, talk about unemployment rates... oy vey.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess you could be the scum of a liberal arts major ...

j / k lib arts girls make the most passionate love ime

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

like any good con make the perception into reality they drop twenty thousand a year.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    the only person to hear your message was some janitor just trying to get through his day.
    yeah, that's life....whenever you put your own wants first somebody usually winds up with the short-end of the stick.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

education is worthless. Knowledge isn't.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

education isn't worthless, it just depends on how much you take away from it. You choose what kind of major you do and you can know the outcomes. You can either learn from classes or just sit through them. You can either connect with people or hide in just your fraternity or dormroom.

The self made millionaires, having succes despite dropping out, are the exception, not the rule. Yes, if you are talented, really talented, you might not need education. Don't kid yourself, you're probably not!
    No, education isn't the guarenteed road to succes it's sometimes made out to be...though luck, there IS no road to succes, it's mostly luck and maybe hard work. (I go for luck)

It's not black and white. if you realize that both college and real life experience are important you'll do as great as you possibly can manage. The rest is up to chance, deal with it.

If you say fuck education, you skew those chances. If you say fuck real life experience you're skewing those chances as well. Both is a possible problem in your future. Still, you might have that one idea that makes you a bilionare. Write me if you do!

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

self made millionaire weren't lucky, they were knowledgable.

If I told you you could make money by buying your friends' credit card debt from them, would that blow your mind?

knowledge.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In the video he didn't go around asking actual engineers, archeologists, neuroscientists, chemists, doctors, professors, researchers, journalists, architects, actuarists, etc. whether or not they went to college. And he cut out all the footage of people who said they didn't go to college. Find the ratio of the college graduates to the non-college graduates at the place he interviews people and the ratio of the college graduates to the non college graduates at labs, design firms, museums, and general other places/jobs where college graduates are expected to work then we can have a rather fair analysis on this youtube pop nonsense.
    Last edited by Oaky; 12-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    self made millionaire weren't lucky, they were knowledgable.

If I told you you could make money by buying your friends' credit card debt from them, would that blow your mind?

knowledge.
    No, but ever since reading your first post i've thought you were an idiot...

you are right about education being worthless to you though.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't pay anything for my education, actually I got some "net" gain since I managed to get scolarships (not much, like 6-7k per year), work part time and lived with my parents until I was 23. Worth it? Hard to say, I'll have to check in 20-25 years since that's when it usually starts to "pay off" according to most research. According to my current perception, it was especially worth it for people with little business acumen and intellectual interests, since it gave them some confidence and knowledge. For those who already seemed "smart" it kind of really decreased their self confidence (I'm not talking about myself, just some friends) and made them excessively pessimistic about their abilities.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    No, but ever since reading your first post i've thought you were an idiot...

you are right about education being worthless to you though.
    my first post huh?

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    According to my current perception, it was especially worth it for people with little business acumen and intellectual interests, since it gave them some confidence and knowledge. For those who already seemed "smart" it kind of really decreased their self confidence (I'm not talking about myself, just some friends) and made them excessively pessimistic about their abilities.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do not insult philosophists @Ath. You never know - hkkmr can end up in politics as the minister of economy he doesn't know anything about. That's pretty common in Europe.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Don't worry, those people quickly got back their confidence once they started working.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wtf is a liberal arts professor anyway lmfao...

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Academia is the worst type of bureaucracy. It markets in idol worship. Idol worship is a symptom of the desire for truth. Monks also sit around for thirty years deciphering their idols. Bureaucracy is another useless amenity of civilization as it's just churning out more cogs in the machine. Cut the red tape, once and for all...heh

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only imagine this site is full of self-made millionaires like DJA.

I'm so sad I got a degree, I should have made socionics youtube videos :'( I want to be succesfull like ATH and DJA.
    Can someone please steal my degree and erase all the traces from the systemTM (the more evil version of TheManTm)?

I want the red pill!!!

SOMEONE!!!!!!!

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get any degree, Join the Military as an Officer, in 4 years you're making 60 grand + allowances for food and Board, upwards of about 1k per month.

Congrats!! You have succeeded at life financially.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have free education opportunities everywhere but they seem so outdated and pointless, especially if I am not sure what skills I would want to utilize in the future. I can already do aimless studying to try to see what I like and, you know, look around.
    It's a big world and I'm supposed to be determined on what I want in here? Whose side I'm even on? ..Well, I was in school until I was around 20 and lost interest with my studies, that could have directed me towards various academic paths that I wasn't interested in, and then dropped out.

Well, since jobs are scarce and I'm receiving a modest steady income from tax-payers as long as I don't work, I really don't see why it would be wise to be doing something that requires no skills. It's true that previous job experience sounds nice to an employer while bringing some extra cash but I was more interested in leisurely, if poor, lifestyle than try to please people who would be happy to hire an ex telemarketer.

It kinda sucked being in a situation where most people are expected to work when you don't have to or to study in an institution that doesn't inspire you. Social welfare leech wasn't really a nice thing to tell to a lady's mother when she asks me what do I do, but selective honesty is the best policy.

During these years of NEETness I think I have learned a lot about the big picture and what I want from it. If I can have fun when young and at the same time think about myself in the world for a few years before deciding the general direction, it's worth it.
    I think I know now.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    education is worthless. Knowledge isn't.
    I think Mark Twain put it better:
    "Never let your schooling interrupt your education"

I think you both mean the same thing with different definitions for the term "education".
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can only imagine this site is full of self-made millionaires like DJA.
    People are better off unlearning what they know instead of learning what they don't know. It's not a question of the ‘road’ that will make me more money or success, but the road that extends will to power. "Get rich" has people like arendee chasing their tail. I'd rather kill myself. At the end of the day, it goes back to do whatever the fuck you want. Wealth is peripheral. IF it comes, fine, if not, fuck it, but I'm way too egocentric and self-centered to turn money into a god. Academia opposes the will to power in its impotent search for truth. Truth doesn't exist. Only the desire for truth exists. I get more aliveness out of something simple like smashing a window with a chair than I would dropping 20 grand a year sitting in a chair, so I'd rather spend the time throwing chairs through windows. I don't need to learn anything because I'm already wired with a worldview, hence, I just know things. I've got about a 1,000 years of shit to beat the academics over the head with.
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 05-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ath View Post
    From what I've read, getting a phd is so not worth it. There's way too many of them (postdocs) competing for few academic positions in the west, resulting in low pay, whistle blowers (cuz there's lots of cheating due to intense competition) getting revenged on, professors lying to aspiring students about old profs soon retiring so that newcomers will have a shot at tenure, lots of unpaid debt, little job security (your boss/tpb dislikes you, you're gone), researchers toeing the line by never doing anything unconventional (if Einstein did that, then no theory of relativity) random things like being physically attractive you are motivating someone to stop you from advancing, long hours, harsh competition not just between colleagues but also departments, little freedom both in the now and in the future, few practical skills learned, overqualified for most normal (REAL) jobs, ignorance of and snobby contempt towards the outside world (ivory tower culture).

Academic bureaucracy is terrible in Europe (higher ups exploit the achievements of lesser ppl, just like the generation before them), so there's braindrain towards NA, increasing competition there. Poor countries have worse equipment for research, so for many in 1st world countries, moving might not be the solution. Its supposedly worst of all in life sciences where there are stories of 3rd world immigrants taken advantage of (threats about having their green card revoked from their professor, etc) and way too many ppl competing, more so than other academic fields. Like K4M said its idol worship... There are stories of arrogant students who've always been at the top of their class thinking they're gonna be a Nobel prize winner. They mock everyone who doesn't take the hardest courses but then they get disillusioned later, as the going gets tougher the farther you climb on the academic ladder.

tl;dr version: this

@Reficulris like Allie said some time ago in the chatbox you're just another intellectual masturbator. And if you really want the red pill how about suicide?
    Lol, yeah, Allie, she's almost as succesfull as you and DJA.

Sorry to have taken away from your valuable time Ath, but i'm honored you enlighten me with your well formed oppinion of me, i'm honored really!

I can only immagine you have strong reasons and hard work as basis for your analysis of "higher ecudation in europe", I am, sadly, an acadamic that has not yet encountered this pervasive and problematic nature of education yet, but i'm sure I will soon be disillusioned if I encounter the real world! Yes, the real world... now I need to find it, maybe I need to research pokemonics and make youtube videos! That'll make me encounter the real worldTM!

I might be an intellectual masturbator, but at least i'm having pleasure instead of being a jaded narrowminded drug addict like Allie or a person with zero social skills and very little self knowledge like you! Maybe if you lost your virginity you'd get a brighter outlook on life!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Reficulris I know you've said stuff about being involved in academics with your ex and all in the past, but what exact history do you have in academia? If you're fishing for more links then I'm more than willing to share but I want you to be forthright about it... As far as narrow-mindedness goes I'll just reiterate: an open mind is like an open toilet in that anyone can shit in it, cuz opinions are like assholes; everyone has one. As far as my social and self-knowledge goes they're not quite at zero I'll assure you. And I'm not in the ranks of sex-obsessed loons. I'm good enough on my own to not have to gear my life towards obtaining sex (reproduction from a natural pov, meaning those who're dependent on it have less destructive capacity) i.e. being dependent on others.
    I have both a philosophy and a psychology propedeutical, a public administration bachelor and will get my masters in business (the dreaded mba) this summer (hopefully). I've seen a lot of academics, and while I believe that there is some minor truths in the thread above I believe that basically education can be worthwhile and valuable, if, and only if, it is added upon by experience that is not academic in nature. Ivory tower sience exists and is a problem, but it's not the majority of academics. Education inflation is happening, but you're still, statistically better off with a degree than without. There are other ways to earn money (and even some of them are more succesfull in adding a lot of it) but there is a fair ammount of luck involved (not all youtube people get rich, as DJA might have found out by now...).

I don't agree with the toilet methaphor, or maybe I do, but than I like shit. My joy in life is the complexity and variedness of the world and one of my biggest fears is being bored. I find people who dislike openmindedness dreadfully boring ánd scary since they tend to want to bring the pitchforks against me (see allie). I don't understand, i'm not trying to burn you for having one oppinion, i'm just stating that I don't agree, why does that trigger such agression?

i apologize for attacking your social skills/self knowledge, you just seem to atagonise me the last few posts and I don't see why. I'll retalliate (mildly) if people start disliking me, or smudging/strawmanning me like allie did and you seem to do in the last few posts.

As for sex; i've been where you are, I know those arguments. I kinda changed my mind on that since sex can be interesting, experimental and thank god without the repercussions of procreation nowadays. I enjoy it like I enjoy dancing talking fighting, there's something primal in it that counterballances my so called "intellectual masturbation" which, in rare occasions make me feel like i'm too far away from the apes...

peace, you can dislike my views, i can dislike yours, in the end there is no arbiter anyway...

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Reficulris: Seems you got some academic experience then. Still, I'll stick to my stance that one should be wary of academia, as should others. If one intends to get into it long term, better investigate a wide variety of sources on it thoroughly before one commits. As far as earnings goes, without going into the nitty-gritty statistics of it I'll just reiterate: wariness.

On open-mindedness I say that ppl support it cuz its personally advantageous. Even the word itself frames it so that whoever supports it sounds superior. Perhaps open-minded ppl should be open-minded towards being narrow-minded (a derogatory word for seriousness and focus, it seems)? @the rest of the things you said: ok.
    \

Yeah, that is a good attitude to have towards academics. Also, the paradigm of Acadamics are superiour to any other venue of life we have in europe is ofc bullshit and stupid.

About your openmindedness to narrowmindedness I agree. I'm dogmatically inclined to attack religious people, and so, I undermine my openmindedness. (see the hell thread, I attacked Eliza out of spite.) In the end I think I'd rather be a believer and have a simple world and not be afraid of boredom. Also, I'd prefer not to be nihilistic, but alas, I am and probably will be since I've spend years of my life searching for the truth and than got very very tired... So I completely agree (as I did with Eliza) that i'm intolerant of narrowmindedness, and that this, in essence is narrowminded as well.

This in no way devalues the offering of perspectives or make it more "good or right" to be narrowminded. It just means that being openminded isnt necesarrily superiour, however, I never claimed it was. I just said I like openmindedness in myself and other people and would like to be able to just be that way without persecution.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both a philosophy and a psychology propedeutical, a public administration bachelor and will get my masters in business (the dreaded mba) this summer (hopefully).
    I think what Ath was referring to was phd and higher up kind of academia, thus the "professional" kind of academia, where you really have to believe in what you're doing.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like narrow-mindedness for generating conflict as that can make way for a changing of the guard and thus growth, insight, etc.
    In that case we're two sides of the same coin. Since my advocacy of the devil style is in the hopes that someone else will get the good ideas/real truthTM/more pleasurable ideas and, indeed, to guard against groupthink and biasses.

do you change your narrowmindedness in groups that think alike? As in, when you're talking to a crowd of DJA's, will you defend academics narrowminded? If so we're probably more alike than different...

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think what Ath was referring to was phd and higher up kind of academia, thus the "professional" kind of academia, where you really have to believe in what you're doing.
    Well, academics that take themselves serious can have a purpose. Serious academic work sometimes hits on something that is actually usefull practially. Also, serious academic work can be entertaining to those so inclined. Finally, serious academics can be burned when there is social unrest, so they serve as a safety valve to protect the interests of the rich and powerfull. They have their uses, and can make some money.

That said, I think "hard science" is more likely to be directly usefull, satisfying and more likely to make you rich than any management or social science study ever could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast