TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Depression is...

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Depression is the inability to construct a future.
    p. 243
    Care is a state in which something does matter; care is the opposite of apathy. Care is the necessary source of eros, the source of human tenderness.
    p. 289

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rollo_May
    Discuss..
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think that it can be part of depression for some (for me it was more a matter of *why bother constructing a future, it doesn't matter anyway*), but I don't think we should even attempt to come up with one definition of depression, just like we shouldn't come up with any one solution.

When I was in my worst depressive state, no *I care about you and I am here for you* helped me. What helped were friends helping me with the daily grind of living, and giving me concrete and objective advice when I asked them to. When my friend suffered from bad depression, she rejected any attempt at finding a solution and was looking for lots of emotional care and verbal affirmation.

My point is that I am suspicious of making depression and how to handle/treat it one whichever thing. I think it is even type-related.
    Last edited by Kim; 11-30-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an adjective that doesn't mean much beyond "very sad & demotivated" that people try to treat like a technical category with clear delineations when it isn't.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my experience,
    an opportunity for spiritual growth in the aftermath of a defeated ego. If embraced, what's left in the destruction becomes the seeds of understanding, an intimate relaying of self-awareness to a consciousness that, by itself, has to struggle with knowing what's truly important.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the OP quotes. Adding my cents... depression is a dissociated state of unfulfilling pleasure and ignored pain... Caring can reconcile it; can recognize the pain and can provide real fulfillment. Only trouble with that is it relies on outside sources for fulfillment, which are not reliable... often not even accessible. You can try to look within and overcome it. That is very difficult but ultimately what's required. And that is done by embracing pain.
    Last edited by rat1; 11-30-2013 at 09:58 PM.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think care is the opposite of, or somehow irreconcilable with apathy -- the latter is often indulged to relieve the pressure implied by dealing with things we care about. care/concern is a fundamental quality of man's existence, hence "the inability to construct a future" being flawed; depressed people may express dismay and disinterest about the future, but the function is still active, on some level. overall I agree with rat that the important thing is embracing the pain. having to do so through anger, especially when it concerns a 'loss' or any situation where you were degraded or abused in some way, is probably the most difficult, because you effectively have to collapse internally to dissolve whatever resistances were bound up with the feeling. external sources of support are nice but not always present or directly relevant to one's needs/state.
    Last edited by strrrng; 11-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression is all too common yet those suffering from it are marginalised, often by people who have experience of it to some degree themselves. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geminatronix View Post
    Depression is all too common yet those suffering from it are marginalised, often by people who have experience of it to some degree themselves. It's a sorry state of affairs.
    Very true.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clinical depression isn't extreme sadness or melancholy. It's a qualitatively different condition based on chemical changes in the brain:

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I also believe it is an expression of powerlessness and hopelessness. That's my personal experience.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW