Member Questionnaire 1 (hyperrcrisis)
What is beauty? What is love?
Beauty is an object/subject's ability to evoke an attraction response because of how precisely it expresses meanings/values/ideals belonging to the viewer. Beauty is socially constructed. Love comes in several forms; the love of a parent and child, the love between friends, the love/care for relatives or pets, and the romantic love for another individual. In general, love is attachment.
What are your most important values?
- Every human being should have the same rights and access to the same opportunities.
- Don't do something unnecessary if you know it will hurt someone.
- Don't take advantage of the weak.
- Try your best to contribute to greater society, the economy, your family because they have supported you. Unless you're in a wartorn country with bad governments then f#$k the economy, the government hasn't supported you with welfare or with security at all - it has failed its job.
- There are mean people in life, don't let them get to you.
Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
I was raised as a mahayana buddhist ancestral worshipper, I still engage in some of those practices because of family and because some rituals are fun. I am agnostic because I believe that the universe is guided by magic (I still wait for that day when I'll be able to manipulate water or fire with my bare hands) or really super cool advanced theoretical quantum physicsy stuff that is beyond human comprehension. I'm not really sure if that is agnosticism... I don't believe in god/s, I believe in energy forces kind of? I'm a little confused myself.
Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
Power to me is one's ability to influence another's decisions. Wars and militaries are really stupid and a waste of tax payers money. I think the problem is that we have states. A state's responsibility is to look after its population by maintaining adequate resources which leads to war over land borders and territory. Ideological wars are more complicated.. too many issues, I don't want to waste readers' time, and I don't think I have the energy to do the issue justice.
What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
I have long conversations about other people's religions and their values and patterns in life. I like to listen to people talk about something they are passionate about and why it makes them tick. Also if the topic is interesting, I get to learn something new too. ^_^ With close friends I like to talk about our mutual friends and relationship distance, as well as talking about daily stresses and our feelings.My interests involve learning ideas/theories (usually social, political, or economic. ie. human related stuff) and experimenting with them. I like them because they are interpretations of existing natural systems and i like something to occupy/play with in my mind. I'm also into avant garde music, art, high fashion, architecture and design because it is the physical manifestation of human mental creative potential and it evokes sentiment from people. I also like weapons and martial arts because I want to be able to defend myself.
Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
I am interested in research developments in prevalent diseases such as cancer. I'm also interested in taboo experiments on the human body which test what it means to be human. Medical anthropological stuff.
What do you think of daily chores?
Relaxing. And a little gross if it's cleaning.
Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
There are so many classic movies I haven't watched and I barely read. It takes a lot for me to commit to a book because I don't want to have wasted my time on a story that tuned out bad. Inception was good, but everyone thought it was good so that doesn't really help the typing. The latest bond movie with the flamboyant villain was good too. Though I find most movies to be a bit squashed. I like mini-series because they are allow more time to tell a story in depth. I think I prefer the old black and white movies as well because there were really long and slow - it gave me time to absorb the atmosphere of the film.
I really enjoy my prescribed readings for my university course which are predominantly research/studies and discussion, or original journal articles of underpinning theories.
What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
A lot of movies make me cry. I cry when people die suddenly. Jokes or cute things make me smile.
Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
Everywhere as long as there isn't another person invading my space/energy.
What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
Social ineptitude? I hate how embarrassing I am.
What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
People like my openness and impartial nature. I'm cool.
In what areas of your life would you like help?
Social ability and laziness.
Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
When things don't go smoothly I get into a mindset where I have to transform the situation quickly into something else workable. If I can't do anything about it, I sit back and watch.
What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
I like tolerance and openness. I can get along with most people as long as we have something to talk about.
How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
I look for someone who is kind of a gateway to another world. I am into the social sciences for example, and am currently dating someone into the hard sciences. But we both share an interest in philosophy and art so we aren't complete opposites. They also need to hold their values high because I can get lazy with mine. They need to have a stable income and share similar future plans as I do. We need to have chemistry. They need to be demisexual and dominant in bed
If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
My child would be adopted. Most importantly I would want them to have access to objective information outside the ordinary school curriculum. I want him/her to be informed of international events. His/her dad will read them lots of fairytales. I don't know what else. I don't want to physically care for the child or interact that much with it. I don't want to be a mother.
A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
inward: YOU'RE NOT WHO I THOUGHT YOU WERE (first shock response) Then curiosity.
outward: so what makes you think that? (i am genuinely interested in their justification, i might even change my beliefs if they are good.)
Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
As a member of the first world, I have a duty to give back to society. I see people as self-interested and unco-operative. A prevalent social problem is inequality.
How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
A friend is anyone who accepts me and we have fun together. I take an interest in their life.
How do you behave around strangers?
I see strangers as potential friends.