Thread: Failures as Gems

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JadaeRat View Post
    So, I have been breeding plants since about the age of 12, but seriously since the age of 16. As Oregon is my 2nd home (South Dakota is my 1rst), and Portland is the City of Roses (it is, to those that do not know), this has been my concentration. However, I am also working on developing new cultivars of maples, blueberries, huckleberries, and salmonberries. I have a Hinoki Cypress being evaluated, but I think it is not unique enough to be noteworthy.

My concentration is on 2 things: color and uniqueness, and healthy plants that require minimal care. So, most roses are actually culled (thats a nice way of saying composted, which is a nice way of saying killed). Yes, it is a cruel world. But so is the limitation of space and time. Life's a bit of a ...well, you know ... a dame and sire!

Here are some that have been culled, despite being one of a kind:

Stipples are very rare, but it blackspotted badly.

Crayon orange -- very rare.... and was a slow grower.

A triploid, which is 3 sets of chromosomes, with chrorophyll IN the petals. The blooms lasted one month each.... and the plant refused to grow!

Well, the above two were my failed experiment into a new class called climbing minifloras, or very large miniatures, which climbed, that had tea-like blooms. The result: mildew everywhere.

Sometimes you raise a seedlings and there is nothing good or bad about it. It just sits and has middle-child syndrome. This was one of them. One one liked it. No one hated it. It wasnt good for further generations. Poor thing. It wasnt culled. It sits, untouched, 5 years later.

Sometimes half sisters have a lot in common. These two were exhibition type roses, that... defoliated by June from blackspot :] Bye bye sisters.

I hated this one .... lol.... Im horrible. But it was a sister to the green one and have the identical issue -- would not grow, but bloomed well. This often happens when vast genetics collide....

Bad photo.... great color... leafless plant :]

A failed experiment in using Rosa canina, a species rose from the UK. It was very healthy and very boring.

So those are among the worst of the failures, that went against my ideas or just failed to thrive.

Here are some that were sent for testing, and were stolen. I was not angry. People said I should be angry. I'm not very good at being angry for more than short bursts. It was my fault. I trusted a loon :]

Starts out like lemonade, ends up the color of pink lemonade!

This one was dazzling and carefree. Now, gone.

I lost about 21 cultivars this way, about 7 years ago, but I was totally naive about this. Some of them live on in new roses through genetics.

For example, this rose may be gone forever, with its unusual caramel color:

but it lives on through its kid, this one:

and even though it lost the very unusual color, it retained all the weather-resistant traits, and it is completely carefree to grow.

And then there were roses like this, that I lost by leaving at my LTR's ex's parent's home, and well, lol, oops. It was actually a masterpiece -- purple and silver, intense fragrance, easy to grow.... not perfect with diease though, but not bad.

I began to focus on carefree roses, from when a lot of people I know died to cancer. Now, I'll never know if carcinogens in chemicals killed them off. Who knows? Maybe it was age. But this became my gradual focus.

However, there are many, many more failures than these gems, but that's life, really. A lot of failures and the acceptance of those failures. Well, many did not work out, but some REALLY did. I'll post those later when I have the patience. There is no reason to focus on failures, but I can see that moment of time through them, and all the associated things. We all can, to our own, really.
    Thanks for posting these. I have so many different thoughts, I'll just share a few.

1. What an amazing world we live in. So full of beauty—even in failure.
    2. Your creativity, and also persistence even in the face of theft impresses me so much.
    3. I find it hard to dispose of things. This ruthlessness is a reminder that I don’t have to save everything. Thanks.
    4. I like the idea of carefree roses. Don’t care for pesticides.
    5. I would rather a rose smell good than look good. You?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

this is awesome, dude

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, a very interesting post!
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that red one. Gorgeous color and ruffles. I am not good at maintenance, so I like plants that don't need much attention. I have some climbing white roses called Lamarque that are doing very well with little help. I would think mildew would be a pretty big problem in Oregon. Have you heard about the Peggy Martin rose?

http://www.southernliving.com/home-g...0400000010299/
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k