Thread: Member Questionnaire (Nostalgia)

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Default Member Questionnaire (Nostalgia)

Member Questionnaire 1 (Nostalgia)
    What is beauty? What is love?
    Hm. I have not thought much about these concepts...Off the top of my head:

Beauty: Beauty is expressed through something that is pleasing to us. Beauty does not exist independently of the human mind.

Love: The natural, and in part irrational, process of becoming infatuated with someone or something. Perhaps long-lasting ''latent'' infatuation is what we call love. Strictly speaking, it is a strong emotional bond.
    What are your most important values?
    Intellectual integrity/honesty and compassion I would say. All of my values pretty much stem from these two main ones.
    Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
    None for religion. I have decided to suspend judgment on this matter for lack of sufficient reasons to believe one over the other. Spirituality is a bit different, but I guess I'll say no for this.
    Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
    Unfortunate, but necessary considering human nature when it comes to the question of war. That being said, I believe war should be the last resort of course. Especially in this day and age (nuclear weapons and all would probably be devastating to our planet).
    I see power as the capacity (either actual or potential) to be able to control others and protect yourself from harm or control.
    What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
    I can have long conversations about almost anything if the other person is interesting or is interested in what I say. My interests are diverse but I guess my main ones would have to be Philosophy (I’ve been asking philosophical questions since I was a kid), Social Sciences (I like understanding social issues and the human mind) and some hobbies like video games and just reading random stuff on the internet.
    Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
    Not much. I was interested in nutrition (because it goes along with working out) for a bit but that is about it. As for my body, it is hard to say but I am definitely not ‘’focused’’ on it. I might notice obvious things only after a long time.
    What do you think of daily chores?
    Boring as hell, but necessary in a sense. I try to limit myself to only absolutely necessary ones though so I can use my time for more interesting stuff. I'm sort of a minimalist.
    Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
    I don’t watch movies often but I usually Quentin Tarantino movies (Inglorious, Django, Pulp Fiction,etc.). Also, I tend to like some form of tragedy in my movies. It can't be a pure ''happy gol-lucky'' movie which is just boring. I also dislike pure black and white morality in movies.
    What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
    Any very deep emotional scenes (with symbolism, powerful lines, etc.) will usually make me teary eyed. For smiling, mostly when I find something amusing or if something is heart-warming. I tend to have a ''playful'' attitude when I'm socializing and comfortable about it (not too often). So I'll smirk a lot in those scenarios.
    Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
    None of these are common feelings to me. I guess my sense of belonging is with life itself. Sharing the human condition that is. For the environment, I guess when I take a solitary walk. Also I like looking at landscapes.
    What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
    Off the top of my head: people have told me I can sometimes be cold, ‘’weird’’, have my head in the clouds and lazy (except in a work setting where I am usually seen as hard-working for some reason).

What I dislike most of myself is my lack of motivation to actually START stuff. The first step is always the hardest for me. I also have a bit of social anxiety that goes along with this.
    What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
    Off the top of my head: people have told me I am smart, funny, curious and modest. Probably other things, but I don’t usually pay attention to compliments. I sometimes actually prefer people teasing me a bit more than them complimenting me.

What I like about myself I’m not sure…I guess my curiosity and sense of humor.
    In what areas of your life would you like help?
    Well, at the moment, it’s understanding myself better. I'm a mystery to myself. I have a tendency to adopt different ''personas'' which makes it even harder. I'm not sure if I just do it for fun or if there is a deeper reason.
    Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
    Yea, I am usually satisfied with little comfort and can lack ambition so I can go on long periods of inaction. I find it somewhat troublesome, especially if it happens nowadays now that I'm older.
    What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
    I like people that are intellectually curious, people that don’t take things personally and people that are not domineering…I have trouble with overly emotional people because I tend to detach from emotion when I’m debating or examining if something makes sense or not. Personal attacks in arguments are annoying as well.
    How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
    Romance and sex have not been priorities in my life thus far. I would like, most of all, an intellectual partner. Also someone who shares my child-like wonder of the world. Someone who has a good sense of humor. Someone a bit care-free.
    If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
    Make sure he/she is free to follow his natural interests. I would avoid being too domineering or controlling (hopefully).
    A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
    I would calmly ask him/her to explain his/her reasoning. Who knows, maybe they have some good points?
    If I find it an illogical position, I might laugh a bit but that’s about it. I'm assuming we're not talking about an insane/dangerous belief here because then my reaction would be different. From a bit of nervous laughter to possibly cutting ties with the person.
    Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
    My relationship to society is minimal. That is to say I relate to the human condition (humanity) in general, not a society in particular. A social problem would be a lack of education and poor sharing of resources (a lot of waste and inequality).
    How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
    I don’t ‘’choose’’ my friends. It just happens naturally. I make little effort to hold a friendship, other than respecting their views (if reasonable) and listening to them. If it demands too much effort, then it is not a genuine friendship.

As for behavior, I tend to tease my friends sporadically (with no bad intent of course) and try to support them in their goals or interests.
    How do you behave around strangers?
    I treat them as my equals and talk to them in a good-natured way. I like to ask them questions to get to know them personally.

Although this is usually only when the ice has already been broken. I might appear very aloof to strangers until they actually talk to me. I noticed I may tend to oscillate between these two extremes with people sometimes (warmness and coldness).
    Last edited by Nostalgia; 12-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.