Thread: Enneagram Descriptions by Joshua French

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram Descriptions by Joshua French

Some guy on Youtube's been making these cool video monologues about each of the E-types. Reactions, thought? I haven't seen all of them yet, but ones I have seen are pretty funny.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last set

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the first five minutes for the E8 description and he's accurate while also being a bit humorous. I'm not nearly as aggressive as Mr. French seems to suggest but the bit about fight-or-flight response is definitely true for me and I do like to buy nice things and eat out at nice places. The blunt honestly is also true, but also knowing when to keep quiet is important. Also, I think E8s who think that they're big and important is an unhealthy attitude unless their status is undeniably true. Even then, it's best to keep that type of attitude in check since no one likes an arrogant 8.

I don't really have the patience to watch the rest or the others but otherwise it's pretty good.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I related to both the 7 and 8 ones, not so much the 9. People have generally agreed the ENTj typing, but people have thrown all sorts of enneagram types at me and I haven't studied it in great depth, so I'm not totally sure about enneatype.

Something to think about, I suppose.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

he talkema with his hands...
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched all the videos and found them amusing and think they can probably be helpful. Can see some people I know very strongly in some of the descriptions and I liked the rl examples. Could relate most to the 9 (and should probably just stop questioning it at some point), but also to parts of 1,4 and 5.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only about 5 minutes in. There are a few issues I have with it, but he also just totally described me in every relationship I've ever had soooooo I'll give him a thumbs up.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided I like this guy.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the E4 video. This is exactly me. I've been through all the stages from happiness to deepest despair. Some of things he said were exactly the things I used to say. For me a way of getting happiness back is playing guitar and singing. It usually works just fine.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally watched them all...well, not the entire videos, some I stopped at some point.

In my youth (to about 24years old), the e4 video fits eerily well all the way to the breakdown and suicidal thoughts (thankfully I wasn't actually suicidal). Virtually word for word.
    Then I found out I was pregnant, and those youthful fears had to take a back seat. e6 best fits this time of my life, both phobic and counter-phobic. (The description of the hamlet and the train/subway guy totally fits, lol.) But some of the e4 colors it as well.

Now with my daughter soon to be 18 and I no longer responsible for her well-being, I wonder what will change. The fears coming up are related to having about 20 years left of reasonably functioning mind/body and what to use that time for. Particularly since the past 40 years have been pretty much wasted in terms of knowledge&skill acquisition. But I still lack a drive to succeed. Though I also now feel a need/duty to contribute to a community/peoples.

How are 6&4 related? (Besides both filled with doubt and questioning, heh.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I finally watched them all...well, not the entire videos, some I stopped at some point.

In my youth (to about 24years old), the e4 video fits eerily well all the way to the breakdown and suicidal thoughts (thankfully I wasn't actually suicidal). Virtually word for word.
    Then I found out I was pregnant, and those youthful fears had to take a back seat. e6 best fits this time of my life, both phobic and counter-phobic. (The description of the hamlet and the train/subway guy totally fits, lol.) But some of the e4 colors it as well.

Now with my daughter soon to be 18 and I no longer responsible for her well-being, I wonder what will change. The fears coming up are related to having about 20 years left of reasonably functioning mind/body and what to use that time for. Particularly since the past 40 years have been pretty much wasted in terms of knowledge&skill acquisition. But I still lack a drive to succeed. Though I also now feel a need/duty to contribute to a community/peoples.

How are 6&4 related? (Besides both filled with doubt and questioning, heh.)
    6 and 4 (and 8) are all reactive
    @Galen good stuff thx for posting (only watched the E6)
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 11-03-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    I've decided I like this guy.
    I know he's adorable!

He self-types as 4w3. Sx primary on top of that? Pi-IXFp as well.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His E5 ramble and E1 anger explosion made me laugh the most. I found myself relating more to his E5 state of enlightenment than the E6 one; I explicitly remember back in my lion king whatever thing telling myself that I was experiencing the feeling of knowing without it being attached to the external world.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I know he's adorable!

He self-types as 4w3. Sx primary on top of that? Pi-IXFp as well.
    That explains it. My bf is sx 4w3 Si-ISFp haha

TIM
    ILE, E5 so/sx, INTP
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are pretty tits
    ILE; INTP
    5w6 so; rcUe|I|;

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WELP

*slams hand on table*

THAT WAS HORRIBLE.

Class dismissed!

For the most part he just described aspects of enfj's.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    WELP

*slams hand on table*

THAT WAS HORRIBLE.

Class dismissed!

For the most part he just described aspects of enfj's.
    clarify plz??? They all seemed rather on point to me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In American History X the main character Derek played by Edward Norton is a cp6w7. Aside from him being my mirror I think he is my type twin. This is a reoccurring problem when people try to describe cp6. For anyone who is not familiar with enneagram and would give an analysis of his behaviour it would be that his extreme behaviour is an expression of his emotional issues; his difficulty coping with the death of his father. Instead of processing it he is turning his negative emotions outwards as malice, hate and anger. This makes it difficult to really formulate the differences between cp6 and 8, and it doesn't go away as easily as trying to say that Derek wants to prove that he's not afraid. The projection that is constructed by Derek that gives rise to these racist ideas could occur in any type in the same scenario as a difficulty in dealing with the death of a family member. Now the problem in his case is that he overreacts and thinks of himself as a fool for not believing in his father's racism, which is clearly portrayed as Derek expresses a like for his Afro-american teacher which the father doesn't approve of. Then when the father (a fireman) is shot when doing his job in a black neighborhood the mix of feeling so naive in combination with a big loss is what creates this racism in him. The "fight" reaction here is that he goes about it with full force while later calms down and starts to realize the mistake that he made. And that is characteristic for cp6.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clarify plz??? They all seemed rather on point to me.
    A lot of things he's talking about, the pride and dignity of not looking scared in front of others when eating raw octopus, etc. those are all things my enfj friend would do and not myself. Makes me think its all just enfj stuff he's talking about. He made a few good points. I'm not sure what he meant by 8's being as small as a kernel inside. I suppose that could be true, but I always felt that was an e3 thing. he did make a few good points about how the 8's strength is just simple energy and happiness, although he was awfully vague.

I give the guy credit for putting himself out there but I think he needs to work on a few key points.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    A lot of things he's talking about, the pride and dignity of not looking scared in front of others when eating raw octopus, etc. those are all things my enfj friend would do and not myself. Makes me think its all just enfj stuff he's talking about. He made a few good points. I'm not sure what he meant by 8's being as small as a kernel inside. I suppose that could be true, but I always felt that was an e3 thing. he did make a few good points about how the 8's strength is just simple energy and happiness, although he was awfully vague.

I give the guy credit for putting himself out there but I think he needs to work on a few key points.
    You're still not E8.

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found myself relating more to his E5 state of enlightenment than the E6 one; I explicitly remember back in my lion king whatever thing telling myself that I was experiencing the feeling of knowing without it being attached to the external world.

I think his description of E6 is closer to 7 wing than 5 wing, which could cause your problems indentifying with it.

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy seems to be a really likeable person, although all his advices are offered without trying to detach from his E4 perspective, which could cause them to be counterproductive in some cases.

I identify mostly with E1, E3 and E5. Some of E6 attributes are shared, like the tension state, but I simply can't stand the E6 pack mentality, the "us vs them", their need to submit (even if later they reject) any kind of authority (many times in the form of a "god"). I have always felt more like "me againts the rest of the world" so to speak, and their attitude is seen as a form or "ego-prostitution". People who share my values or goals are individual "colleages" who push in the same direction, never an extension of myself (obviously I'm talking about severely disintegrated 6s).

E3 is the most problematic enneagram for me, in the sense I know I share some of their aspects but I'm never sure how much. The "I focus in my aim" and "need achievement for feeling good" is true, but it's more an internally stablished one. The need for recognition is another form of "ego-prostitution" (I guess this can apply to all center types) which I do not share, or not in their average level at least.

I laughed a lot with the E1 washing hands because it's sooo true for me. Not particularly interested in ordering stuff except maybe my desk. The unbearable strong supergo (general sense, not socionics) also applies. Maybe my need for achieving a goal, reaching an aim (internal) just as an E1 trying to achieve the state of perfection that only exists in his mind...

One of my favorite characters explains it very well:

...PURPOSE.
    Last edited by MensSuperMateriam; 11-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MensSuperMateriam View Post
    I think his description of E6 is closer to 7 wing than 5 wing, which could cause your problems indentifying with it.
    Yeah, that makes sense. He also doesn't go into instincts at all, although I sent a brief message ask if he would consider it.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say that his E5 description can sound more like a doofy Ti-type than anything else, especially with the Steampunk girl rambling on and on about her character. My impression of 5s is that they can use their accumulated wealth of knowledge, whether implicitly or overtly, to bolster some sense of superiority against the stupid people on the outside. He kinda sorta touches on that near the end, but that aspect of 5s really stands out to me. His land survey map rant made me laugh though, since I can imagine myself really getting into a monologue about the obscure shit I like a lot.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy seems stupid and unfunny to me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's because you're wrong

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's because you're dumb
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.