Thread: Rules for being more satisfied with your life

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rules for being more satisfied with your life

I am frustrated with myself. I feel like it often takes adrenalin for me to get stuff done. I frequently wait til the last minute and then act at the last minute. This results in not doing everything I really wanted to do, and sometimes the quality is not what it could have been if I had taken more time. So maybe I need to post some rules for myself.

If you were going to post a few rules for yourself, to help you be more satisfied with your life, what would they be?

Mine would be:
    1. Make a plan today.
    2. Stick to the plan.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep adrenaline high.

Do things. Poke thing. Prod things.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I have no problem in making plans for myself and sticking to them, in fact I almost do it regularly. My rules would be...

My rules are "to do" things..

1. organize clothes in a certain way.
    2. organize my menu planning.

TIM
    EIE 9w8-5-4 s?
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I prefer going for small, specific concrete goals which build towards a pleasing overarching effect. One pebble every day, so to speak. Small goals are also much easier to push oneself towards when you're not particularly motivated to do, well, anything.

No, absolutely NO, computer access in the morning on waking up.
    IF(computer=TRUE) <- wasted!morning #due to using internet as numbing agent for anxiety, stress and general mal-etre. Also I may be in the middle of reading something interesting, which will have the same outward effect.

#Corollary:
    IF(computer=FALSE) <- doing!chores, relocating!outsideofroom #which are healthier actions for me at this point and more likely to lead to productive actions. Not necessarily, but much higher probability.

Bonus: Guess what I've been doing all afternoon.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were going to post a few rules for yourself, to help you be more satisfied with your life, what would they be?
    The timing for this topic fits with what I have been working on the past few days. I've been choosing from and condensing down old notes I had taken from various readings and attempts at self-improvements. Mine aren't intended to be rules, but more like lenses - ways of viewing the world and ways of helping myself focus myself into where/how I want to be. I guess you could say it's the same thing, but the different labels give me different feels.

1. Be the Change I wish to see.

* Small Continuous Changes - one small step/thought can change your life.
    * 5 Whys - to find the smallest step for greatest benefit. (helps to clarify one's values/principles from which to build/work from)
    * Turn Resistance into "yes" - break actions/thoughts down into smallest bits which yield no further resistance. (don't awaken the amygdala!!)
    * Formula for Change = D x V x S > R
    . . . The tension gap (between Dissatisfaction with current reality vs Vision of what is possible) plus achievable first Steps must be greater than the Resistance, obstacles, and costs of change which changing would face/create.

2. Have Compassion Toward Others (and Self)

* Heroes- Everyone is the hero of their own story. Which story are they living/creating? (Orphan, Wanderer, Warrior, Martyr, Magician)
    * Small Moments - Be grateful for even the smallest things, especially in relationships.
    * Letting Go - Serenity Prayer (- god)
    * Trust people to learn through their experiencing the natural consequences of their own actions. (consequences does not mean punishment)
    * Reduce ill-will:
    . . . equality - all living things are equal
    . . . reciprocity - do not act towards others in a way which you would not want them to act towards you.

3. Minimize Things, People, Ideas I track.

* 150 Relationships - what humans are estimated to be capable of tracking, this means putting in energy, time, focus, memory, etc towards. Refers to relationships with things, people, ideas, projects/goals, etc.
    . . . Intimate, Fire Circle (12ish)
    . . . Meaningful & Recipricol (+24ish)
    . . . Creative and Collaborative (+14ish)
    . . . Peripheral (max +100ish)
    * 80/20 - Will I use this TPI for 80% of time/work?
    * Self-Reliance - I am my primary resource. Trust my own abilities, actions, and adaptability over tools and stuff. "When we do things for ourselves, and it costs us in time and effort, it forces us to consider whether it's worth doing at all."
    * Simplify Goals - Small Continuous Changes

Yes, I have a ways to go, but Small Continuous Changes will help me feel like I'm getting there.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use adrenaline from other "stuff" to get things done. Example, I go running for one hour, quickly shower and then try to get as much work done as possible in the next 2 hours. Or I'll go out with some friends for a drink and then work for another 90 mins while I'm still excited from the human interaction.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Arnold shows the commitment of drive of LSE

1. Trust yourself...who do you want to be. Figure out what makes you happy. Listen to inside your heart and head. I guess he wanted to step out of his comfort zone.
    2. Break rules
    3. don't be afraid to fail
    4. Ignore the nay sayers
    5. Work hard. LOL work 16 hours haha...such an LSE thing to do.
    6. Give back. this is where my heart is. Look beyond yourself, balance your selfish needs.