Thread: Your opinion about your representatives

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your opinion about your representatives

How do you feel about your elected officials? Are yours doing a good job of representing you? Do you like them, and does that matter to you?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somewhat? One state representative had a bill that protected the privacy of handgun permit-holders, which I agreed with. Another bill by the same guy gave eminent domain powers to private companies, allowing them to condemn private property if, for example, a power company wanted to build a substation in a specific location currently on private property, etc. I did not agree with that. For the most part, I approve of very few laws that are passed in the House, Senate and my state's legislature. I also disagree almost entirely with the idealogies of every president who has been in office since I was born. I also think congress should be less productive. As far back as I remember, the quantity of laws has been more important than the quality, further, there are so many bills debated and voted on in both houses that it's nearly impossible for a representative or senator to thoroughly read through and reflect upon the potential impact of each bill, both of which should be required imo. My faith in elected representatives will grow tenfold when we(mass media) measure the productivity of congress by the quality, legality and thoughtfulness of the laws instead of how many bills are pushed through in a given session.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    somewhat? One state representative had a bill that protected the privacy of handgun permit-holders, which I agreed with. Another bill by the same guy gave eminent domain powers to private companies, allowing them to condemn private property if, for example, a power company wanted to build a substation in a specific location currently on private property, etc. I did not agree with that. For the most part, I approve of very few laws that are passed in the House, Senate and my state's legislature. I also disagree almost entirely with the idealogies of every president who has been in office since I was born. I also think congress should be less productive. As far back as I remember, the quantity of laws has been more important than the quality, further, there are so many bills debated and voted on in both houses that it's nearly impossible for a representative or senator to thoroughly read through and reflect upon the potential impact of each bill, both of which should be required imo. My faith in elected representatives will grow tenfold when we(mass media) measure the productivity of congress by the quality, legality and thoughtfulness of the laws instead of how many bills are pushed through in a given session.
    I agree 100%. Too many laws, too many legislators. I think they love to listen to themselves pontificate, as well. So, too much hot air. More laws increase the need for more lawyers and bureaucrats. Do we the people really need all of these laws?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    I hadn't bothered to pay attention to "my" elected reps:

They look boring and irresponsibly self-assured.
    The one on the left looks like the kind of person who looks over your head while shaking your hand to see who else is at the party.