Thread: Hello

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello.

Hello there. My name is Patrycja and I'm from Central Europe. The mainly reason I've registered here is that I want to improve my english. So... I hope you'll help me about that. ;> Oh, and I think my socionics type is LII.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid you will not improve your English much here. Your English is already considerably better than many of the native speakers. Forum members tend to be young and American thus basically illiterate.

I bet they could teach you how to text though.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ILI 5w6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You registered here to improve your Engrish? WHY

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Your english seems pretty good, welcome to the forum.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I registered to improve my Russian

Welcome

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hello, Patty.
    I hope you don't start using chatspeak. This is a forum, after all. It's not as bad as the social networking sites, but some of these people still don't know how to use apostrophes correctly.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

retired
    TIM
    Se
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a second I thought your username was moo.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nigh; 10-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Patrycja, I'm from Europe too and new here as well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! Which country in Central Europe?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for welcome.

I'm aware of that it isn't perfect place to improve anything, but to speak English fluently, have to use it in practice, and I still think it's good idea to try it here.
    I'm learning English for few years, and I'm still not satisfied with the results. I know words but I have a problem to set them in the right order. I know grammar rules - mostly in theory, so I have a problem to use right tense in practise (we have only three tenses in my native language).

I'm from Poland

And great thanks for ragnar who took my ask seriously and corrected my flaws.
    Last edited by moo; 10-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Theory and practice are two different animals.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muu View Post
    Hello there. My name is Patrycja and I'm from Central Europe. The mainly reason I've registered here is that I want to improve my english. So... I hope you'll help me about that. ;> Oh, and I think my socionics type is LII.
    Welcome! Since you want to improve your English, allow me to assist you by providing a critique of your posts in this thread. Corrections are highlighted in red:

Hello there. My name is Patrycja and I'm from Central Europe. The main reason I've registered here is that I want to improve my English. So... I hope you'll help me with that. ;> Oh, and I think my Socionics type is LII.

No need for the -ly suffix. An adverb is inappropriate here. Simply put, improving your English is the main reason you registered an account. An appropriate usage of mainly would be something like the following: "I joined the forum mainly to improve my English."

For the second mistake, with works a lot better in place of about. "I hope you'll help me with that." Otherwise, good job on the spelling, and good job on the proper use of contractions.

The words I put in green are relatively minor errors, but they would matter if you were writing formally. Remember to always capitalize proper nouns, as you did for Central Europe.

Now on to your next post, with my corrections:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm aware of that this isn't the perfect place to improve anything. But to speak English fluently, [I/you] have to use it in practice, and I still think it's a good idea to try it here. I've been learning English for a few years, and I'm still not satisfied with the results. I know words but I have a problem with setting them in the right order. I know grammar rules mostly in theory, but I have a problem with using the right tense in practise (we have only three tenses in my native language). I'm from Poland. And great thanks to ragnar who took my question seriously and corrected my flaws.

This place is usually very informal, so don't worry if you forget a comma or you didn't capitalize a word or two. I am only doing this as a service for you, to help you along in your goal of improving your English.

You will undoubtedly see many examples of improper and colloquial English as you read the forum. Some of the words or abbreviations you encounter may be specific to the Internet and text messaging culture, like acronyms or shorthand spelling. If you run into anything you don't understand, and you can't find it in the dictionary, websites like Urban Dictionary or Acronym Finder can be very useful, if you understand the context of what was said.

There's one last thing I feel I should mention, and I hope I don't offend you with what I'm about to say. You may want to consider anglicizing your name when communicating with a mostly English-speaking audience. As a native speaker born in the United States, I can tell you that Patrycja is impossible to pronounce as you have spelled it. It's also unclear if the name might belong to a man or a woman. Since your name is, in fact, feminine (thanks Google!), the English equivalent is spelled Patricia. However, it's your name, so if you don't want to use an anglicization then no problem. It's not very important whether you do or don't.

Good luck, and once again welcome to the community!

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    GET OVER IT ABBIE! LIFE IS NOT PERFECT. Grammar is NOT PERFECT. STOP BEING SO ANAL AND STEP OUTSIDE for once. Go get drunk and play in traffic. Just for FUN.
    Actually, one could make a fairly good argument that grammar is perfect.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling someone "Patty" is rude, Abbie.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reasoning behind the joining sounds suspect, haha.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, Patrycja! I'm from Finland and I've learned my English mostly on online forums! The best way to learn a new language is to just use it, so you're on the right track here. Of course I learned some grammar and new words at school but I never did my homework... I spent my free time actually reading and writing the language. Back in the day, there was much less chatspeak on online forums.

The particular difficulties you're experiencing with English depend on your native language. For example, I don't struggle with putting words in the right order, but I have troubles figuring out when to use words like in, at, on... they all seem the same to me! A and the are also hard for me because there are no articles like that in my native language.

Then again, English natives seem to be struggling with their language, too. They have huge troubles with things like its/it's and their/there/they're...

BTW, I've visited Poland once (Gdansk and Poznan) and liked my visit. You Polish people seemed really nice... but your language is impossible to learn!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Calling someone "Patty" is rude, Abbie.
    It's easier to pronounce than her name. I didn't think she'd mind.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry for taking so long to write you back. I forgot.

Capitalist Pig, I want to thank you, your explanations have helped me to understand for what I should call attention to during learning.

As for my name, Patrycja is pronounced the same way as Patricia. It may be funny but I haven't got a clue, there can be a problem to distinguish if it's male or female name. Mabye it's because in my native language all female names ends at "a".

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Dix View Post
    BTW, I've visited Poland once (Gdansk and Poznan) and liked my visit. You Polish people seemed really nice... but your language is impossible to learn!
    and vice versa, even Chinese is easier to learn than Finnish. ;d I've never been in this two country in Poland, as a matter of fact I've been to few places. I don't travel. I prefer just sit at home and watch TV.

About Englishh grammar, the funny thing is that I have trouble with prepositions too, BUT there are articles like that in my native language. They just aren't always analogue to each other.