View Poll Results: Choose your favorite book(s) of the Bible.

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

4 14.29%
  • Exodus

1 3.57%
  • Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

0 0%
  • Joshua

0 0%
  • Judges

1 3.57%
  • Ruth, Esther

0 0%
  • 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel

1 3.57%
  • 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles

0 0%
  • Ezra, Nehemiah

1 3.57%
  • Job, Psalms, Song of Solomon

3 10.71%
  • Proverbs, Ecclesiastes

10 35.71%
  • Isaiah

3 10.71%
  • Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel

0 0%
  • Daniel

1 3.57%
  • Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah

0 0%
  • Jonah

0 0%
  • Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

0 0%
  • Matthew, Mark, Luke

2 7.14%
  • John

4 14.29%
  • Acts, Romans

0 0%
  • 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians

1 3.57%
  • Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians

2 7.14%
  • 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy

1 3.57%
  • Titus, Philemon, Hebrews

0 0%
  • James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude

0 0%
  • Revelation

7 25.00%
  • I couldn't tell one from another.

3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite book of the Bible?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default What's your favorite book of the Bible?

I tried to separate them into similar themes.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ahhh, thanks, DA.

The Apocalypse.

A.k.a., Book of Revelation.

Try The Thunder, Perfect Mind next time.

Ye faithful Christian.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"ENFj" 7w6 sp/sx.

You have a signature as thick as William and Maritsa, Jadae.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"18:25 And Saul said, Thus shall ye say to David, The king desireth not any dowry, but an hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to be avenged of the king's enemies. But Saul thought to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines."

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yay.

Those are taken out of context even if they read "real historical context", Anglas.

But still, stick to your Bible intellectual source.

Yay.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Revelation was very abstract. Song of Solomon always bored me.
    I love the historical parts of the Old Testament the most. Judges in particular. It's just one hero story after another. Bad-guys getting crushed and gutted. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglas View Post
    "18:25 And Saul said, Thus shall ye say to David, The king desireth not any dowry, but an hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to be avenged of the king's enemies. But Saul thought to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines."
    Samuel. I read that a couple of times. Great adventure story.
    The king is jealous, so he tells this teenager to kill a bunch of enemies in hopes of getting him killed. (The foreskins bit was just to prove he was killing Philistines and not Jews.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gospel of thomas

Simon Peter said to him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of life."
    Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven."

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The apocalypse. Then there are some creepy as hell stories that I find interesting (like the one where two daughters drug and rape their dad because they want to have babies with him) but I don't remember which book they belong to and if the book is interesting as a whole.
    Last edited by willekeurig; 09-30-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i haven't read all of it but i remember paging through it and liking john.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

never read it.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    The apocalypse. Then there are some creepy as hell stories that I find interesting (like the one where two daughters drug and rape their dad because they want to have babies with him) but I don't remember which book they belong to and if the book is interesting as a whole.
    That's Genesis. After Lot (Abraham's nephew) and his family flee the city God destroys (and Lot's wife is turned to salt), he and his daughters (whose fiances were just killed) end up as sort of hermits, so those girls got desperate and wanted babies. There was a man around...
    Anyway, they had two sons and their descendants are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    never read it.
    That's what the last option is for.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Peter 5:8-11
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
    Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
    But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
    To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Song of Songs obviously.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a favorite book of the Bible. But I have some random favorite verses. One that means a lot to me is from the book of Titus: "At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy."
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. The New Testament is complete shit. None of you have any taste. It's not as literary and all you get is Jesus and some pussy ass God. No action.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Scapegrace, there is action in the New Testament too. Paul had quite a few adventures. Shipwreck, snakebite, earthquake, escaping over a city wall. Admittedly there's very little war compared to the Old Testament, but it's a shorter time period and they were under Roman rule.

The New Testament could span a single lifetime. The Old Testament sometimes crams generations into a chapter.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Passion of The Christ was the most violent movie I've ever seen. It dwarfs everything else by comparison. Not virtually everything, but 100% everything.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

hard to choose but the prophets remind me of my mom
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    What's your favorite book of the Bible?
    My favorite books - judging by how often I've come back to them over the years - would be Ecclesiastes, Revelation, Isaiah, 1. John, Hoshea and Ezekiel, appx in that order.

Ecclesiastes because of it's philosophical message, Revelation because of it's structure, language and lofty themes rather opposite to those of Ecclesiastes, Isaiah for it's diversity and wealth of content, 1. John for it's language, Hoshea for it's straightforwardness and pure language; and finally Ezekiel, partly for the curious sleep-inducing ILI-like monotony as recited in the mechon-mamre recordings.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
    I remember many years ago there was a TV series "The prophets of Israel" (נביאי ישראל) originally from Israeli TV where Hannah's prayer in 1. Sam ch 2 was recited in singing, with a catchy melody I still remember; I've been looking for ages on youtube and other places for information on how to get hold of these recordings or at least see them again and I would appreciate any relevant info.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Not virtually everything, but 100% everything.
    Nowadays you can also say "Not literally everything, but, like, 100% everything" since the word literally can also be used as an intensifier according to Merriam Webster and others.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    LSI- Se 6w5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genesis. I like creation stories.

Religion was my favourite subject at school.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

God doesn't know whether he wants to be this peaceful liberal hippie or this really mean person who punishes people for stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, just to be an asshole. I suppose it's meant to represent the struggle between nice and naughty that we all go through. I think when taken in that sense the bible isn't so destructive, instead of thinking of it as you know like this actual deity we are to obey... OR ELSE. (I also question the notion that I have to worship something just because it supposedly created me, it seems to only make sense on a very elementary level.)

Also punishing somebody for eternity just because they didn't follow your rules, like FOREVER AND EVER is the most assholeish thing imaginable. I couldn't wish that on the world's worst homophobe.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I connected somewhat to Nehemiah. I read he's typed as INFp. He was a bit doom and gloomy and fearful of incurring his deity's wrath for me, but aside from that, he saw a future and orchestrated and projected and studied and had a strong will. Societal change for the health of each. I liked that. Can't say it's my favorite, but meh.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um, it occurs to me I found the WRITING STYLE of Mark very..attractive. I DID, though! I later found propositions online that that book is Se-influenced. I could see it.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    I connected somewhat to Nehemiah. I read he's typed as INFp. He was a bit doom and gloomy and fearful of incurring his deity's wrath for me, but aside from that, he saw a future and orchestrated and projected and studied and had a strong will. Societal change for the health of each. I liked that. Can't say it's my favorite, but meh.
    mommy reminder
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm astounded that nobody has mentioned Job.

Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.
    Dost thou know when God disposed them, and caused the light of his cloud to shine?
    Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wondrous works of him which is perfect in knowledge?
    How thy garments are warm, when he quieteth the earth by the south wind?
    Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?
    Teach us what we shall say unto him; for we cannot order our speech by reason of darkness.
    Shall it be told him that I speak? if a man speak, surely he shall be swallowed up.
    And now men see not the bright light which is in the clouds: but the wind passeth, and cleanseth them.
    Fair weather cometh out of the north: with God is terrible majesty.
    Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict.

Job 37:14-23

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Probably Ecclesiastes.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's no option for the table of contents

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Imma crash the party. My favorite books are the texts that were deliberately NOT included in Bible.

http://listverse.com/2012/07/06/10-b...new-testament/

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Galatians.

from Galatians 5:13-26 -

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
    14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”...

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
    17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
    18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
    20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
    21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
    23 gentleness and self-control.
    Against such things there is no law.
    24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
    25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
    26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 08-20-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Galatians favorites:

Galatians 6: 7-9

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Galatians 6:14

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Galatians 2:20

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then, there is SO MUCH from Isaiah! I am thinking of this wonderful chorus from Handels Messiah:"

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way. And the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all."
    (Isaiah 53: 6)

But, just so, so much of Isaiah, all of this immortalized below in Handel's astounding work:

"Ev'ry valley shall be exalted, and ev'ry moutain and hill made low; the crooked straight and the rough places plain.
    (Isaiah 40: 4)

"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call His name Emmanuel, God with us."
    (Isaiah 7: 14)

"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light;
    and they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. "
    (Isaiah 9: 2)

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
    (Isaiah 9: 6)

He was despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
    (Isaiah 53: 3)
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job prophesies the truth of the resurrection of our bodies: We shall see God, in our flesh:

"I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand
    at the latter day upon the earth.
    And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God."

(Job 19: 25-26)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think reading Book of Revelation to xSI types should do the trick. It needs my personal touch, though.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gospel of Thomas

(and that quote about women was talking about masculinity in a spiritual sense, it's not some kind of sexism)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast