Thread: Cross Fit

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Cross Fit

There was a time during which I considered trying out Cross Fit because I do like the high intensity/short duration thing, but I was intimidated by the group dynamic. I am not all that comfortable with a group of people cheering me on and I don't think it necessarily makes me push harder. My friend lost 100 Ibs doing Cross Fit and she says that the group support was key for her. She also found it to be very empowering because all fitness levels are welcome and embraced (she is a trainer today). I suspect she is ISFp.

If you are doing Cross Fit, how does the group think work for you? If you don't do Cross Fit, do you find the group support appealing? Is this type-related (has got to be, no?)? I was too lazy to make a poll....
    Last edited by Kim; 09-29-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Drop crossfit altogether.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Drop crossfit altogether.
    Well, I have. I prefer lonely workouts.
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Well, I have. I prefer lonely workouts.
    That's the start.

Focusing on a particular part of body is next step.

It can be even done when one is pinned to a wheelchair, with success.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I would probably feel as ridiculous taking on the encouragement as I would giving it. It feels unnatural and insincere.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Edit to add: I am not looking for advice whether or not I should do Cross Fit. I am interested in how people feel towards this way of working out in a supportive group.
    Not interested and crossfit is a salad of a fitness. Abomination even.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Not interested and crossfit is a salad of a fitness. Abomination even.
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LUL!

Fitness is all about concentration and focus, Animal, so if you have none I would advise stop thinking about it and get 'treated' for ADHD. Besides, crossfit treats fitness as marine corp treats "their" martial arts - a salad.

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of crossfit for people who aren't self-motivated or need to be pressured by cheering crowds of abnormally excited weirdos into maintaining their health.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exercising in joyless isolation seems to me more weird than doing it with a group, tbh. And I like being around people whose capacity to express excitement hasn't been brutalized out of them by life's stultifying onslaught of imperatives.

That said, I exercise alone more often than not, though not without appreciation of the absurdity of what I do.)
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Exercising in joyless isolation seems to me more weird than doing it with a group, tbh. And I like being around people whose capacity to express excitement hasn't been brutalized out of them by life's stultifying onslaught of imperatives.

That said, I exercise alone more often than not, though not without appreciation of the absurdity of what I do.)
    Yes, I agree. If you absolutely must exercise joylessly, do it in a group. As for me, I'll continue joyfully exercising alone, taking in the wildlife and gulping down low-hanging fruit as I prance through the swamp unweighted by throngs of miserable, self-loathing sloths who happen to be exceptionally adept at reminding themselves to smile and cheering on others and patting bums and clapping and hooting and patting bums.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    Yes, I agree. If you absolutely must exercise joylessly, do it in a group. As for me, I'll continue joyfully exercising alone, taking in the wildlife and gulping down low-hanging fruit as I prance through the swamp unweighted by throngs of miserable, self-loathing sloths who happen to be exceptionally adept at reminding themselves to smile and cheering on others and patting bums and clapping and hooting and patting bums.
    I wish you all the best in your joyful prancing.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    CrossFit seems like a gimmick. Just start running.

I usually dislike exercising w/ others b/c our desired intensity levels may not match.
    running is to get skinny/do cardio

crossfit (for those I know trying to do it) is for trying to tone/bulk up.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seasonal gymnasts...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seasonal gymnasts...

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I've never tried cross fit but I remember @applejacks saying that she was really into it.

I personally prefer to workout alone. My gym offers so many different classes for members, and I haven't taken any of them because I dislike working out with groups of people.

I do like working out with personal trainers one on one though, especially SLE's, because they push you really hard. To me, Se motivation is the best kind. Whenever I would work out with my SLE I would always feel extra sore the next day. It was awesome.
    extra sore :}

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kim, are you looking for advice on whether or not you should do crossfit?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    @Kim, are you looking for advice on whether or not you should do crossfit?
    Anything goes at this point.
    Last edited by Kim; 09-29-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't work out. There's no work involved in what I do. I don't need to be motivated and I don't need discipline because I just play. I do what's fun. It's fun to run, jump, skip, and balance. It's fun to do handstands, bike or skate. Sometimes it's fun to see how much I can lift, or test my physical abilities. I don't have a purpose to any of it.

I've joined running groups before and running with other people does often make me work harder - but work harder for what? Some people have specific goals they want to meet, and I completely understand that, and if I had a specific fitness goal then I would take a different approach. But, I just have fun and as a side effect I am healthy and in decent shape.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    I don't work out. There's no work involved in what I do. I don't need to be motivated and I don't need discipline because I just play. I do what's fun. It's fun to run, jump, skip, and balance. It's fun to do handstands, bike or skate. Sometimes it's fun to see how much I can lift, or test my physical abilities. I don't have a purpose to any of it.

I've joined running groups before and running with other people does often make me work harder - but work harder for what? Some people have specific goals they want to meet, and I completely understand that, and if I had a specific fitness goal then I would take a different approach. But, I just have fun and as a side effect I am healthy and in decent shape.
    You silly Ti dom...

... it is not about goals nor the size of your biceps that you measure using your silly Ti skills every now and then (you silly beta), it is about being fit and staying fit.

But if you believe it is, feel free to do Animal's mantra yoga meditation super fit classes. Not unless you're supeh Ahnie on powder supplements and anabolic steroids promoting the "healthy" lifestyle and at the same time having an open heart surgery, of course.

Heil the role model.
    Last edited by Absurd; 09-29-2013 at 08:03 PM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please be careful not to push yourself too hard, though. Working in a group setting where everyone is trying to keep up with everyone else, andpush each other to the limit can be dangerous if taken too high. Look up Rhabdomyolysis and stories of people getting this after crossfit workouts.

About crossfit and some rhabdo stories: https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d
    About Rhabdomylosis: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000473.htm
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They can't do Socionics neither fitness, anndelise. Relax.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do crossfit at a small affliate designed for people just getting into it. Some gyms will suck or not work for you, just like any gym, its just magnified because your not in total control and have to interact more. Plus they are affliliates/franchises and I've heard the corporate heads at crossfit are kinda moneygrubbing jerks but that is pretty common with corps now.... Just google online guides for what to look for in a crossfit gym.
    You should always be going at your own pace, but enough to stress yourself so you get better. That's what exercise is...You might be just going through the motions until you get the exercises down though and your in decent shape.

@mfckr most of the people I know who are "serious" about weightlifitng are only decent at weightlifting. Thats not the point of crossfit, which is basically crosstraining for general sport and fitness. I enjoy it because I get tired as fuck of just weightlifting and have no desire to be massive. Crossfit does have you doing effective big compound olympic style lifts which are superior for most sports. Rhabdo is NOT a very common thing and it mostly involves idiots who push too hard. Both coaches and athlete are at blame for that. If they are screaming at you the first day you came in there you shouldn't go to that place lol.
    Last edited by jughead; 10-07-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: formating

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murph is a challenge workout, not something you do weekly but monthly or every few months to see progress. You have to already be in good shape to do it safely. 100 pullups is really only valid if your doing kipping pullups, otherwise that amount is insane. It's more like 40-50 regular pullups if your proficient at kipping. Also the 20 lb vest is optional. I'm pretty sure most field soldiers could easily do this workout. I've done it once without the vest and felt fine. T-nation has quite a bodybuilder/weightlifting bias anyhow.