Thread: For anyone dealing with teens to 25yo(or will be, muhahahah)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For anyone dealing with teens to 25yo...(or will be, muhahahah)

A ted talk by a brain scientist about the changes teen brains go through, and how biologically we aren't adults until about 25yo.

Considering some of the things I am going through with my teen daughter right now, this video seems like it will help me be a little more patient with her.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    A ted talk by a brain scientist about the changes teen brains go through, and how biologically we aren't adults until about 25yo.

Considering some of the things I am going through with my teen daughter right now, this video seems like it will help me be a little more patient with her.
    This is great thanks for sharing. Wish my parents had seen this...

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it work if I'm dealing with myself?
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Galen,
    I don't see why it wouldn't, heheh.
    I think you're pretty covered, though. Like in the case of 'losing half your mind', you've already been actively pursuing your interests, so it's not like that good stuff is at risk of being lost.
    And you already seem ok with thinking about long term consequences.
    I dunno how you are with the emotional thing, but you seem rather even-keeled to me. (Not that i cant imagine you getting angry like she showed, but I think you have the skills to usually alter it into something more useful.)

@sssonyyy,
    Yeah, I think it'd be great of more parents saw this...even teens.
    Tomorrow my daughter will watch it with me so we can talk about it. We've previously talked about stress arousal systems, this video will give her another view of that. But also I am hoping that the mention of long term consequences and the part about the brain not losing what she'll actively be working on during this time of her life, will help her understand some of why I mention some things. That it's not to be a "power hungry bitch" but because I think certain tasks and abilities are important to practice so that their benefits can carry over into her adulthood. Examples of what I am referring to is since she knows what she wants to do as her career (baker), then jobs that develop on those skills should take precedence over getting just "any ol' job". Like today she was upset because one of her teachers mentioned a job at a deli. So my daughter and I talked about the tasks a deli worker would be doing, and how those experiences could transfer over to a bakery job. Or how getting into a store she likes can help her get her foot into the door of helping the bakery section of the store until she can transfer over to that section.

Ayhoot...I'll know tomorrow how well the video might go over, heh.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp