Thread: GMO Foods

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default GMO Foods

Ok, so I know why people would get behind non-GMO foods and this is mostly out of passion for "wholesome" food. I'm very concerned however that people aren't well informed about the befits of GMO foods.

Benefits being:

1. Disease resistance
    2. Drought resistance - other climate modifications
    3. Enhance nutritional qualities
    4. Efficiency in feeding a growing world population...soon to be 9 Billion...how can we expect to do this without some serious considerations?

What else?

I, for one buy enriched pasta. I read the label and I don't have to be convinced that it's so much better for me. If I can get pasta that has more calcium than the regular stuff that has nearly no nutrients and just carbs and little fiber, why wouldn't I want to eat that? I do. It's good for me.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Enlighten us?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but... stuff!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For starters,
    I'm not interested in ingesting large amounts of pesticides. Some of the GMOs are created to carry pesticides within their cell structure, including the parts eaten by humans and animals. No amount of washing it will get the pesticide out of the food, nor out of the animal's fat.

These roundup ready plants kill and/or lead to the killing of beneficial insects, including honey bee populations (which are already struggling to survive) but other pollenators, and those animals which eat the pollenators. But those aren't the only beneficials these plants kill...they also destroy soil life which breaks down the matter and provides the plants access to the nutrients which the plant needs to be healthy. This also reduces the quality of vitamins and minerals in the foods we get from those plants.

Now, you may enjoy having your food have dna from deadly viruses/bacteria which wouldn't naturally infect the plants, but for me, I would prefer to skip the ecoli in my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And hey, if you want fish crossbred with your grains, go for it, but please keep it out of Mine.

GMO plants are not contained, and so are free to contaminate other plants. Not just one or two, but entire fields. If GMOs are allowed so much freedom, soon there won't be any natural foods available...and every single person in every single country will have to pay a Corporation for their food...not even being able to grow their own crops...and likely even getting sued for trying to.

Now, if something in our body was as invasive and caused such changes to the cell structure in the human body we'd call this cancer. In plants and animals we call it an invasive species and would set to work to eradicate it before it destroys the local ecology. But when GMO companies take actions that lead to eradicating our natural food supplies...uneducated people call it a benefit?
    Last edited by anndelise; 09-21-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    What else?
    5. Glows in the dark
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maritsa ate a lot of GMO it seems. Those humanists...

Last edited by Absurd; 09-21-2013 at 03:44 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To properly absorb calcium you need several nutrients: vitamin k, some fat so you can actually absorb the vitamin k, magnesium and vitamin d to absorb the calcium.

cheese(calcium) + spinach(magnesium/calcium/vitamin K) + wild salmon(vitamin d).....throw in some purslane(magnesium/calcium/b vitamins/ALA), maybe some swiss chard(vitamin K), tomato(vitamin C/vitamin A), broccoli florets(vitamin C/sulforaphane), fresh chopped brussel sprouts(indole-3-carbinol), maybe some dandelion(beta carotene) shred fish thrwo on top of veggies, shred some cheese, throw on top of fish = plenty of calcium and nutrients necessary to digest, no junk food pasta necessary. I like pasta sometimes, like casseroles if i'm feeling lazy, but it's junk food enriched with nutrients with low bioavailabilty, but reeally as soon as they start planting gmo wheat I'm no longer eating pasta. I dun support ruining pefectly gud soil.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    To properly absorb calcium you need several nutrients: vitamin k, some fat so you can actually absorb the vitamin k, magnesium and vitamin d to absorb the calcium.

cheese(calcium) + spinach(magnesium/calcium/vitamin K) + wild salmon(vitamin d).....throw in some purslane(magnesium/calcium/b vitamins/ALA), maybe some swiss chard(vitamin K), tomato(vitamin C/vitamin A), broccoli florets(vitamin C/sulforaphane), fresh chopped brussel sprouts(indole-3-carbinol), maybe some dandelion(beta carotene) shred fish thrwo on top of veggies, shred some cheese, throw on top of fish = plenty of calcium and nutrients necessary to digest, no junk food pasta necessary. I like pasta sometimes, like casseroles if i'm feeling lazy, but it's junk food enriched with nutrients with low bioavailabilty, but reeally as soon as they start planting gmo wheat I'm no longer eating pasta. I dun support ruining pefectly gud soil.
    don't mention brussels sprouts on this forum it's become another cuss word
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    4. Efficiency in feeding a growing world population...soon to be 9 Billion...how can we expect to do this without some serious considerations?
    Now really? Are you kidding?

We already have enough food to feed the whole world over and over again, but this is not happening in a globalized, overall capitalistic world. Most people just think of how they can earn money in the most efficient way, they don't care about people.

Just a short example of how things are working:
    Industrial live stock farming: You need a lot of food for all those cows and pigs and chicken. So you cut away some hectares of rainforest and plant corn or grain. With this amount of carbohydrates it would be possible to stop world hunger once and for all, but we rather feed it to cows. Many cows that also produce a lot carbondioxide (more than cars) and are thus also responsible for climatic change. Now we feed the cows also a lot of antibiotics, so they don't get sick. And then we slaughter them. The beef and pork ends up at the supermarket where only a small amount gets actually bought by customers, who could maybe by eating all those antibiotics develop a resistance against it. The rest of the meat gets thrown away. And in Africa children die of hunger.

This is how it works. And this is how it will always work, because there will always be greedy people who are only interested in themselves.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...