Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: GMO Foods

  1. #1
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default GMO Foods

    Ok, so I know why people would get behind non-GMO foods and this is mostly out of passion for "wholesome" food. I'm very concerned however that people aren't well informed about the befits of GMO foods.

    Benefits being:

    1. Disease resistance
    2. Drought resistance - other climate modifications
    3. Enhance nutritional qualities
    4. Efficiency in feeding a growing world population...soon to be 9 Billion...how can we expect to do this without some serious considerations?


    What else?

    I, for one buy enriched pasta. I read the label and I don't have to be convinced that it's so much better for me. If I can get pasta that has more calcium than the regular stuff that has nearly no nutrients and just carbs and little fiber, why wouldn't I want to eat that? I do. It's good for me.

  2. #2
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Enlighten us?
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  3. #3
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, but... stuff!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  4. #4
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For starters,
    I'm not interested in ingesting large amounts of pesticides. Some of the GMOs are created to carry pesticides within their cell structure, including the parts eaten by humans and animals. No amount of washing it will get the pesticide out of the food, nor out of the animal's fat.

    These roundup ready plants kill and/or lead to the killing of beneficial insects, including honey bee populations (which are already struggling to survive) but other pollenators, and those animals which eat the pollenators. But those aren't the only beneficials these plants kill...they also destroy soil life which breaks down the matter and provides the plants access to the nutrients which the plant needs to be healthy. This also reduces the quality of vitamins and minerals in the foods we get from those plants.

    Now, you may enjoy having your food have dna from deadly viruses/bacteria which wouldn't naturally infect the plants, but for me, I would prefer to skip the ecoli in my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And hey, if you want fish crossbred with your grains, go for it, but please keep it out of Mine.

    GMO plants are not contained, and so are free to contaminate other plants. Not just one or two, but entire fields. If GMOs are allowed so much freedom, soon there won't be any natural foods available...and every single person in every single country will have to pay a Corporation for their food...not even being able to grow their own crops...and likely even getting sued for trying to.

    Now, if something in our body was as invasive and caused such changes to the cell structure in the human body we'd call this cancer. In plants and animals we call it an invasive species and would set to work to eradicate it before it destroys the local ecology. But when GMO companies take actions that lead to eradicating our natural food supplies...uneducated people call it a benefit?
    Last edited by anndelise; 09-21-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  5. #5
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    What else?
    5. Glows in the dark
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maritsa ate a lot of GMO it seems. Those humanists...

    Last edited by Absurd; 09-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Idiot Iris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation
    .


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    White
    TIM
    FSE
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To properly absorb calcium you need several nutrients: vitamin k, some fat so you can actually absorb the vitamin k, magnesium and vitamin d to absorb the calcium.

    cheese(calcium) + spinach(magnesium/calcium/vitamin K) + wild salmon(vitamin d).....throw in some purslane(magnesium/calcium/b vitamins/ALA), maybe some swiss chard(vitamin K), tomato(vitamin C/vitamin A), broccoli florets(vitamin C/sulforaphane), fresh chopped brussel sprouts(indole-3-carbinol), maybe some dandelion(beta carotene) shred fish thrwo on top of veggies, shred some cheese, throw on top of fish = plenty of calcium and nutrients necessary to digest, no junk food pasta necessary. I like pasta sometimes, like casseroles if i'm feeling lazy, but it's junk food enriched with nutrients with low bioavailabilty, but reeally as soon as they start planting gmo wheat I'm no longer eating pasta. I dun support ruining pefectly gud soil.

  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    To properly absorb calcium you need several nutrients: vitamin k, some fat so you can actually absorb the vitamin k, magnesium and vitamin d to absorb the calcium.

    cheese(calcium) + spinach(magnesium/calcium/vitamin K) + wild salmon(vitamin d).....throw in some purslane(magnesium/calcium/b vitamins/ALA), maybe some swiss chard(vitamin K), tomato(vitamin C/vitamin A), broccoli florets(vitamin C/sulforaphane), fresh chopped brussel sprouts(indole-3-carbinol), maybe some dandelion(beta carotene) shred fish thrwo on top of veggies, shred some cheese, throw on top of fish = plenty of calcium and nutrients necessary to digest, no junk food pasta necessary. I like pasta sometimes, like casseroles if i'm feeling lazy, but it's junk food enriched with nutrients with low bioavailabilty, but reeally as soon as they start planting gmo wheat I'm no longer eating pasta. I dun support ruining pefectly gud soil.
    don't mention brussels sprouts on this forum it's become another cuss word

  10. #10
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree.

  11. #11
    not a bumblebee octo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    TIM
    IEI 4-6-9 apparently
    Posts
    2,744
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Agriculture at the moment has a lot of problems, such as poor pesticide practices, creation of monocultures, global food inequality etc. It's easy to blame everything on GMOs, but it's also unconstructive, when those poor farming practices aren't being addressed, and GMOs have so much potential for solving global food problems e.g. golden rice, which is being distributed for free to farmers in areas with Vitamin A deficiency.

    The health effects of GMOs have been studied more than any other type of food, and the only studies that show negative effects were laughably bad and conducted by hardcore interest groups.

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    For starters,
    I'm not interested in ingesting large amounts of pesticides. Some of the GMOs are created to carry pesticides within their cell structure, including the parts eaten by humans and animals. No amount of washing it will get the pesticide out of the food, nor out of the animal's fat.
    There are a lot of things that are harmful to insects and not humans. Garlic water and chilli oil, for example, are popular homemade pesticides, and I don't think you'd have a problem eating those, so a blanket statement on pesticides is, to me, impulsive rather than logical.

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    These roundup ready plants kill and/or lead to the killing of beneficial insects, including honey bee populations (which are already struggling to survive) but other pollenators, and those animals which eat the pollenators. But those aren't the only beneficials these plants kill...they also destroy soil life which breaks down the matter and provides the plants access to the nutrients which the plant needs to be healthy. This also reduces the quality of vitamins and minerals in the foods we get from those plants.
    Roundup ready plants have led to farmers being more liberal with Roundup, yes, but at the same time, the GMO species with inbuilt pesticides would reduce dependence on pesticides. So this would be more of an effect of poor farming practices, rather than a flaw inherent in GMO species. There's also potential for more control of the nutrients in plant foods via GMO than traditional cross breeding, e.g. the high vitamin A in golden rice again.

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Now, you may enjoy having your food have dna from deadly viruses/bacteria which wouldn't naturally infect the plants, but for me, I would prefer to skip the ecoli in my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And hey, if you want fish crossbred with your grains, go for it, but please keep it out of Mine.
    Having DNA from radically different species isn't really that weird - that's the beauty of biology, living things have more stuff in common than you'd think. We share 85% of the same DNA as zebra fish, and 15% with mustard grass. Not all strains of E coli are bad for you, and in fact you have lots of happy E coli in your gut - it's only the strains which produce toxins that are bad for you, and the obvious solution GMO-wise is just not to copy the part of the DNA which produces those toxins.

    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    GMO plants are not contained, and so are free to contaminate other plants. Not just one or two, but entire fields. If GMOs are allowed so much freedom, soon there won't be any natural foods available...and every single person in every single country will have to pay a Corporation for their food...not even being able to grow their own crops...and likely even getting sued for trying to.
    I'm not saying Monsanto aren't evil like every other monopolistic company, but the whole "suing farmers for pollen blowing around" thing is a myth.

    I think the whole anti-GMO, pro-organic movement is a massive appeal to nature groupthink first world country thing that's slowly being unravelled. Even David Suzuki is starting to come round. In the end, I see GMO as a tool, like crossbreeding, which can be used for good or for bad - it's a particularly powerful tool which means it's capable of significantly more good and more bad than crossbreeding, but I'm not convinced there's anything inherently bad about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    Nobody here...besides me, seems to know what SLE is except for maybe Maritsa.

  12. #12
    kadda1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hessen, Germany
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    4. Efficiency in feeding a growing world population...soon to be 9 Billion...how can we expect to do this without some serious considerations?
    Now really? Are you kidding?

    We already have enough food to feed the whole world over and over again, but this is not happening in a globalized, overall capitalistic world. Most people just think of how they can earn money in the most efficient way, they don't care about people.

    Just a short example of how things are working:
    Industrial live stock farming: You need a lot of food for all those cows and pigs and chicken. So you cut away some hectares of rainforest and plant corn or grain. With this amount of carbohydrates it would be possible to stop world hunger once and for all, but we rather feed it to cows. Many cows that also produce a lot carbondioxide (more than cars) and are thus also responsible for climatic change. Now we feed the cows also a lot of antibiotics, so they don't get sick. And then we slaughter them. The beef and pork ends up at the supermarket where only a small amount gets actually bought by customers, who could maybe by eating all those antibiotics develop a resistance against it. The rest of the meat gets thrown away. And in Africa children die of hunger.

    This is how it works. And this is how it will always work, because there will always be greedy people who are only interested in themselves.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •