Thread: What do you like about the place where you live?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do you like about the place where you live?

Your region, city, neighborhood, or building - tell a little about what you like about it.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's warm, it's dry, the people are friendly, it's small enough to bike across in a couple of hours, the bushes smell like rain, the forests dance, and dinosaurs live nearby.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was beta infested, but not any more.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ive moved around a lot in my life (within the same state) but the city i live in now has been like the center i always end up back in somehow or another. so i have a sense of familiarity with the things around me and memories associated with various buildings or trees or streets or parks. a lot of my family has spent a lot of time in this city, too, and i hear about its history and how its changed. and it just feels like my domain. but its not so small and isolated as to be completely mastered or suffocating.

i like that there are a lot of trees and green things. i didn't realize how important they were to me until i did travel across country and when i came back i wanted to hug all the trees. walking or driving down the residential streets and looking upwards, you can see the trees surrounding you on both sides and covering the sky and its like wearing a comfortable sweater around you and its cradling the space around you that exists outside of your skin. and you're not going to tumble or float away.

i like that i live across the street from most of the shopping i need to do. and my favorite restaurant. and only a couple blocks from the library. and i can get to those places via a shortcut using a path bordering a small wooded area. i like that i live next door to my son's best friend and less than a mile from his dad. i like that two blocks away there is sometimes a taco truck parked in the summer. i like that my apartment is sort of old and has a lot of wood fixtures and doesn't have the generic floor plan and features that you see in most other apartments in the area. i like that in the fall there are lots of tiny frogs that hop around in the grass.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forests and fields everywhere although this is supposed to be a city by Finnish standards. This house is nice because people know they can just walk in. We don't often lock the doors and people just come and go as they please.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

That I am unlikely to drown.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. It´s fairly green
    2. People aren´t particularly stuck-up
    3. It´s in a central area in Europe and you can quickly reach most places in 1h30m by plane
    4. I live in a turkish neighborhood and it´s very lively at night during the spring-summer, people are always outside chatting drinking wine playing cards etc. that makes for a nice atmosphere.
    5. The city is very multicultural and you can find good food from all over the world, especially the middle east.

otherwise tbh it very much sucks compared to my hometown.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Colorado has turned out great. I love living in Denver west metro. Being nestled just at the base of the foothills, but not too far into the wilderness to be out of suburbia, affords me a sweet spot for calm, mild weather (save the occasional wind storm) while the rest of the metro area may get pounded by heavy snow, blizzard conditions, or severe thunderstorms during the rainy season. The temperatures remain fairly mild, and the sun at this elevation is strong enough to make 45 degree weather feel like a day at the beach, provided there is minimal cloud cover and calm winds.

I'm roughly equidistant from the mountains and downtown; each are about a 20 minute drive in light traffic and good weather. A perfect balance between life outdoors (snow skiing/boarding, fishing, river rafting, hiking, camping, hunting, etc) and life in the city (clubs, concert venues, sporting events, night life, etc), with the calm and serenity that comes with residing in a middle class suburb.

Parks, museums, zoos, aquariums, wildlife refuges, you name it and Colorado's got it! Breathtaking views are just outside my doorstep. Within short walking distance of my apartment complex is a sizeable ridge that delineates the start of the front range. Deemed a state park, there are hiking trails to the summit that offers a beautiful panoramic of downtown Denver and surrounding suburbs to the east, with the tall, jagged and occasionally snowcapped peaks of the Rocky Mountains to the west. All one needs to do is make the ascent and turn in a three-sixty. It's all right there.

Among the amenities that I enjoy from where I live is an excellent public transportation system, with bus and light rail trains serving all of greater Denver and beyond. Special buses operated during certain hours (typically rush hours) by the Regional Transportation District will even take you to neighboring cities like Boulder, a college town rife with smoking hot women and dirty pot smoking hippies. If you've got a car, then Boulder is just a quick, scenic 45 minute drive north that parallels the front range, dividing the mountains from the urban sprawl of the greater metro area. There's also regular bus service that ferries passengers to and from Denver's international airport (which I recently learned is apparently one of the top 10 busiest international aerodromes in all the world).

In addition, I am easily within walking distance of three grocery stores (the closest specializing in natural and organic produce and other foodstuffs), a variety of top notch restaurants, a major transfer station for the aforementioned bus and light rail system, a handful of shopping districts (some outdoors), a popular watering hole that frequently hosts live local entertainment, a few parks, and a community swimming pool in the late spring and summer months. Need I say that I love it here?

tl;dr I love it here

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some of those stories are pretty romantic...

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the dim/dark swanky wine bars that are popping up in the downtown area.

That's about it.

It's overcrowded, fairly high crime rate where I live and work, too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, extreme humidity and pollen in the spring, shit ton of bugs. There's the mountains to the west, beach to the east, but getting to either is usually a pain in the ass due to traffic. Wrecks happen every morning on the way to work (people can not drive worth a shit). Rednecks on one side, gangsters on the other. obnoxious pretentious hipsters consume the parts that aren't redneck or gangster. Public transportation is unsafe and no one uses it. Everyone I work with or pretty much know (aside from actual friends) thinks they are the star of their own reality show (via facebook, how they take pictures of absolutely everything, how they turn current world events into how exactly it affects them on every.single.topic).

I think I've about had it here. Time to move soon.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I wake up in the blurred state... and then I take a look over the window and I see water... a lot of water... my face clears up.
    I am extremely lucky to have a sea view. It's not overlooked and quite calm here even if I live in a huge city.
    And a sunny weather. Also a stunning nature around. The local food is fantastic.
    I guess I am lucky.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I live on a lake and it is beautiful and peaceful with lots of wildlife. I am 4 miles from the Gulf and in between two small beaches. My neighbors aren't really nosy and everyone keeps to themselves. We all smile and wave at each other when someone drives by, even if we've never spoke a word to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Pics I took around my house and backyard. I suck at photography but I was happy with them. My hand could have been steadier.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW